+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Duke's Fuqua School of Business Posts Interview of Tim Cook at Class Reunion

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
This past April, Apple CEO Tim Cook discussed leadership while at his class reunion at Duke University’s Fuqua School of Business. The school has now posted snippets of Cook’s remarks,
    Thanks

Default Duke's Fuqua School of Business Posts Interview of Tim Cook at Class Reunion

This past April, Apple CEO Tim Cook discussed leadership while at his class reunion at Duke University’s Fuqua School of Business. The school has now posted snippets of Cook’s remarks, giving some insight into the style of the man who took over Apple in Steve Jobs’ wake. As of right now, Fuqua has posted seven segments from Cooks’ interview so far, covering collaboration, career planning, intuition, ethical leadership, and more.

When asked by an interview attendee about the importance of following rules and the dictates of professors, Cook responded by saying the following:

I think you should rarely follow the rules," Cook said. "I think you should write the rules. I think if you do follow things in a formulaic manner, you will wind up, at best, being the same as everybody else.
    Furthermore, he quickly expanded the advice to include companies:

If you want to excel, you can't do that. I've watched a lot of companies do that, and I think that's a rotten strategy. Maybe they'll be good for a few months or something.
    Cook also spoke to the leaders he found most inspirational, pointing to Robert Kennedy and Martin Luther King. He said that photos of the two men are the only photos he has in his office, noting that he looks at them every day.

Those of you interested in watching the video can see it below:

For those of you who have been following Apple’s success, you’ll already know that he has seen no small measure of success in the years since assuming the CEO position. Apple’s products have achieved record sales and the company’s stock experiencing record highs. Last year, he was even named one of the most influential people in the world.

Tim Cook has earned a B.S. in industrial engineering from Auburn University and his M.B.A from Fuqua before taking on roles at Intelligent Electronics, IBM, and then Compaq. Steve Jobs originally brought Cook into Apple in 1998 for the role of Senior Vice President for Worldwide Operations, where he transformed Apple’s manufacturing operations, largely through sourcing those operations to manufacturing partners. He moved up to the Chief Operations Office role in 2007. Cook finally took the reins at Apple following Jobs’ resignation in August of 2011.

Source: YouTube (Fuqua School of Business)
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 06-03-2013 at 08:08 PM.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

Anyone else notice the fact that Steve didn't inspire him?

*T*
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpidermanAPV View Post
    Anyone else notice the fact that Steve didn't inspire him?
    Do you have a framed picture of your boss in your office?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    Do you have a framed picture of your boss in your office?
    Maybe not, but I still think it's strange that the man who started and ran the company you're now CEO of, and virtually started the industry your company is a part of would at least be mentioned as an inspiration...