+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Reuters: Apple Exploring Variety of Possibilities to Expand its iPhone Lineup

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Reuters: Apple Exploring Variety of Possibilities to expand its iPhone Lineup

A recent report claims that Apple is looking into a variety of possibilities to expand its iPhone lineup for 2013 and 2013, including cheaper pricing, larger screen sizes and multiple colors. According to Reuters, four people with knowledge of Apple’s plans say the company is investigating a number of iPhone models for 2014, such as a $99 iteration, 4.7-inch and 5.7-inch iterations and models with color options extending beyond the current black and white offerings.

While the sources appear to be reiterating previous rumors that have been afloat for months now, they claim to have direct knowledge of the situation via suppliers within Asia that are fielding inquiries from Apple regarding iPhones with larger displays. More specifically, these people said the company has narrowed down possible screen sizes to 4.7 and 5.7 inches, with the possibility of two “bigger” models being introduced next year.

The publication reports Apple’s rumored iPhones are a direct response to Samsung’s performance in the smartphone market, which has been outpacing Apple since mid-2012. As per the usual, sources hedged their statements by noting Apple “constantly change[s] product specification almost to the final moment, so you’re not really sure whether this is the final prototype.”

One of the more interesting things found in the report details regarding a lower cost iPhone, which sources said could be priced as low as $99. As widely speculated the entry-level handset is to be produced in a variety of colors and will be made of plastic to keep costs down. Reuters apparently received conflicting reports though regarding the cheaper iPhone as one of its sources claimed the handset may not launch until 2013, while others said test runs are already scheduled for July ahead of mass production in August. According to one of the sources:

Trial production was originally planned to start in June, but the mixing of colours is taking longer than expected as Apple has very high and idealistic standards.
    We’ll have to see how much of the rumors come to fruition and how many get debunked when more concrete evidence is released.

Source: Reuters via AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone sharp2G's Avatar
    Thanks

Make 3 different iPhone sizes. The 4" affordable iPhone, maybe a 4" or 4.5" high quality iPhone and a 5.5"+ iPhablet to satisfy a wide range of consumer wants. #profit

Banned
    Thanks

Just a heads up i think you got 2013 & 2014 mixed up a few times in the article

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xhazex9x For This Useful Post:

brownlace (06-13-2013), slim.jim (06-13-2013)

Thanks

I don't care for all the different colors, but I understand a more affordable iPhone to play in that specific market.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

Colors or not just widen the screen about and inch or two.

iPhone? More like MyPhone bigbaba's Avatar
    Thanks

Let me make calls from my ipad mini and I'll be happy

iPhone? More like MyPhone SpidermanAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

I feel like a minority, but I personally love the size of the iPhone 5! It fits perfectly in my hand and my thumb covers the whole screen. I feel if they make the 4" model "low end" that will be a reason for me to leave Apple, not stay with it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone evolution83's Avatar
    Thanks

wow 5.7? seems large, but I like the idea. 4.7 would probably be enough for me...i'd just have to see pictures first

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpidermanAPV View Post
    I feel like a minority, but I personally love the size of the iPhone 5! It fits perfectly in my hand and my thumb covers the whole screen. I feel if they make the 4" model "low end" that will be a reason for me to leave Apple, not stay with it.
    Don't blub - the larger versions are additions not replacements for the current one.
    If Jobs had been just a smidgeon less stubborn, Apple could have started turning out different sized iPhones at least four years ago and in so doing, saved losing at least 30% market share to Android manufacturers.
    It may be that his death turns out to be what saves Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by evolution83 View Post
    wow 5.7? seems large, but I like the idea. 4.7 would probably be enough for me...i'd just have to see pictures first
    Well, it's a Phablet - but Samsung's Notes have proved that there's a substantial market for them.

I love how people say "This is enough for me", "That's enough for me" ... like Apple is waiting to take a personal order from them or something.

The market has shown what it wants - and Apple is finally able to cater to demand rather than deluding itself that the market caters to it.
    Last edited by iPhoneThereforeIAm; 06-14-2013 at 04:55 AM.

Thanks

We have been hearing this one the longest..more sizes and colors. Im wondering if it will ever come to light. Seems like a win win if they persue it. Android is on Apples heals because of options, not the OS. So if Apple gives more hardware options..well you get the point.