+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS 7 Initial Usage Thoughts from the ModMyi Staff

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
iOS 7 was announced yesterday and Apple came out with a slew of new features and a complete redesign of iOS which many of us thought was well overdue. After
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,864 Times in 2,205 Posts

Default iOS 7 Initial Usage Thoughts from the ModMyi Staff
    iOS 7 was announced yesterday and Apple came out with a slew of new features and a complete redesign of iOS which many of us thought was well overdue. After the keynote, Apple released iOS 7 beta to registered iPhone developers. After hours of fighting with Apple servers, a handful of the ModMyi staff got our hands on iOS 7 and installed it.

Here are some of our thoughts and ideas on iOS 7!

So lets kick this off. What iDevice did you install the iOS 7 beta on?

Kyle - I installed it on my primary iPhone 5, the device I use every day.

Simon - I installed on my iPod touch 5G and iPhone 4S - both secondary devices, have to keep my jailbreak!

ToothFairy - iPhone 4S, which is my primary device at this time.

Cer0 - I have it on my iPhone 5, which is my primary device.

Cowboy - My iPhone 5 which is my primary device.

What are your initial thoughts of iOS 7? Does is feel like a new iDevice to you?

Kyle - Initial thoughts - hate the icons, love the UI. The premise of the whole flat-design concept is "let the content speak." The UI does a great job of removing clutter and putting all attention on your content. However - on the homepage, the icons ARE the content. I miss a little depth and polish. It doesn't feel like a new device - it feels like a minimal theme.

Simon - Very different. Love the new UI and transition animations. The home screen feels a little "bubbly" but that's nothing a jailbreak can't take care of

ToothFairy - No it doesn't feel like a new iDevice at all....

Cer0 - Little slow and laggy, should get better through the betas.

Cowboy - Initial thoughts: cool new features, but I hate most of the design. They change the look and feel an awful lot so it feels quite a bit different.

What do you think of Apple's new design? Did Apple help or hurt iOS?

Kyle - Like I said love the UI, but hate the icons. The color scheme seems straight out of an American Apparel catalog.

Simon - Definitely helped. It was time for a change and for the most part looks to be a good one.

ToothFairy - Its a little cheesy, I felt the other design was very tastefully done! That is what helped make the first iPhone - the beautiful design. However, all good things must come to an end and I am ready for a fresh new look. Change is good and I like to move with technology. After using it for a short time I like most of the things in the new design.

Cer0 - I feel the design is going to hurt Apple. Not a fan thus far.

Cowboy - Once again, I hate the design. I feel like my 4 year old can make these icons. People are calling it "modern" - I disagree. I don't know yet if its going to help or hurt Apple. Everyone I show it to so far loves it. I think the new features outweigh the design.

Apple added a lot of new features such as "Control Center", "Air Drop", and "Camera Filters". What is your favorite new feature or features added to iOS 7?

Kyle - I love SBSetttings, sorry, Auxo, sorry, Control Center. Of course, I've loved it for years.

Simon - Control Center by far. Been waiting a long time for apple to implement this.

ToothFairy - Control Center is great. Love all of the options within it. One flick of my finger and there it is! Very convient!

Cer0 - Loving the Control Center and the new typography.

Cowboy - Big fan of the new Multitasking and Control Center. Also liking the built in camera filters.

Did you feel that the new features help boost iOS 5 years ahead of any other mobile operating system again?

Kyle - No. 5 years? That's a lot. Jailbreakers have had the majority of this (even flat design themes!) for years.

Simon - No. If anything some of the features are just catching up to others. They all do pretty much the same stuff do it always just comes down to personal preference.

ToothFairy - No - however, I have never used any other mobile operating system. Let's compare to some of the other OS features already existing:

1. Swipe from left for various items? Blackberry 10 has that.
    2. The notifications center has been around for quite some time on Android, jailbroken iPhones, and now Blackberry with the hub.
    3. Blackberry has been developing car integrations for years already.
    4. Multitasking tabs already exist on Android and Blackberry.

Cer0 - Not sure if it boosts it ahead any. They had a lot of catching up to do.

Cowboy - 5 years not so much, there is still a lot of stuff missing that could be added and still could be added with new hardware like NFC. I think iOS 7 gets them back in the game though.

Siri got a pretty big update, how do you feel about the new Siri or better yet male Siri?

Kyle - I never use Siri practically, so I couldn't really speak to it. (What is he saying is Siri doesnt seem to understand pimp!)

Simon - New features look pretty good. I don't use Siri much but may start with these added controls. Think ill stick with the female voice too lol.

ToothFairy - I pretty much feel its about the same. However I think the male voice will be a nice option for us ladies!

Cer0 - I don't use Siri so I don't care...

Cowboy - Not a huge Siri user, but I am happy now I have the ability to launch more apps.

What are you missing from the older iOS versions that Apple took away or implemented differently in this new version?

Kyle - The icons. An easier way to view calendar events at a higher level (month, click a date to quick view it while still on month view, or the list view). Removing the top bar in Safari.

