+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'Smudge' Adds a Blur Effect to the Home Screen When the App Switcher is Open

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Looking to spice up your App Switcher a little bit? Check out a new free jailbreak tweak called Smudge by iOS developer SuperDev. Smudge is very simple. As shown above,
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default 'Smudge' Adds a Blur Effect to the Home Screen When the App Switcher is Open

Looking to spice up your App Switcher a little bit? Check out a new free jailbreak tweak called Smudge by iOS developer SuperDev.

Smudge is very simple. As shown above, the tweak adds a Gaussian blur effect to the home screen while the App Switcher is open, rather than simply reducing the opacity of the application icons and leaving the wallpaper easily seen.

The tweak merely has a cosmetic effect for users, and not much functionality at all, but hey, some people are into that kind of modification stuff. Smudge has no options to configure, and it starts changing the way your App Switcher looks as soon as you install the tweak.

Notably, the tweak works with Apple’s stock App Switcher, and even with the popular Auxo App Switcher jailbreak tweak. Smudge is completely free in Cydia’s BigBoss repository, so if you’re interested in giving it a try, head over to Cydia, refresh your sources, and put “Smudge” in the search bar.

Name: Smudge
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0-39
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: SuperDev
    Editor's Rating:  3/5

Thanks
    Thanked 1,611 Times in 781 Posts

Got this and like the idea of it. I kinda feel like there needs to be a smoother transition from 'clear to blur' and vice-versa. Besides that, I enjoy this tweak!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

It takes and makes a blurred image of the multi-tasking bar too. Not sure why it has to do this, but not very clean at all.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by edwilk55 View Post
    It takes and makes a blurred image of the multi-tasking bar too. Not sure why it has to do this, but not very clean at all.

That's odd. I don't get that issue. Uninstall and try again?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mahboi View Post
    That's odd. I don't get that issue. Uninstall and try again?
    I'm not getting that issue either. I think this could be a jailbreak tweak conflict.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

do you use a swipe gesture to open the multi-tasking bar? I get that when I swipe up from the bottom, but not when I double click my home button

Green Apple
    Thanks

It seems that the issue with duplicating the app switcher is caused by zephyr. When you drag up to invoke the switcher via Zephyr, Smudge seems to not take a screenshot until you're done dragging - thus the app switcher is in the blurred background. If, however, you invoke the app switcher using the normal double tap home button, even with Zephyr installed, Smudge works as expected.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by noraa View Post
    It seems that the issue with duplicating the app switcher is caused by zephyr. When you drag up to invoke the switcher via Zephyr, Smudge seems to not take a screenshot until you're done dragging - thus the app switcher is in the blurred background. If, however, you invoke the app switcher using the normal double tap home button, even with Zephyr installed, Smudge works as expected.
    That does seem to work, but as I never use the home button to invoke the app switcher, not helpful. Hopefully, a fix can be implemented by the dev, but hard to ask him to since it's a free tweak. Maybe though.

Thanks

It was happening to me too. I found the correlation. I have zephyr installed and evoking the multi tasking bar using zephyr (swiping up) causes this issue. However, using the home button does not.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    I'm not getting that issue either. I think this could be a jailbreak tweak conflict.
    I've contacted a developer. Got a reply after 5 seconds (LOL). He's aware of that issue and is working at the compatibility solution for Zephyr (iPhone 5).
    Last edited by N17REX; 06-12-2013 at 11:14 PM. Reason: New information

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by N17REX View Post
    I've contacted a developer. Got a reply after 5 seconds (LOL). He's aware of that issue and is working at the compatibility solution for Zephyr (iPhone 5).
    SuperDev is great with response speed