+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'Push for Gmail' Enables Push Notifications for New Gmail Users in Apple's Mail App

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,038 Times in 760 Posts

Default 'Push for Gmail' Enables Push Notifications for New Gmail Users in Apple's Mail App

Many people use Gmail, and many people use Gmail on their iOS devices through the stock Mail application. Unfortunately as of January 30, 2013, Google no longer supports push notifications for new devices that set up Gmail accounts. Instead, Google offers a Gmail application in the App Store for free that offers push notifications instead.

If you want to add push notifications to your Mail application for your Gmail account again rather than having to use another e-mail client to handle your Gmail inbox, you can now use a new jailbreak tweak called Push for Gmail by iOS developer Noppers Software.

The tweak uses the Gmail application from Google to utilize push notifications in the Mail application. To use the tweak, make sure you download the Gmail application from the App Store and set up your Gmail account. Next, you will need to set up the same Gmail account in the Mail application from Apple. Once that’s done, set your Gmail account via the Mail application to “Fetch” instead of push and set the schedule to “manually.” Finally, respring your iOS device and you should now start receiving push notifications for Gmail through Apple's Mail application.

Unfortunately since the tweak utilizes the Gmail application to supply you with push notifications for the Mail application, you won’t be able to delete the Gmail application after configuring both of your e-mail clients. On the other hand, you can use another tweak like Springtomize 2 to hide the Gmail application icon from the home screen, or you can just add it to a folder. If you delete the Gmail application, you will no longer receive push notifications for your Gmail inbox in Apple's Mail application.

Because the tweak adds push notifications back to the Mail application for Gmail accounts, you will be able to have all of your inboxes in your Mail application so they’re all easily accessible from the same place without having to open and close more than one e-mail client application. So it really makes things a lot more convenient for the user in the long run.

If you want to give the tweak a try, you can find Push for Gmail in Cydia's ModMyi repository for just 99¢.

Name: Push for Gmail
    Price: 99¢
    Version: 1.1
    Requirements: iOS 6.1
    Repo: ModMyi
    Developer: Noppers Software
    Editor's Rating:  4/5

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

To bad i dont have 6.1

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
    To bad i dont have 6.1
    Use iFile and temporarily change your OS version. I did it on my iPad to get the hangouts app since it requires 6.1 and I have 6.0.1. Once it's installed it will work and update just fine.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Just configure Gmail through the Microsoft Exchange and not through Gmail accounts and push notifications would work fine.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by izeta View Post
    Just configure Gmail through the Microsoft Exchange and not through Gmail accounts and push notifications would work fine.
    That doesn't work anymore, I did that on my iPad last year and it worked great and still does, but if you try to do it on a new device it won't work. Gmail only supports push on devices that had push setup before Jan. 30 2013 any device that wasn't setup before then won't be able to connect to gmail using Exchange.