Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Code Found to be Throttling iPhone and iPad Cellular Data Speeds

Thanks

Default Apple Code Found to be Throttling iPhone and iPad Cellular Data Speeds

A website which was dedicated to providing iPhone carrier hacks claims to have discovered code in versions of Apple’s iOS that suggests the nation’s top three carriers are purposely throttling iPhone and iPad data speeds for all customers. According to developer Joseph Brown, operator of iTweakiOS, there is specialized code that exists on iPhones and iPads operating on AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon which limits the devices’ network settings to effectively cap data bandwidth.

Brown has taken snapshots of the iOS code that is managing the three carriers’ network settings as applied to an iPhone 5, all of which appear to hamstring the handset’s cellular data capabilities. For example, an AT&T iPhone 5 was limited to HSDPA “Category 10,” which tops out at 14.4 Mbps. The second largest U.S. carrier’s network is capable of supporting up to HSDPA+ speeds that reaches 21.1 Mbps.

As far as Verizon goes, Brown found throttling code on the telecom’s versions of the iPhone and iPad relating to its 4G LTE network. Sprint doesn’t have limitations enabled for its high-speed data offerings. Apple devices running on the 3G networks owned by both Verizon and Sprint, however, are also affected by similar limitations. Since Apple is in complete control of the code running all of its devices, it can be posited that the company instituted the bandwidth caps at the behest of its partner carriers.

Brown mentioned the following:

[…] from previous statements released by AT&T and many tech orginizations [sic], iPhones are very complex devices with a very complex OS. The OS eats much more data, even when in idle mode, than most phones on the market. So by carrier request, Apple limits devices to 'even out' the network, even if it means Galaxy users outperform Apple devices by such large scales.
    During his testing, Brown didn’t find evidence of throttling on devices operating on T-Mobile’s network.

Have any of you felt like your speed has been throttled?

Source: iTweakiOS

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

I live in the uk and am on t-mobile I have a good 4 bar 3g signal at my house yet my speed varies between 15mbs and 500kbs. It isn't the signal for sure so it must be t-mobile slowing me down.

Quote Originally Posted by thefinalhack View Post
    I live in the uk and am on t-mobile I have a good 4 bar 3g signal at my house yet my speed varies between 15mbs and 500kbs. It isn't the signal for sure so it must be t-mobile slowing me down.
    Yes, because it couldn't possible have anything to do with how many other people around you are using the net at the same time? I bet you get the fast speed during evening/night and the slow speed during daytime?

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm not sure about this article. It says that AT&T tops out at 14.4 Mbps on iPhone when I constantly get about 26 Mbps on AT&T LTE on iPhone 5.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raptorjr View Post
    Yes, because it couldn't possible have anything to do with how many other people around you are using the net at the same time? I bet you get the fast speed during evening/night and the slow speed during daytime?
    Wow, SPIN IT..JUST SPIN IT!! I live in the Seattle area and have noticed HUGE variances in my data speed irrelevant of the time of day. I can tell you it is a serious problem! I pay REAL MONEY for my data stream and should get REAL PERFORMANCE irregardless of any other variables.

Hey, got a deal for ya!! I'll sell you a $250K Lamborghini and you might reach it's top speed as long as there are no other Lambroghini's on the road that day.

Sound kind of ridiculous huh?

Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    I'm not sure about this article. It says that AT&T tops out at 14.4 Mbps on iPhone when I constantly get about 26 Mbps on AT&T LTE on iPhone 5.
    I'm not sure if LTE is capped (yet).

And here I thought my iPhone just had poor antenna design or I was just holding it wrong. Though iPhones and Galaxy S's are rarely release in the same year with the same network hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    You got to reeeead!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Wow, SPIN IT..JUST SPIN IT!! I live in the Seattle area and have noticed HUGE variances in my data speed irrelevant of the time of day. I can tell you it is a serious problem! I pay REAL MONEY for my data stream and should get REAL PERFORMANCE irregardless of any other variables.
    For the record irregardless is not a word the correct term would be regardless..

