+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Added Tons of New Features in iOS 7, But Will They Work On Your iOS Device?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Added Tons of New Features in iOS 7, But Will They Work On Your iOS Device?

Apple Monday afternoon unveiled iOS 7 and all of its great new interfaces and features at the WWDC 2013 keynote. Everything looks sharp, and the new features will be enjoyed by many… but not all.

Currently the iPhone 5 is the latest iPhone Apple has to offer, so Apple would need to make sure all of the new features ran on that device for sure. The iPhone 4 is the oldest iPhone that Apple will support iOS 7 on, and as history repeats itself, the iPhone 4 will not be able to take advantage of all of iOS 7's new features – the iPhone 4S included. This is believed to be a marketing technique to get people to buy the latest devices more so than hardware limitations.

Apple has phased out the older iPhone 3GS along with the iPod touch 4G in the supported devices list that we showed you earlier.

Taking a look at the asterisks at the bottom of Apple’s iOS 7 Features Web page, it would appear that not all of iOS 7's great new features will work with every iOS device. The list of features that are limited to newer devices only include the following:

• Shooting panorama photographs will only be supported on the iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, and iPod touch 5G
    • Adding filters to photographs right from the Camera application will only be supported on the iPhone 5 and iPod touch 5G (you can add filters to photographs from the Photos application on any iOS 7 device)
    • AirDrop will only be supported by the iPhone 5, iPod touch 5G, iPad Mini, and iPad (4th generation)
    • Siri with HD voice can only be used on the iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch 5G, iPad Mini, and iPad with retina display

While not very extensive, the list of limited features may be an inconvenience to some with older devices. It’s not new that Siri supports the iPhone 4S and later devices and that panorama mode only supports the iPhone 4S and later devices, but the updated list goes to show that Apple has no intention of adding support for older devices in its new firmware. It's also a shame to see that the new filters feature is limited to the Photos application only on non-iPhone 5 and iPod touch 5G devices and that AirDrop is limited to newer devices only.

iOS 7 will be released to the public in the Fall of this year; however, developers can download a beta version of the firmware that can be used to ready applications for the firmware when it launches.

Sources: Apple

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

zplit (06-10-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

It's still not enough of an inconvenience to me to upgrade my iPhone 4 to the 5 when we all know the 5S will be out in October. Just have to suffer through a few more months.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Shame that Airdrop is only for iPhone 5 ... At least it should be for iphone 4 and up..

I mean Airdrop support or wifi of bluetooth.. if for example the bluetooth on the 4 is to slow..just put it that it will be on Wifi only atleast.. iPhone 4 has wifi N but they said not the awesome wifi-n .. at least thats faster than Bluetooth...
    Or have said that use it at won risk but it will be slow on iphone 4.. but to let it out of the game is a stupid move ! IMO

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 612 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eyepoper View Post
    Shame that Airdrop is only for iPhone 5 ... At least it should be for iphone 4 and up..

I mean Airdrop support or wifi of bluetooth.. if for example the bluetooth on the 4 is to slow..just put it that it will be on Wifi only atleast.. iPhone 4 has wifi N but they said not the awesome wifi-n .. at least thats faster than Bluetooth...
    Or have said that use it at won risk but it will be slow on iphone 4.. but to let it out of the game is a stupid move ! IMO
    thats how they force you to upgrade, I'm on a 4s upgraded from the 3Gs so hopefully I can get the 5s and keep the s bug I have going
    privacy isn't about having something to hide

look here all grammar police, indulge me.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dsg For This Useful Post:

Jato_BZ (06-10-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone The Guz's Avatar
    Thanks

I've been eligible for an upgrade for sometime. But I can't justify upgrading to the 5 or 5s when the hardware is still about the same other than the larger screen and of course the upgraded internals. I'll wait a little longer to see what the 6 will look like unless apple does something to wow me on the looks of the next phone.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to The Guz For This Useful Post:

twitchthecat (06-11-2013)

Thanks

Airdrop is what has me vexed. I've had my 4s for just under a year, and it already feels obsolete. One of the reasons I came to iOS from android was the (perceived) longevity of the devices and software update compatibility. Oh well, software aside.... I can't go back to android, I do love the whole iOS ecosystem.
    Noobus Majorus thanks are welcome <---

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dwizurd For This Useful Post:

Rcworship (06-11-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm sure if and when jailbreak is out, there will be tweaks to have all features work on iPhone 4 and up. I have a 5 now and am eligible to upgrade in October.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

All this cr4p of not supporting older devices is why I migrated to Android. I have the latest and greatest there, but also some older phone running an older OS, and most apps work with it (maybe not the latest version of the app, but the older versions remain available in the play store, vs. apple that made most of the apps available in only the newest, making my ipad2 running ios5 incompatible with lots of things it should be able to still run). I am soooo glad I left the horrible walled garden.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cpotoso For This Useful Post:

gameguy95 (06-13-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

One thing they didn't mention on their site is the fact parallax wallpapers don't work on the iPhone 4

