Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's iPhone Sales in India Up 400% Thanks to Aggressive Pricing Strategies

Thanks

Default Apple's iPhone Sales in India Up 400% Thanks to Aggressive Pricing Strategies

Investment firm Credit Suisse says that the institution of installment payment plans and deep discounts in India has netted Apple up to a fourfold boost in iPhone sales over the past four months with the company moving nearly 400,000 handsets each month. According to analyst Sunil Tirumalai, Apple’s equal monthly installment (EMI) and cash-back programs have jump-started sales in India, which used to be around 70,000 to 80,000 units per month before the aggressive pricing schemes.

As a growing market, India’s smartphone sector has traditionally been dominated by low-cost feature phones while products such as the iPhone have been out of reach for the majority of consumers. The latest estimates suggest the iPhone now accounts for nearly 3% of the entire Indian market.

Apple’s “aggressive approach” to iPhone sales in the world’s second most populated nation includes extensive advertising but more importantly an interest-free EMI initiative that allows buyers to put down a partial payment on an iPhone 4 or 4S and pay the remainder over the next 6 to 12 months. Tirumalai said the following:

The 4-9% implicit discount coupled with the option of easy EMIs spread over 6-12 months became popular. Within a few months, our discussions with handset retailers indicated that iPhone sales went up 3-4x, forcing companies to respond.
    Apple added an 18% cash discount to the iPhone 4 deal, effectively nullifying the partial down payment. According to India’s Economic Times, this resulted in an effective discount of 23% to 27%, making the handset more attractive for first-time smartphone buyers. Credit Suisse’s report, which based its numbers on mobile device retailers and distributors, is in line with preliminary IDC estimates from February, which noted an identical 400% increase in sales. As part of its rush, the Cupertino California company began offering trade-in rebates earlier in May, with students getting 7,777 rupees (roughly $134) off certain iPhone models.

If Apple can keep sales up in markets such as India, the company will continue to prosper going forward.

Source: Economic Times via AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

numbers game again.
    4x suck sales numbers can still suck.
    400,000/month at worlds 2nd largest population that number still sucked.
    Apple need that cheap iPhone made ASAP to boost sales in India.

Cool, maybe someone in India will find a way to jailbreak the iphone lol.

I dont like this though. A couple of months back i was the only iphone owner in atleast a 5 km radius! And when i took it out of my pocket, i used to get the reaction i was looking for. Especially cuz it costs like half a month's income for the upper middle class..
    Now i pull out my 4s, and people look down upon me as some poverty stricken loser, and keep playing on their 5's.. I still love my phone but i'd rather it remain an elite device. ITS NOT MEANT FOR MASS CONSUMPTION!
    If i wanted a phone that EVERYONE tom **** and harry had, i wud buy a samsung!

Quote Originally Posted by Mohit555 View Post
    I dont like this though. A couple of months back i was the only iphone owner in atleast a 5 km radius! And when i took it out of my pocket, i used to get the reaction i was looking for. Especially cuz it costs like half a month's income for the upper middle class..
    Now i pull out my 4s, and people look down upon me as some poverty stricken loser, and keep playing on their 5's.. I still love my phone but i'd rather it remain an elite device. ITS NOT MEANT FOR MASS CONSUMPTION!
    If i wanted a phone that EVERYONE tom **** and harry had, i wud buy a samsung!
    Now you know how we all feel.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Donnutt's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OUT FOX EM View Post
    Now you know how we all feel.
    Too funny. I used to be one of the only ones in my town to have one, then AT&T bought Alltel, now everyone has one... Ah well... Couldn't maintain elite status for ever I guess...

I love how Samsung and android users everywhere dis iPhones and rave how much better their phones are, but the most elite phone is and probably always will be the iPhone...