Simon - Directly from Apple, nothing. Not missing anything. Not having the jailbreak sucks, which is why my i5 is staying on 6.1.2.

ToothFairy - 1) Swipe to right. 2) The design in iMessages, phone, clock settings, notes. 3) The little lightening bolt through the battery when charging. 4) When deleting a picture you tapped the trash can and it would delete.

Cer0 - Not missing much yet. Maybe with more time I will find something.

Cowboy - Missing the icons, missing the old messaging app, and also swiping right to delete.

How do you feel about the learning curve?

Kyle - I think the flat design makes a lot of sense, but older generations may be confused a bit without the real-world similarities the previous designs had.

Simon - iOS has always been pretty easy to pick up and go. I don't see it being any different with this facelift.

ToothFairy - I can't pick on IOS 7 because I think that many younger users or older users have to learn and understand what they are doing on it and what it does.... I feel the more experienced people aren't going to need help but yes the less experienced people will still need help.

Cer0 - Probably about the same as older iOS versions.

Cowboy - I think that less tech savvy people are going to have a bit of struggle. With out the real world texture it will be hard to identify apps. Everything is more uniform, which is somewhat nice - but on the other hand apps and UI buttons don't pop out like they used to. It makes it hard to figure out what some things are.

What are the Pros and Cons of iOS 7?

Kyle - Pros: Really shines in typography. The way of sorting photographs via "moments" is brilliant.
    Cons: Gestures could be tough - the side scroll is used in a lot of apps, not allowing that may get odd for people who've built that into their apps as integral parts. Those icons are horrible.

Simon - Pros: looks beautiful and has some really useful additions.
    Cons: no jailbreak (yet), icons a little bubbly.

ToothFairy - Pros: I like being able to get at the control center from the lock screen
    I love the real clock
    Photos is great it now has everything one needs so now I can get rid of a few apps!
    I like seeing how far the battery is charged in the slide to unlock screen
    I like being able to see my wallpaper in the slide to unlock screen. Hated those dark areas on the top and bottom.
    Love the dynamtic wallpapers
    Thought I would hate the icons however its a real clean crisp look
    iRadio sorry Pandora
    Like that you can turn automatic updates off
    The unlimited tabs in Safari
    3D that tracks your phone movements
    Folders swipe to left for more storage

Cons: I hate automatic update I now have a lot of icons waiting and lines in my folders
    I hate when your calling waiting for a answer the colors they used
    I hate when pictures ask you if you want to delete one
    No contrast within some of the apps
    Using a lighter wallpaper on the home screen
    Frustrated with the colors used in the phone app... black & red? White and blue or red writing would have been my choice
    iPhone 4s can not use filters within the camera app
    iPhone 4s can not use Airdrop
    Switcher or multitask which you could have the option to swish all instead of one at a time
    That they didn't go back to double tap when zooming in when taking pictures

Cer0 - Pros: Shared photo stream with groups that allow everyone is the group to post!
    Fluid wallpapers
    Cons: Photo app seems cluttered
    Not liking the new multitasking

Cowboy - Pro: New Features
    Cons: Design design design!

Was it worth losing your jailbreak? Are you still hoping for a quick jailbreak iOS 7 jailbreak when it drops publicly in the fall?

Kyle - Definitely would love to jailbreak this. Themes are going to be huge for iOS 7 - especially icons. Or bringing back a non-flat design. There's also a ton of mods which would be nice - smaller icons with Shrink, MyWi, different ways of allowing the folders to have more icons through Infinifolders, adjusting toggles in Control Center, etc. There are a ton of tweaks which constantly allow customizers to fine tune and hone their device to their personal preferences. That's what the whole idea of jailbreak is - take something you love, tweak it until it's your own.

Simon - Not worth losing my jailbreak. Keeping my iPhone 5 jailbroken for as long as possible.

ToothFairy - My phone was not jailbroken however I read many comments that some say it will be worth it and some still want to hold onto their jailbroken phone.

Cer0 - Eh, I like have the latest and greatest but I really miss Auxo and Clean Status.

Cowboy - I miss my themes but I love it and think it was worth the jump to iOS 7. When it publicly releases I am sure the Devs will get a jailbreak to us ASAP. iOS 7 is great but with a jailbreak it can only get better. I mean without jailbreaking who is Apple going to steal from. Google?

To wrap it up, I (Cowboy) would like to thank the staff that helped me put this article together and I hope you guys share your thoughts!
    Last edited by blkcadi; 06-12-2013 at 11:44 AM. Reason: spelling
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

gonna miss:
    1. TetherMe
    2. WinterBoard
    3. Cyntact???????
    4. MapsOpener - only if Apple Maps is still not worth a darn in iOS 7
    5. SnowCover 4 - maybe. We shall see.
    6. Poof
    7. PandoraDownloader
    8. PasswordPilot
    9. SliderKiller
    10. Unrestrictor3G

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I wish they would've implemented something like BiteSMS.

