Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AnandTech: Carriers Aren't Throttling iPad and iPhone Data Speeds

Thanks

Default AnandTech: Carriers Aren't Throttling iPad and iPhone Data Speeds

After the recent claim that three out of four major carriers in the U.S. throttle iPhone and iPad data speeds the folks over at AnandTech decided to further investigate the issue. They ended up determining that the original assertion, which has been deleted, is untrue. AnandTech mentioned the following regarding the matter:

Apple doesn't limit cellular data throughput on its devices ó there's both no incentive for them to do so, and any traffic management is better off done in the packet core of the respective network operator rather than on devices. Sideloading tweaked carrier bundles isn't going to magically increase throughput, either.
    The folks at the site offered a thorough technical examination and debunking of the original claim. Neither Apple nor the accused carriers arbitrarily cap the User Equipment speed category or throttle device data speeds based on their findings. They continued by pointing out that the AT&T file that was used as evidence that the iPhone 5 was being capped at HSDPA Category 10 (14.4 Mbps) was actually only applicable to the iPhone 4S, which, unlike the iPhone 5 (Category 14), is only capable of a Category 10 downlink. The report went on to refute several additional claims that were made as well. The report ultimately ends with another reiteration that Apple isnít in any way, limiting its devices. The following was mentioned regarding the matter:

Again, there's no reason for Apple to want to arbitrarily limit their devices, and the reality is that they don't, at all, on any version of iPad or iPhone or in any of the carrier bundles they've distributed for network operators. If anything, Apple has long been one of the few handset vendors who initially understood the importance of limiting annoying operator customizations. The Carrier Bundles are quite literally the only place in the entire OS they have indirect access (through Apple) to toggles they can play with.
    Those of you who want to read the full explanation and learn about all the details that prove the claim to be untrue can hit the source link below.

Source: AnandTech

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

That's a load of horse crap if I ever heard it. It's funny when the start of my bill cycle everything loads "fast" on my 4s but the minute I get throttled I can't hardly get anything to load. I don't know how they are coming up with their claims that people aren't actually being throttled. They did a few tests.......I have real world month in month out experience with my speeds slowing down once I reach that magical number set by AT&T for us unlimited data users. Don't believe me......my brother in law has had it happen to him a time or two. So if people actually believe this then I have some ocean front property in Missouri I'd like to sell them.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

Sounds like AnandTech is sleeping with Apple... If Apple/Carriers aren't throttling, then why are the hacked carrier bundles consistently increasing user's speeds on the iPhone 5? There's screenshots proving it?

Quote Originally Posted by ernestdefoe View Post
    That's a load of horse crap if I ever heard it. It's funny when the start of my bill cycle everything loads "fast" on my 4s but the minute I get throttled I can't hardly get anything to load. I don't know how they are coming up with their claims that people aren't actually being throttled. They did a few tests.......I have real world month in month out experience with my speeds slowing down once I reach that magical number set by AT&T for us unlimited data users. Don't believe me......my brother in law has had it happen to him a time or two. So if people actually believe this then I have some ocean front property in Missouri I'd like to sell them.
    AnandTech was stating that Apple has nothing to do with the throttling of data, the carriers themselves do throttle data, they pretty much tell you this straight up. Pay attention....

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple has nothing to gain by throttling their own devices. IF some kind of code to throttle was actually happening on the phone it would be because the carrier wanted it, not Apple. But as this new report says that isn't the case. Of course carriers do throttle speeds after you've reached a certain amount of data...that we all know to be true!

Quote Originally Posted by ernestdefoe View Post
    Dude....calm down and chill out...they aren't talking about grandfathered Unlimited accounts. AT&T has OPENLY admitted throttling Unlimited customers past 3GB and 5GB (for 3G and 4G LTE respectively). This is about a supposed device-level limitation that would apply to ALL users ALL iPhones on ANY (even current) data plans.

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Does this mean the carrier hacks released over the last month are unneeded and may be harmful?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

Has anyone tried the hacked carrier bundles with any successful speed increase? I would try but I have a 4S.

Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
    Does this mean the carrier hacks released over the last month are unneeded and may be harmful?
    Thats what I was just wondering too. Which is why I wan't to know if anyone here has tried them and had any success with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleye View Post
    Has anyone tried the hacked carrier bundles with any successful speed increase? I would try but I have a 4S.

Thats what I was just wondering too. Which is why I wan't to know if anyone here has tried them and had any success with it.
    It worked for me, but its worthless to me... but hey, it works.
    ATT i5 6.1.2 | Before 13/6 after 13/17
    Not to mention, the hack also enable HD voiceovers...

at least i can say my iPhone's upload speed is faster than my home internet line lol.
    its really YMMV.

edit: speed test result comparison <-- also note, i do get .5 bars more too.
    Last edited by Albort; 06-07-2013 at 04:40 PM.

I'm completely confused. You go back and forth from saying carriers aren't throttling to quotes about Apple not throttling. I've never seen anything to suggest that Apple builds in hard ware limiting components.
    AT&T on the other hand, absolutely, 100% does throttle it's 'unlimited' customers when they go over a certain amount of usage. I even had them tell me so in a letter. They flat out admit that their 'unlimited' users will have slower speeds when they go over a pre-determined amount of data. Mine is 2GB a month which is a giant 'unlimited' load of ****.
    My Grooveshark gets to be about useless the last week of my billing cycle.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Did they get this information from the codes or they are just theorizing?
    Of course there is an incentive, people will go nuts for device without throttle.
    Hell release next iPhone with the same iOS with few changes to the looks and remove throttle, people will give props to Apple and they did absolutely no work... How awesome is that? Make everyone buy the same phone all over again!!

Some of you are very confused what this article is about. A few days ago, there was an article that suggested that Apple had some "code" that throttled the speed of the iDevices. Instead of getting 20, they throttled down to 14 (these are made up numbers as an example).

That's what this is about, not AT&T's actual throttling. gg.

iPhone? More like MyPhone RoloDiva13's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by staRang View Post
    Some of you are very confused what this article is about. A few days ago, there was an article that suggested that Apple had some "code" that throttled the speed of the iDevices. Instead of getting 20, they throttled down to 14 (these are made up numbers as an example).

That's what this is about, not AT&T's actual throttling. gg.
    Well, they (we) might be confused based on the title of this article. AnandTech's talking about Apple not doing the throttling so why does this article's title start with the word "Carriers"? I get what you're saying but I just wanted to point out that the article here is actually adding to the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by RoloDiva13 View Post
    Well, they (we) might be confused based on the title of this article. AnandTech's talking about Apple not doing the throttling so why does this article's title start with the word "Carriers"? I get what you're saying but I just wanted to point out that the article here is actually adding to the confusion.
    Exactly what I was going to say. This is a piss poor article. Someone needs to have an actual editor read their articles before they hit "publish".