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

Wonder what the upcoming iPhone is gonna look like?

iPhone? More like MyPhone DayumQuitPlayin's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpotoso View Post
    All this cr4p of not supporting older devices is why I migrated to Android. I have the latest and greatest there, but also some older phone running an older OS, and most apps work with it (maybe not the latest version of the app, but the older versions remain available in the play store, vs. apple that made most of the apps available in only the newest, making my ipad2 running ios5 incompatible with lots of things it should be able to still run). I am soooo glad I left the horrible walled garden.
    Uhh.. Android is notorious for not supporting older devices. Look at the fragmentation. Phone manufacturers abandoning last year's model for the latest. Apple still supports older devices. Not all features work (smoothly) as they want so they don't add it to every device. If they did, then ppl like you would complain about the lag and bugs.
    The ONLY thing you said correctly was that the App Store only keep available the latest version of apps. Aside from that, you're wrong.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ugly, ugly icons..! Someone needs to create a theme in cydia capturing the existing ios look. Ill pay $$$ to get it!

Banned
    Thanks

AirDrop will only be supported by the iPhone 5, iPod touch 5G, iPad Mini, and iPad (4th generation)
    So AirDrop wont work on 3rd gen iPad? WTF?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to b1997469 For This Useful Post:

vinaygoel2000 (06-11-2013)

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by b1997469 View Post
    So AirDrop wont work on 3rd gen iPad? WTF?
    That is correct.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Apple's failure to implement some features is why jailbreak exists and another opening for jailbreak devs.
    Many new features have been available in one way or another with jail broken devices for some time anyway.
    Last edited by sfrawley; 06-11-2013 at 12:07 AM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to sfrawley For This Useful Post:

gameguy95 (06-13-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

There's actually a technical reason for AirDrop not working on pre iPhone 5 or iPad 4 devices. AirDrop uses a feature called WiFi direct - so users don't have to be on the same WiFi network (or even connected to wi-fi for the matter). When utilizing AirDrop, and your connected to a different wifi network than the other user, the wifi card actually rapidly switches b/w normal wifi mode and wifi direct mode. The wifi cards used prior to the iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPad Mini, and iPod Touch 5 did not/do not support wifi direct. But what about Bluetooth you say? Well same thing really, the above mentioned devices all use Bluetooth cards that support Bluetooth 4.0 (previous devices did not), one of the big features of Bluetooth 4.0 is the ability to connect to a device without having to pair it first - which I imagine (though this hasn't been confirmed yet) is utilized by AirDrop since it requires no configuration or pairing.

Some of the other features are also rather processor intensive, such as the HD Siri voices and live photo effects, thus requiring an A5 or A6 processor.

And finally, the panorama option is currently available on the iPhone 4 as it is, pretty unlikely that a feature that was currently unavailable would suddenly become available. I imagine this is also due to technical limitations with the camera module in the iPhone 4, as in it's shutter speed isn't fast enough to create the panoramas (at least the way Apple creates the panoramas - instead of stitching together multiple photos, it continuously creates one big photo by rapidly taking pictures as you rotate the phone). Play around with an iPhone 4 and try and shoot a bunch of pictures in successions, and then try the same thing on the iPhone 4S/iPhone 5 - you'll notice a massive difference.

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 612 Posts

^the 4s has BlueTooth 4.0, the specs of the 4s, so does the iPad 3
    Last edited by dsg; 06-11-2013 at 04:14 AM.
    privacy isn't about having something to hide

look here all grammar police, indulge me.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I hate the crap is some normal features not being on old devices. Why the hell can't the 4 do a panorama with apples tool? I can download apps that do it, but it's not as convenient or as good as the in photo app option. I know it's to sell more phones but come on.

Thanks

Hi all. I just installed iOS7. When I turn Airdrop on, the Bluetooth gets turned on. So, it's with Bluetooth no wifi.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by noraa View Post
    There's actually a technical reason for AirDrop not working on pre iPhone 5 or iPad 4 devices. AirDrop uses a feature called WiFi direct - so users don't have to be on the same WiFi network (or even connected to wi-fi for the matter). When utilizing AirDrop, and your connected to a different wifi network than the other user, the wifi card actually rapidly switches b/w normal wifi mode and wifi direct mode. The wifi cards used prior to the iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPad Mini, and iPod Touch 5 did not/do not support wifi direct.
    Exactly. Cook specifically stated that previous hardware didn't support AirDrop. Of course that never states the same people who scream "Apple is doing this solely to make people buy more stuff."