+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Chicago Sun-Times To Begin Mandatory "iPhone Photography Basics" for All Reporters

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Chicago Sun-Times To Begin Mandatory "iPhone Photography Basics" for All Reporters

One of the older daily newspapers in America, The Chicago Sun-Times, fired its entire pool of 28 photographers recently with the plans to source future graphics from reporters who will be trained to capture print-worthy images with their iPhones. Reported by former Sun-Times columnist Robert Feder on Facebook, the publication plans to give reporters mandatory training in “iPhone photography basics” as a replacement for the outgoing photographers.

With smartphones that include camera-toting features, an increasing number of news outlets are training to the public for immediate “on the scene” shots. An example of the situation would be the initial news coverage of the tornado in Oklahoma being covered with smartphone pictures being posted on various social media sites.

Feder’s Facebook page mentioned the following:

Sun-Times reporters begin mandatory training today on "iPhone photography basics" following elimination of the paper's entire photography staff. "In the coming days and weeks, we'll be working with all editorial employees to train and outfit you as much as possible to produce the content we need," managing editor Craig Newman tells staffers in a memo.
    It appears the Sun-Times is looking to use the iPhone’s camera as a step-up from amateur-shot pictures currently used by Web and TV media. While Apple’s latest iPhone 5 takes image captured to new levels with an 8-megapixel CMOS sensor with glass optical elements and a man-made sapphire cover glass, it can’t compete with modern digital SLRs, especially when the cameras are in the hands of a seasoned professional. The publication is willing to take a chance though and believes with the proper training, reporters can gather images at a quality high enough to be published.

Source: Facebook via The New York Times

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

*T*
    Thanks

Possibly the worst idea I have ever heard in my life. Are these guys gonna be adding a filter too? Putting them on instagram?

Thanks

Sad news

Thanks

Next up firing the rest of the staff because print is dead.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I dont see why its a "terrible" idea. Why pay professional photographers to take professional pictures when its just going to be printed on ****** paper anyways?

Im looking at the Sun-Times from Friday the 31st and pretty much all of the pictures in here look like they were taken with the iphone 3G anyways.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to klip2006 For This Useful Post:

ttiger (06-02-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree with klip.

Plus what's up with mandatory training. My 4 yr old niece can take photos without any training. This is iPhone we are talking about. If they say mandatory training on Galaxy S4, I'd understand.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

The Chicago Sun-Times won't last 2 seconds in a anchorman standoff.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh please, the iPhone 5 camera sucks. NO real zoom, BAD color reproduction, Terrible night pictures, Flash sucks, low quality 8 mega pixel. The ONLY time the phone takes good pictures is on a bright sunny day outside.

Thanks

Most photographs in print are nothing to be proud of. My son could take better pics in most instances. Only way to survive as a business in this economy is to cut dead weight. Everyone I know has a smartphone or iTouch or iPad. They all have camera's..in the end we are all photographers :]

Thanks

What about composition? I doubt they're teaching that.