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clkkid For This Useful Post:

andygev35 (06-06-2013), novadam (06-06-2013)

Any contract iPhone or any other phone will be caped

So when are the jailbreak dev's going to release a tweak in Cydia that will thwart the throttling code?

I'd be interested to see if it can be removed, and if speeds would actually improve, as I am on the Verizon unlimited data plan with my iPhone 5...

It sounds from the article like only Verizon is throttling 3G & LTE (as they have no "4G"), while the others are throttling 3G & non-LTE 4G. I would love to see something released in Cydia to test this out and see if my speeds would improve. I generally seem to get lower speeds than I see posted from others, but am in a relatively congested area with a ton of Verizon customers. I still get around 20/20 consistently, however, so it's still fast enough; but I would love to get the full force of what I pay so much for!

Lol isteveo. Nobody has 4g. They ALL have lte.

Helipilot, cars are usually limited by other cars on the road. You hadn't noticed? It's called traffic. Great analogy lol

Quote Originally Posted by clkkid View Post
    For the record irregardless is not a word the correct term would be regardless..
    Webster's dictionary says it is a word. Oxford English says it isn't.
    Choose your poison based on your side of the pond.

Quote Originally Posted by quidam_brujah View Post
    Webster's dictionary says it is a word. Oxford English says it isn't.
    Choose your poison based on your side of the pond.
    Like aluminium! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by HeliPilot View Post

Hey, got a deal for ya!! I'll sell you a $250K Lamborghini and you might reach it's top speed as long as there are no other Lambroghini's on the road that day.

Sound kind of ridiculous huh?
    I love how your analogy proves what you're trying to disprove! Have you thought about becoming a debate coach? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by natasftw View Post

Helipilot, cars are usually limited by other cars on the road. You hadn't noticed? It's called traffic. Great analogy lol
    Some people still don't have LTE (ESP outside of the US, and in rural areas in the US), so that's not fair. Anyway, that wasn't really an important detail pertaining to my point. But thanks for your comment.
    Last edited by iSteveO; 06-06-2013 at 07:40 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone crouching's Avatar
    Thanks

So how do we remove this code?

Thanks

Ummm I'm pretty sure it says 4G in the status bar of my iPhone 5 right now. I'm on AT&T and don't have LTE at my house.
    Last edited by slim.jim; 06-06-2013 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
    Ummm I'm pretty sure it says 4G in the status bar of my iPhone 5 right now.
    It may say that, but you don't have it. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news. 4G won't be out for a couple of years yet. Anyone that has "4G" is currently on LTE, that has some of the 4G features implemented. What you have is ~3.5G. Since it's stronger than 3G and it's easier to market data as numbers to the masses that don't understand the difference, telecommunication companies sell it as 4G.

Here's something to be sure of: Since it doesn't currently exist, you can't possibly have it.

Quote Originally Posted by iSteveO View Post
    Some people still don't have LTE (ESP outside of the US, and in rural areas in the US), so that's not fair. Anyway, that wasn't really an important detail pertaining to my point. But thanks for your comment.
    You made a point to single out Verizon and discuss how the others have non-LTE 4G. It was one of your points. It also wasn't accurate.

Thanks

It may say that, but you don't have it. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news. 4G won't be out for a couple of years yet. Anyone that has "4G" is currently on LTE, that has some of the 4G features implemented. What you have is ~3.5G. Since it's stronger than 3G and it's easier to market data as numbers to the masses that don't understand the difference, telecommunication companies sell it as 4G.

Here's something to be sure of: Since it doesn't currently exist, you can't possibly have it.
    I know that 4G is HSPA+ which is the same signal as 3G but with increased bandwidth. Either way the next gen technology won't be called 4G.

Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
    I know that 4G is HSPA+ which is the same signal as 3G but with increased bandwidth. Either way the next gen technology won't be called 4G.
    4G is a defined signal. It's not out. I'm sorry to disappoint you.

You made a point to single out Verizon and discuss how the others have non-LTE 4G. It was one of your points. It also wasn't accurate.
    Obviously you're trolling.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Venom1234 View Post
    Obviously you're trolling.
    got to love the know-it-all's that read Wikipedia entries.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast