Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Hotspot 2.0 Feature in iOS 7 to Allow for Hassle-Free Wi-Fi Access

Thanks

Default Hotspot 2.0 Feature in iOS 7 to Allow for Hassle-Free Wi-Fi Access

Although not mentioned during Apple’s WWDC keynote, iOS 7 will be supporting Hotspot 2.0, a relatively new Wi-Fi technology which allows compatible devices to seamlessly connect to compatible hotspots without user interaction. The new feature is based on the Wi-Fi Alliance’s Passpoint project, which looks to automate connections to certified hotspots quickly and securely. This means iOS device users will one day no longer have to search for, select, and manually connect to certain access points.

For those of you who don’t know about it, Passpoint technology is aimed in part at cellular carriers, which offer Wi-Fi hotspots throughout a coverage area as a method to offload data burden. By using a cellular device’s SIM card, or another unique identifier, Hotspot 2.0 enabled devices are able to access these Wi-Fi networks without having to constantly put in credentials. This way users won’t have to go through the hassle and it’s a win/win for both the consumer and the carrier.

Both ends must meet the protocol in order for the technology to work, meaning that smartphone OEMs, manufacturers of Wi-Fi gateways, and service providers have to be a part of the program. So far the technology isn’t widespread, at least not to the point where it would be impactful to an iPhone user. However, Ars Technica noted that trials are currently underway with the participation from 30 operators. Consumer deployments are scheduled for release later this year, possibly in time for the expected rollout of Apple’s next-generation iPhone. This means that the technology may be a part of the next-gen iPhone which would definitely be a huge convenience.

Source: Ars Technica

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

"Impactful"?? Shudder...
    Quaerite et invenietis.

My iPhone is a Part of Me bmwraw8482's Avatar
    Thanks

Gotta love the English language... How often do we go 'is that a real word?'

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
    Gotta love the English language... How often do we go 'is that a real word?'
    Amazing no? It's incredible how this happens everywhere and to almost anyone. I am bilingual and let me tell you that these kind of things happen in Spanish too but it you know when you are wrong because the word sounds hideous.

I'm with AT&T so does that mean when I go somewhere that has an AT&T hotspot it will connect automatically?

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The6uest View Post
    I'm with AT&T so does that mean when I go somewhere that has an AT&T hotspot it will connect automatically?
    I have the same question. AT&T, Brighthouse, Airports, etc.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

just makes it easier to spy on the public. this reeks of big brother.

iPhone? More like MyPhone badass1469's Avatar
    Thanks

ive been having this since the 3g came out. cuz i have at&t so wen i got to starbucks, mcdonalds or an airport it connects automatically for me. even if I've never been there before