Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
iPhone Newsforums, a part of the
06-05-2013, 11:56 PM #1
Enterprise Trends Don't Mirror Consumer Trends as Apple Dominates the Business Market
Although Google’s Android is the most popular smartphone platform among consumers, Apple’s iOS seems to remain the default choice for the majority of business customers activating phones and tablets according to the latest data from Good Technology. In the first quarter of calendar 2013, iOS accounted for 75% of total device activations among enterprise users according to Good Technology’s latest Mobility Index Report. The remaining 25% were Android devices while other platforms took less than 1%.
Although Apple’s iOS remains dominant in the enterprise, Android has seen a slight gain among business customers over the last year. From the same period in 2012, iOS activation share fell five points this year, while Android was up 5 points. However, much of this growth comes from tablets, where Android saw its biggest gains. Android tablet activations almost doubled year over year in the first quarter calendar of 2013, chipping away at the dominance of Apple’s iPad.
Tablets are becoming increasingly popular among business users that they accounted for 27% of total device activations in the workplace in the first quarter. While tablets are on the rise, smartphones are still the most popular choice. In this segment, Android smartphone activations were flat when compared to the fourth quarter of 2012 according to report.
When breaking down the results on a device-by-device basis, Apple seems to be the clear winner accounting for the five most popular choices, including the iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, latest-generation iPads, and iPad 2. A chart included in the report suggests that the iPhone 3GS is the fifth most popular option but it’s likely meant to represent the iPhone 4 as Apple no longer sells the iPhone 3GS. As of right now, the most popular Android device in the enterprise is currently Samsung’s Galaxy S3, which came six among device activations. Apple’s first-generation iPad took seventh, rounding out its presence in the top 10.
The data was collected from more than 5,000 customers who work for “bellwether companies” in the financial services, healthcare, manufacturing, energy, utilities, legal, government, and high-tech industries. We’ll have to see how these trends change with the new announcements and changes to the lineups by each of the tech giants going forward.
Source: Good Technology via ZDNet