+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'AltKeyboard' Improves Productivity When Typing in iOS

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default 'AltKeyboard' Improves Productivity When Typing in iOS

It’s time to improve typing in iOS. Apple hasn’t made any significant leaps, so the jailbreak community will instead!

A new jailbreak tweak called AltKeyboard by iOS developer Alan Yip and human interface designer Sentry_NC is now available in Cydia. AltKeyboard, as shown above, makes the iOS keyboard much more usable.

You will notice that the primary characters on the keys have been shrunken down to make room for secondary characters, which appear at the top of the key. With AltKeyboard, you can type normally, but if you want to access the character at the top of the key, you can just tap on the key and then swipe upwards to access the character at the top of the key.

This function doesn’t affect your ability to access accented characters – you can still hold down on a key and wait for the accented characters menu to appear and you can type them as you need. AltKeyboard only works when you swipe up immediately after tapping a key, so there’s a very clear and distinguished way to access either the secondary character or your accented characters.

The tweak saves you some time while typing and improves your productivity by keeping you from having to switch between letter and auxiliary character keyboards excessively. This way, everything you think you are going to need can be easily accessed from the main keyboard view.

AltKeyboard adds a preferences pane to the Settings application, although you won't find any options to configure there. Instead, you will find a test keyboard text field, as well as information about the creators and a way to contact them for support:

Currently, AltKeyboard does not yet support the iPad, but support for the iPad will come in the future according to Sentry. AltKeyboard requires iOS 6.0 or later on your iPhone or iPod touch to function. If you would like to give it a shot, it's available right now in Cydia's BigBoss repository for just 99˘.

Name: AltKeyboard
    Price: 99˘
    Version: 1.0.0
    Requirements: iPhone or iPod touch running iOS 6.0+
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer(s): Alan Yip and Sentry_NC
    Editor's Rating: / 4.5/5

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

thizzface69 (05-31-2013)

Thanks
    I'll pass on this in comparison to octopus keyboard.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Actually there are 2 options you can configure: you can change 'Flick Up' to 'Slide Up' which is a slower motion; and you can switch from 'Alternate Key' to 'Shifted Key.' Neither of those options are better than the default, IMHO, but its nice to have a couple options.

I really like this tweak, although it's going to take a while to get out the habit of tapping the '123' button automatically ;-)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Ryaninfg's Avatar
    Thanks

Been waiting forever for this! Just have to get used to it now. Only compatible with lighter colored key themes for color keyboard. The letters are always black. Love it either way!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryaninfg For This Useful Post:

iH85CH001 (05-31-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

A useful tweak

Thanks

Is this compatible with iKiwi?

iPhone? More like MyPhone posrjak's Avatar
    Thanks

Like it and might be something for apple to take notice on. I am also fan of Octopus keyboard, don't think I am willing to give that up for this.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Needs to be compatible with color keyboard!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Freund117 View Post
    Is this compatible with iKiwi?
    I installed it with ikiwi and they played nice... I was impressed that they were compatible...

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    Needs to be compatible with color keyboard!
    It worked fine for me with a 5 row color keyboard...

On top of it all it worked with swipe selection and in landscape mode...

Super stoked on this tweak (after I get used to not hitting the 123 button like others said.)
    Last edited by Sage I; 06-01-2013 at 12:37 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Off: Can anyone say android?
    On: I was wondering when someone will port this to the iPhone, love it on Android. Will see how it does on iOS.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

I much prefer my touchPAL Swype keyboard. doing get me wrong, I love the concept and there developers who made it but Swype is much better in my opinion and would love for someone to make one that doesn't require the download of an app store app and was in English.

iPhone? More like MyPhone HovikGas's Avatar
    Thanks

Whatever happened to BlindType?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I love this tweak and had been hoping for a while for one to be created. It makes typing alot faster and very similar to the everyday keyboard I use. The fact that I had to go back and forth was so on my nerves lolll so for me, .99 cents is so worth it,,, used for about an hour and what a difference Thank you Alan and Sentry

I bet the answer is many developers chose or could not update their tweaks with IOS 6 so they put them to rest hence the reason I purchase must have tweaks for productivity reasons and a few themes/tweaks for customization and that's it. Learned my lesson with IOS 5

Quote Originally Posted by HovikGas View Post
    Whatever happened to BlindType?
    Last edited by lizzy954; 06-01-2013 at 06:38 PM.

Elizabeth

iPhone? More like MyPhone ABOSWORTH's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    I much prefer my touchPAL Swype keyboard. doing get me wrong, I love the concept and there developers who made it but Swype is much better in my opinion and would love for someone to make one that doesn't require the download of an app store app and was in English.
    I'm still getting used to this tweak but I think I'm going to really like it. I tried swipe texting and I just hate it so this is a great option for me.

Thanks

doesn't work on ipad yet does it?

Thanks

Still trying to retrain myself to not hit the 123... When I do remember to use this mod I'm always super stoked... Yay! .99 well spent... Another point for our team Cydia... Where would I be without Cydia and the myriad of Dev's and their tweaks and mods... I check the App Store for updates only, maybe once a week... I check Cydia at least 5 or 6 times a day... My number of installed Cydia packages is far greater a number than all the apps from the App Store I have installed...

iPhone? More like MyPhone Haysann's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice tweak but when u scroll to the spotlight…it lags