Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Senator John McCain Praises New Auto-Updating Apps Feature in iOS 7

Thanks

Default Senator John McCain Praises New Auto-Updating Apps Feature in iOS 7

Previously in May, Senator John McCain (R-Ariz.) asked Apple CEO Tim Cook after a discussion on Apple’s tax practices why he constantly finds himself needing to update the apps on his iPhone. He specifically asked the following in a lighthearted moment:

What I really wanted to ask is why the hell do I have to keep updating apps on my iPhone all the time?
    When asked this, Cook smiled politely and responded by saying the following:

We're trying to make things better all the time.
    Fast Forward to the WWDC keynote and what was part of the announcements when it came to iOS 7? Auto-updating apps. Taking it to Twitter, the Senator has congratulated Apple on a job well done by tweeting the message:

Thanks to Tim Cook for the automatic iphone app updates! #apple #wwdc
    Although we don’t know how he feels about the rest of it, we do know that Apple can add to the scorecard of people won over by the new features.

Has there been a specific feature that has you looking forward to iOS 7?

Source: Twitter

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

As long as there is a feature to control what apps auto update and which ones don't..im all in! Im excited about iOS 7..can't wait!

With the Android its good when they auto-update but sometimes they dont and you have to manually update them. They also have the choice to auto-update or not. Thats how it should be with Apple.
    They should have a look at Google Play and see how its done then copy it like they did with most of the features of IOS 4/5/6

Its nice. I got the Cydia app Auto Update and its great. Thats what they should do and have somewhere where to see what was updated and when.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to b1997469 For This Useful Post:

Jokadaking (06-11-2013)

If I can turn it off fine.
    How many times do I saw notes at app updates starting after a while with
    !!! DO NOT UPDATE, you will loose ... !!!
    And then you have to wait weeks for the new update, which eliminate bugs... (dev fix it, sends to apple, apple approves...)

Or there is even no further update which fix something, like the AC3 legal issue for several media player apps lately...

a quick reply,compose eature for mail and message wld have keptme away from jailbreak.
    ios 7 looks toooo good to b true in stock. thanks Apple

a quick reply, compose for mail and message wld have kept me away from jailbreak.
    great ios experience ahead. thanks apple

If they don't DON'T have an OFF SWITCH they are going to loose all kinds of people. I only have an iPhone because of the J.B. Community. I remember when there was no Cydia store and you could actually look at everything,(not even possible now ;-)
    So unless Apple wants to loose thousands maybe millions world wide they better have an off switch.

I just got it installed. You can turn off the auto updates, but there's no per-app options.

Quote Originally Posted by WiiWendy View Post
    If they don't DON'T have an OFF SWITCH they are going to loose all kinds of people. I only have an iPhone because of the J.B. Community. I remember when there was no Cydia store and you could actually look at everything,(not even possible now ;-)
    So unless Apple wants to loose thousands maybe millions world wide they better have an off switch.
    Shoutout to Customize, Installer, and Summerboard

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WiiWendy View Post
    I'm sure Apple won't mind losing 3% of us jail breakers.

Quote Originally Posted by The Analyst View Post
    a quick reply,compose eature for mail and message wld have keptme away from jailbreak.
    Since quick reply is on Mavericks, I hope it's included in iOS 7 and they just didn't talk about it at the keynote. Maybe because Anki took 2 extra minutes for their demo.

Quote Originally Posted by The Analyst View Post

a quick reply, compose for mail and message wld have kept me away from jailbreak.
    great ios experience ahead. thanks apple
    Huh?

I have iOS 7 beta 1 and I love every feature

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carnage122896 View Post
    I have iOS 7 beta 1 and I love every feature
    Does it have quick reply?

Nope.. Switching back and forth is pretty fast though. It's only beta 1 they could add it though. They better add more stuff. I gave up my jailbreak for this beta. So far worth it

Can I see a dated history of updates and what has changed or only the latest?

I can't remember the last time I happened upon such a non story.

I don't understand why people don't like it. If its a good app and it updates to a buggy one then just deal with it I guess. Not being harsh at all but that's the pain of it. Is it such a bad thing that if an app screws up because it updated it for you automatically that you can't use the app so you'll leave?

Livin the iPhone Life SpidermanAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    I don't understand why people don't like it. If its a good app and it updates to a buggy one then just deal with it I guess. Not being harsh at all but that's the pain of it. Is it such a bad thing that if an app screws up because it updated it for you automatically that you can't use the app so you'll leave?
    I'm not quite sure what you're saying, but there are many reasons why someone may not want to update an app. Perhaps it has a new UI that they hate. Maybe it's buggy/incompatible on their device. I had one instance where I had a game (Galaxy on Fire 2) that removed OpenFeint, but my save file was stored in OpenFeint and I had to switch my save file to iCloud before updating.

This will be an amazing feature if it works like Android in the sense that you choose which apps auto-update, but it doesn't force you to.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to SpidermanAPV For This Useful Post:

Silverado1987 (06-11-2013)