Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS 7 Beta Allows Users to Redeem iTunes Gift Cards With the Camera

Default iOS 7 Beta Allows Users to Redeem iTunes Gift Cards With the Camera

It appears that iOS 7 comes with a new feature that gives users the option to scan iTunes gift cards with the device's camera to redeem their value for App Store credits. The credits can be used for iTunes, App Store, and iBooks purchases.

Back in November of last year, iTunes 11 also came with a similar feature allowing Mac users to take advantage of the iSight camera to redeem iTunes gift cards via image capture. The computer would then examine the picture and determine the iTunes gift card code with text recognition to add the balance to the user's iTunes account.

Citing AppleInsider, the feature is available via the “Use Camera” link in the App Store and that the device will warn users to match up the rear-facing camera's box indicator with the box surrounding the iTunes code on the back of the iTunes gift card, as shown above. Matching up the lines is important for the text recognition process.

The new iTunes gift card scanning feature is important for both accessibility and for ease of use. iOS 7 is currently in its initial beta stages and can only be accessed by Apple’s registered developers, but the firmware upgrade will be available for everyone coming this Fall along with OS X Mavericks.

Sources: AppleInsider
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 06-13-2013 at 11:15 AM.

Correction to that final paragraph, "or people who know to go to YouTube and use that to get it". Lol. But that's awesome and I can't wait to use it in the near future.

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

Someone needs to make an app to scan lottery tickets and check if they are winners or not. (power ball for example) I know California has the scan machines where they sell tickets, but it doesn't work for powerball and requires you to go back to the store.

Thanks

Yes, I like that idea^^. I always have to go to the store to scan my tickets, just in case..haha!