+ Reply
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Apple's iPhone Losing Ground to Sony in Japan

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
...
  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Posts
    3,612
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

    Default Apple's iPhone Losing Ground to Sony in Japan


    Apple is, undoubtedly, a major force to reckon with across Asia, as the iPhone maker remains a dominant player in both the smartphone and tablet spaces today.

    Earlier this spring, as MMi reported in March, Apple - for the first time in the company's history - secured the top spot among all consumer brands in Japan in Nikkeiís annual brand ranking.

    But while the Apple brand is still strong in Japan, competitors are slowly and steadily chipping away at Apple's market share. In particular, Sony Corp.ís share of Japanís smartphone market has now climbed to a three-year high, widening its lead over Apple's iPhone.

    Sony has more than doubled its share of shipments to 36 percent in the past four weeks as Apple dropped to 25 percent in the same period, according to researcher BCN Inc. DoCoMo, with more than 60 million subscribers in a nation of 127 million people, is focusing on just two handsets for promotions to cut costs as it remains the only carrier that doesnít sell iPhones.
    With regard to Samsung, a new report from Bloomberg reveals, unit sales for smartphone maker have slipped for the second consecutive week to 13 percent of the Japanese market. Domestic market share for Sharp Corp. fell to 7.9 percent last week (that's down from 10.3 percent four weeks earlier).

    The bottom line? Sony is on the rise in Japan, while Sharp, Samsung, and Apple are falling fast.

    Source: Bloomberg

  2. #2
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    1,128
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 87 Times in 71 Posts

    Japanese national pride is very strong, always try to buy Japan manufactured product as much as they can.
    Not surprised Apple and Samsung losing ground in Japanese market.

  3. #3
    iPhone? More like MyPhone jwil736's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Masshole
    Posts
    290
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts

    They'll have to recheck their numbers when the 5s comes out!

  4. #4
    My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    696
    Thanks
    50
    Thanked 61 Times in 51 Posts

    iPhone losing ground everywhere. Not just Japan.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to hogcia For This Useful Post:

    Mohit555 (06-14-2013)

  6. #5
    My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    747
    Thanks
    396
    Thanked 76 Times in 61 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    iPhone losing ground everywhere. Not just Japan.
    Thank you for your valuable input.

  7. #6
    My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    696
    Thanks
    50
    Thanked 61 Times in 51 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    Thank you for your valuable input.
    My pleasure.

  8. #7
    iPhone? More like MyPhone jwil736's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Masshole
    Posts
    290
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    My pleasure.
    He meant valuable as in not and without any data backing up your claim.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to jwil736 For This Useful Post:

    vinaygoel2000 (06-16-2013)

  10. #8
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    407
    Thanks
    75
    Thanked 49 Times in 31 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    Thank you for your valuable input.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwil736 View Post
    He meant valuable as in not and without any data backing up your claim.
    http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/06/son...tphone-market/
    http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/06/and...-market-share/
    http://macdailynews.com/2013/05/14/g...-market-share/
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...in-survey.html
    http://news.investors.com/060713-659...ing-ground.htm
    (some financial loss of ground, some preference related loss of ground)
    And the biggest loss of ground, the DATA of which you speak
    http://finance.yahoo.com/q?d=t&s=AAPL

    His input actually had some value which can't be said for some others here.


    As hogcia stated, they are losing ground every where. I will continue to use iPhone because I'm invested in the system but there are some really nice devices out there and I hope apple decides to make a bigger, better device. OR at least give consumers the option for such a device. I would love to have an iPhone the size of an S4..... one can hope!!
    Last edited by rkswat; 06-16-2013 at 01:52 AM.

  11. #9
    Livin the iPhone Life bigboyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North East Coast
    Posts
    1,541
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 170 Times in 122 Posts

    Apple is supposedly making multiple options for the next iPhone release. Lets be honest, Apple has done way more than hold their own with one single phone offering. How would Android have done with one single device for 6-7 years? Exactly!