Thanks

I just don't see why they would make such a drastic change. I mean, if iOS is supposed to go so hand in hand with Mac OS why completely overhaul one and not the other? Their old design that looked like Mac OS made a ton more sense. Should of kept the old design with maybe some minor visual tweaks but with all the newly added features. I believe Steve Jobs would never of approved this.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

lots of cool information!
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 06-12-2013 at 10:36 AM.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

Folders is pretty neat now..... Wanted to see how many apps I could put in one... I put 50 apps in one folder and I could have kept going!

"Always remember your special and unique!"

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

I've been using iOS 7 for about a day now.

My initial thoughts on iOS 7 have mixed feelings. I like the new interfaces, I like the new animations, and I like the new features. Control Center is absolutely useful, Notification Center's improvements make it much more usable, and the dynamic wallpapers are just awesome.

As Kyle said, the icons need a lot of work. This is especially so with all of the third-party application icons that tried to follow Apple's "glossy" look and just look dumb now with all of the flat application icons. Now it's only a beta, so of course third party developers have had no time yet to update their icons, but it still bothers me personally. I'm sure many developers won't update their icons to look better for a long time to come too.

The new Weather application is ingenious; Apple has finally started offering more than just the basic information about the weather around you. The new compass application is a little more difficult to calibrate, but the new level feature is pretty awesome. The new Safari is a little difficult to get used to. The new Camera application is actually pretty nice, but I do miss the old one. The new Stocks application looks so much better with its black interface. The flatter Calculator interface will take some getting used to, but it still works as expected. The Notes application seems a lot more difficult to distinguish lines of text now without the notepad lines. The new Maps application looks and feels great.

Just a synopsis of some of the applications I've used a lot so far. I haven't had much of a chance to dig into every feature yet. I will say this though: going from iOS 6 to iOS 7 is a huge change and it will take a long time to get used to. It's a very different immersive experience.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

joshlogic (06-12-2013)

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

As far as the design goes there is a big change... I agree with a Facebook friend.. I feel that the new UI of iOS7 looks like a mock up rather than a finished UI. The colors chosen in the phone app really gets to me.
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 06-12-2013 at 12:31 PM.

"Always remember your special and unique!"

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm still not sure how I feel about the huge notification banners, I do like how you can dismiss them,open them in lock screen, or click them to open that app.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Overall, I'm liking iOS 7. It takes a bit of getting used to, but most of the features I wanted have been implemented with the exception of a quick reply/compose feature for messaging.

Thanks

Just put OS X on it. That is all for now Apple but i'll be back :]

iPhone Warranty Voider Faresismail's Avatar
    Thanks

Im i the only one who is having a hard time using the mmi app coz of bugs? ( also twitter and whatsapp )

Thanks
    Thanked 14,750 Times in 6,860 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Faresismail View Post
    Im i the only one who is having a hard time using the mmi app coz of bugs? ( also twitter and whatsapp )
    Using it on ios7 you mean?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    my phone has done something interesting. Been running iOS7 for a day now, and the "other" section in storage has filled up with 11Gb of stuff. i didn't restore a backup, i set up as a completely new phone. loaded my apps and signed into iCloud. It's now stuffed. don't know what is filling it up... any ideas?

iPhone Warranty Voider Faresismail's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Using it on ios7 you mean?
    Yea sorry forgot to add that part

Thanks
    Thanked 14,750 Times in 6,860 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Faresismail View Post
    Yea sorry forgot to add that part
    Ya, app not faring too well on iOS7. Pretty buggy and does not like portrait mode, keeps cutting half the screen off. Will definitely need an update once iOS7 is officialy released.

Green Apple
    Thanks

i will update to ios 7 on my iphone 4, because I can downgrade to ios 5.1.1
    but I do not think I will keep it, only test it, until it is jailbroken and I can put a theme to fix that girly look of the UI.
    I like the old UI better

Thanks

I installed it on my i5, I like it. I lost my jailbreak for it, and I don't mind that, I used the iOS 7 Flat theme anyway. I especially like the new Task Switcher, control center and the camera filters. I don't really like the dialer, I miss the large backspace button. The learning curve isn't bad at all, still pretty easy and intuitive. I like the fact that all I have to do is swipe up somewhere on the screen to get to spotlight search. I wish air drop would work on the 4S though so my wife could take advantage of it. Best thing is, I was able to install it without having a Dev account...sweet!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
    gonna miss:
    1. TetherMe
    2. WinterBoard
    3. Cyntact???????
    4. MapsOpener - only if Apple Maps is still not worth a darn in iOS 7
    5. SnowCover 4 - maybe. We shall see.
    6. Poof
    7. PandoraDownloader
    8. PasswordPilot
    9. SliderKiller
    10. Unrestrictor3G
    cyntact is no longer needed. favorites now have pictures next to them

iPhone? More like MyPhone Ryaninfg's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm very surprised that on a touch phone, activator has not been implemented!!!