Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'AirPlayServer' is the Easiest Way to Turn an iOS Device Into an AirPlay Server

Default 'AirPlayServer' is the Easiest Way to Turn an iOS Device Into an AirPlay Server

AirPlay is a very useful feature Apple supports for accessories so you can play media wirelessly. Unfortunately, one thing Apple doesn’t allow you to do is use an iOS device as an AirPlay server for another iOS device.

For this reason, iOS developer iolate created a new free jailbreak tweak called AirPlayServer. The tweak is literally the easiest way to turn an iOS device into an AirPlay server so you can stream media to another iOS device wirelessly. After you have installed the tweak and enabled it from the tweak's preferences pane in the Settings application, you will be able to hop on any of your other AirPlay-supported iOS devices and find your AirPlay server device and start playing music from it.

As shown above in our iOS 7 Control Center where Apple gives us a way to connect to AirPlay devices, we can connect to our iPhone 4 that has AirPlayServer installed on it. You can also connect to AirPlay devices on non-iOS 7 devices by visiting the App Switcher and moving to the music controls page.

Notably, the only device that needs to be jailbroken to take advantage of this feature is the device that you want turned into an AirPlay server. All of your devices that you plan to use to stream music to your AirPlay server can be or not be jailbroken – it doesn’t matter.

AirPlayServer's preferences pane in the Settings application is dead simple. You can just enable or disable the server on demand. When the server is on, devices can connect to your AirPlay server. When the server is off, you will not be discoverable:

This feature comes in handy if the device you're streaming from has a damaged speaker and the device you're using as an AirPlay server has a good speaker. This way, you can still use your iOS device(s) as a way to listen to your music. If you don't have any broken speakers, it's still a cool way to show off.

AirPlayServer is completely free in Cydia’s BigBoss repository right now. If you want to give this cool tweak a try, go and grab it!

Name: AirPlayServer
    Price: FREE
    Version: 0.1-1
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: iolate
    Editor's Rating: / 4.5/5

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post

find your AirPlay server device and start playing music from it.
    I think you want to turn that sentence around to "playing music to it."

I'm really excited about this tweak. The Mackie DL1608 iPad controlled mixer will let you play music from the installed iPad without losing an input channel, but it has no playback controls, and switching apps to start a tune and then switching back to control the volume is awkward at best. This lets me play music from iTunes on my Macbook or from my phone or whatever. I tested it last night, and streamed to the 1st-gen iPad in my Mackie mixer for the better part of an hour. It did stop playing, so there are still some hitches.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Is it just me, or is this just the ATV AirTunes daemon in a different package (take a look at the file system contents when it is installed) and with a toggle added on? I'll admit, it's good to have the toggle. The only advantage this has is, when enabled, it is always active.

I installed it for a sec before realizing the above.
    Does the AirTunes daemon still have the choppiness issue when the screen is locked? And does it interfere with the rest of the audio system like it used to?

AirFloat doesn't have those particular issues, and even allows you to control the audio stream such as skipping tracks and displays album art in the lock screen. But it is not bad to have a few options.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

Doesn't AirFloat serve the same purpose?

Audio only? Bluetooth or WiFi? What happens if you try to view your 4" device's display output on your 3.5" device?

Thanks

Anyone have time to test this tweak more? Just wondering if its worth a peak..?

Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
    Audio only? Bluetooth or WiFi? What happens if you try to view your 4" device's display output on your 3.5" device?
    This is exactly my question. We have an iPad that we mount to the headrest in our car so our kids can watch movies/TV shows on long trips. The problem is that when one show is over and they want another it's a pain in the *** for the front seat passenger to twist around and select a new show.

Ideally I want an app that will allow us to remotely control the iPad over bluetooth with our iPhones. If there's no way to do that, then I'd love to be able to stream videos from the iPhone to the iPad. To be able to control the iPad remotely would be a godsend for us on road trips.

In case you're wondering, our kids are young and still tethered into car seats and are unable to reach the iPads while buckled in.

Banned
    Thanks

AirPhoto is available in App Store
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wu-x...9290?ls=1&mt=8