+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Officials Cautiously Optimistic with iOS 7 Anti-Theft Features

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by trevorrawson ...And lets be honest, for all I love Apple their user manuals are nothing more than how to charge and turn it on. Did you ever
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trevorrawson View Post
    ...And lets be honest, for all I love Apple their user manuals are nothing more than how to charge and turn it on.
    Did you ever take a look at the bookmarks on safari (on your iPhone)? There's a wonderful link names "iPhone User Guide". Yeah, it's all there: Find my iPhone is explained in Basics > Security Features

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    So maybe its as simple as disabling FMI when you're buying/selling an iDevice!
    problem is if you wipe your phone it needs the icloud password to activate it which is most likely you'll do when selling it

a keyfile requirement instead of a password would have been great

Thanks

I hope there is no whatsoever option to downgrade from ios7 to ios6 , Will this option be enable during restore too , I am currently using the Beta one and have restored my Phone twice it no option showed up to activate phone to downgrade , so if the phone is stole any one can restore in DFU mode isnt it ???

Banned
    Thanks

This Anti-Theft is FRIGGIN!!! ANNOYING!!!
    I get asked 3 times to put in my password everytime I load up iTunes now.
    Bit of an overkill if you ask me.
    Typical Apple. When they do things they do it all wrong and pi$$ off its users. The more Apple does the better Android and Google look.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,073 Times in 934 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cheaposity View Post
    I hope there is no whatsoever option to downgrade from ios7 to ios6 , Will this option be enable during restore too , I am currently using the Beta one and have restored my Phone twice it no option showed up to activate phone to downgrade , so if the phone is stole any one can restore in DFU mode isnt it ???
    During Beta phases, you're able to downgrade because Apple isn't officially 'signing' at that time. Once iOS 7 is public, no more downgrade.

So yes....right now your phone can be stolen and used

Quote Originally Posted by k1dr0ck View Post
    problem is if you wipe your phone it needs the icloud password to activate it which is most likely you'll do when selling it

a keyfile requirement instead of a password would have been great
    Curious why you say this. If I were to sell a phone on ios 7+, I would disable FMI (taking my ownership off the phone) then restore my phone. At that point, I'm not worried about activating it. That's the buyers responsibility, right?
    Last edited by thazsar; 06-12-2013 at 05:12 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

So maybe its as simple as disabling FMI when you're buying/selling an iDevice!
    That would be correct.

DFU mode works as usual, it will bypass everything else and allow the restore it seems like. When I placed my device in DFU, iTunes noticed and prompted to download 6.1.4 software to restore and began to download it with no problem. The good, people outside of the jailbreak scene have no clue of DFU mode. The bad, you lose your phone and someone from the jailbreak scene gets it, then your device now belongs to them.
    -= Formally known as SiLeNtKiLLa =-

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iBanks View Post
    That would be correct.

DFU mode works as usual, it will bypass everything else and allow the restore it seems like. When I placed my device in DFU, iTunes noticed and prompted to download 6.1.4 software to restore and began to download it with no problem. The good, people outside of the jailbreak scene have no clue of DFU mode. The bad, you lose your phone and someone from the jailbreak scene gets it, then your device now belongs to them.
    I'm just curious if Apple has done something deeper than this example. Is it a completely separate location that's been created in which DFU can't touch. I guess we'll have to wait to see what the Devs discover

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm just curious if Apple has done something deeper than this example. Is it a completely separate location that's been created in which DFU can't touch. I guess we'll have to wait to see what the Devs discover
    I'm tempted to do an complete DFU restore on my device to test it, may see about it later. I wonder if a later version of iTunes will detect DFU mode and not preform the restore without individual typing in Apple ID credentials first.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well I am guessing the right now theft are stealing more iPhone before iOS 7 release to public

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Where is this meeting place? I would like to show up there in person and tell them how to get around this Activation Lock in 4 words or less!

Thanks

I'm tempted to do an complete DFU restore on my device to test it, may see about it later. I wonder if a later version of iTunes will detect DFU mode and not preform the restore without individual typing in Apple ID credentials first.
    Please do!!! I asked p0sixninja but haven't gotten a response. Since you're already on iOS 7, it'd be interesting to see if you can bypass the security!

Thanks

They have done something this time it did asked me for my id and Password . Itunes - 11.0.4

Green Apple
    Thanks

They have done something this time it did asked me for my id and Password . Itunes - 11.0.4
    Prior to setup or after? In other words, did it ask for the credentials even after selecting setup as new phone or restore from iCloud backup? If it did ask after selecting setup as new phone, did it show to skip the screen when adding apple ID info or was it required in order to setup as new phone?

I think we are all looking in to deep of this. The way I see it is this... if and only if the device is reported lost through FMI, then and only then will the device require the users apple ID and password to recover it even after its been wiped. Someone mentioned that maybe the data is stored elsewhere after the device is wiped to possibly bypass the DFU mode recovery, which could be the case. But as far as us being able to sell our devices to others risks no problems, the device performs as normal as it did prior to iOS7 and its normal restore processes. I believe the key to this is the fact if its reported lost, then these securities fall in place.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

"Ironic how there's an anti theft thing on the iphone but IOS 7 has stolen everything from android and other platform including the quick access to settings, the notification bar, the theme, the multitasking, the tabs in safari, the list is too long for me to mention it all. Apple is the biggest thief and copy so much from android. They should be ashamed of themselves"

Lol stolen from android???
    And who did android copy?
    Oh that's right, iPhone jailbreak community! Haha.
    If it wasn't for the jailbreak community I'd love to see where android or apple would be with "their" ideas.
    I'd love to hear a bit more credit where credit is due. But that will never happen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rustem12 View Post
    "Ironic how there's an anti theft thing on the iphone but IOS 7 has stolen everything from android and other platform including the quick access to settings, the notification bar, the theme, the multitasking, the tabs in safari, the list is too long for me to mention it all. Apple is the biggest thief and copy so much from android. They should be ashamed of themselves"

Lol stolen from android???
    And who did android copy?
    Oh that's right, iPhone jailbreak community! Haha.
    If it wasn't for the jailbreak community I'd love to see where android or apple would be with "their" ideas.
    I'd love to hear a bit more credit where credit is due. But that will never happen.
    I know, right! If it werent for the iPhone, Samsung would still be making slider/flip phones. If it weren't for jailbreaking, Apple would've never known the possibilities its little device could achieve!!!

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12