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboyz For This Useful Post:

    HovikGas (06-16-2013)

  13. #10
    My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    747
    Thanks
    396
    Thanked 76 Times in 61 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
    http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/06/son...tphone-market/
    http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/06/and...-market-share/
    http://macdailynews.com/2013/05/14/g...-market-share/
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...in-survey.html
    http://news.investors.com/060713-659...ing-ground.htm
    (some financial loss of ground, some preference related loss of ground)
    And the biggest loss of ground, the DATA of which you speak
    http://finance.yahoo.com/q?d=t&s=AAPL

    His input actually had some value which can't be said for some others here.


    As hogcia stated, they are losing ground every where. I will continue to use iPhone because I'm invested in the system but there are some really nice devices out there and I hope apple decides to make a bigger, better device. OR at least give consumers the option for such a device. I would love to have an iPhone the size of an S4..... one can hope!!
    You really believe everything on the Internet is true? If so, check these out:

    http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/04/...-share-in-u-s/

    http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news...-report-366759

    http://www.patentlyapple.com/patentl...oid-in-us.html

    http://www.benzinga.com/news/13/04/3...g-market-share

    http://www.electronista.com/articles...ft.blackberry/

    Shall I keep going?

    You are welcome.

  14. #11
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    407
    Thanks
    75
    Thanked 49 Times in 31 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Apple is supposedly making multiple options for the next iPhone release. Lets be honest, Apple has done way more than hold their own with one single phone offering. How would Android have done with one single device for 6-7 years? Exactly!
    Totally agree.... Plus with a yearly refresh as apposed to the almost endless refresh rates of some android based devices.

    Galaxy S released June 2010. Now just 3 years later they are working on the S5.... yeah 4 phones in 3 years seems a bit overboard with the refresh rate IMHO.
    Last edited by rkswat; 06-16-2013 at 11:52 PM.

  15. #12
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    407
    Thanks
    75
    Thanked 49 Times in 31 Posts



    LoL... don't cry! It's ok if the mighty apple isn't on top any more. As a matter of fact it's better for those that use their products that they are being knocked down a peg or two. I do see you didn't argue with the only link that REALLY matters..... AAPL: Summary for Apple Inc.- Yahoo! Finance

    So dry your tears and buck up little camper, it'll all be ok.

  16. #13
    iPhoneaholic quidam_brujah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    469
    Thanks
    84
    Thanked 37 Times in 28 Posts

    I was in Tokyo (Shinjuku) for a week about 3 weeks ago and while I did see a lot of iPhones, I saw many more non-iPhones -- Sony was a noticeable brand, though I couldn't tell the model.

    Apple tech (is) will get stale if there's no competition. So, agreeing with rkswat, this may be good for Apple owners.

  17. #14
    My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    747
    Thanks
    396
    Thanked 76 Times in 61 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
    LoL... don't cry! It's ok if the mighty apple isn't on top any more. As a matter of fact it's better for those that use their products that they are being knocked down a peg or two. I do see you didn't argue with the only link that REALLY matters..... AAPL: Summary for Apple Inc.- Yahoo! Finance

    So dry your tears and buck up little camper, it'll all be ok.
    As Mark Twain said, "Never argue with stupid people...", I will shut up now.

  18. #15
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    407
    Thanks
    75
    Thanked 49 Times in 31 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    As Mark Twain said, "Never argue with stupid people...", I will shut up now.
    As I say, when you can't win an argument with facts, run away like a little beotch!

    I know you can't argue with apple's freefall stock price so you try and insult me and run away.... Again, it's ok. You'll wake up tomorrow and your iPhone, iPad, mac, MacBook, iPod, ect ect will still work. Of course the stock you bought at $700 hoping it would keep going up and up not doing so well but hey..... apple isn't losing ground now are they?

    The world see's apple isn't top dog anymore, why can't the iSheep? Again I say that's a good thing.

  19. #16
    My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    696
    Thanks
    50
    Thanked 61 Times in 51 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
    As I say, when you can't win an argument with facts, run away like a little beotch!

    I know you can't argue with apple's freefall stock price so you try and insult me and run away.... Again, it's ok. You'll wake up tomorrow and your iPhone, iPad, mac, MacBook, iPod, ect ect will still work. Of course the stock you bought at $700 hoping it would keep going up and up not doing so well but hey..... apple isn't losing ground now are they?

    The world see's apple isn't top dog anymore, why can't the iSheep? Again I say that's a good thing.
    Thank you!

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts