Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Nuance CEO Confirms Apple's Siri Contains Nuance Technology

Thanks

Default Nuance CEO Confirms Apple's Siri Contains Nuance Technology

Many have suspected that Nuance technology was present in Siri and Nuance has finally confirmed it. Nuance, the leader in digital speech recognition, has long been thought to have contributed technology to Apple’s digital assistant though neither company had confirmed it to be true until today. Speaking at the AllThingsD’s D11 conference, Nuance CEO, Paul Ricci, made the confirmation that Apple’s Siri contains Nuance technology. This was made apparent after Ricci admitted the following when asked whether Nuance was to blame when Siri doesn’t understand certain requests:

We are the fundamental provider of voice recognition for Apple.
    Ricci continued by explaining that Nuance doesn’t handle Siri’s artificial intelligence layers, only the voice recognition. He even went as far as saying that Siri has both embedded and cloud technology for voice recognition but that feature is overall a cloud solution. Ricci continued by noting that Nuance doesn’t do voice recognition solely for Apple. In addition to the company’s own Dragon Dictation software, Nuance works with Samsung, presumably on the company’s S-Voice competitor and other companies to develop voice applications on the Android as well.

One thing that Nuance is not involved with though is Google’s speech-recognition effort, Google Now. The feature, which was recently brought to the iOS platform and even more recently named in a Siri patent suit, is thought to have largely derived from Google's own voice recognition efforts and voice services.

According to Ricci, going forward, we’ll see virtual assistants becoming much more robust and compatible across multiple platforms. He feels that:

The real problem is creating a virtual assistant that can understand what the user wants and take action based on anticipating those needs.
    What do you feel about Siri or virtual assistants as a whole? Do you use them often?

Source: AllThingsD

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

I use Siri sometimes when driving for texts.

iPhone? More like MyPhone HovikGas's Avatar
    Thanks

I pretty much only used it for reminders, and now that doesn't work for some freakin reason! Everything else works, but when I ask to be reminded of something, my phone hangs then resprings, NOT into safe mode though, so it's not a mobile substrate issue... I don't know what the heck it is, but I could use some ideas...

Quote Originally Posted by HovikGas View Post
    I pretty much only used it for reminders, and now that doesn't work for some freakin reason! Everything else works, but when I ask to be reminded of something, my phone hangs then resprings, NOT into safe mode though, so it's not a mobile substrate issue... I don't know what the heck it is, but I could use some ideas...

Do you have any tweaks that change reminders or use use reminders functions? Or any Siri tweaks? If so, try uninstalling them.

Quote Originally Posted by HovikGas View Post
    Still might be a MS issue. If I were you I would use sbsettings to disable all MS tweaks and see if the issue still occurs. If it works, at that point you need to start turning the items back on, one at a time to see which is causing the crash.

Back on topic I use Siri for reminders as well as starting timers on a daily basis... For general inquires however I don't use it that much...
    Last edited by reznor9; 05-31-2013 at 08:46 AM.

I really only used it when I first got my iPhone but not much more after. Siri is honestly pretty useless except when driving.

No wonder why google search is the best voice recognition service out of the three. This guy sucks and doesn't want to own up to the bad voice service. Siri is bad and s-voice is worse when asking for something to get done hands free. Google has nothing to do with this guy and from the design to the way the text show as you speak makes it excel.

Siri is lightyears behind Google on voice.
    I think Google uses the Dragon Dictation algorithm.
    If there were a Turing Prize for voice recognition, Google would have won it several years ago.
    Try it over a good BT headset - absolutely infallible (if you speak unaccented English).
    Its voice functionality makes Google Search THE most impressive app ... period!

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneThereforeIAm View Post
    Siri is lightyears behind Google on voice.
    I think Google uses the Dragon Dictation algorithm.
    If there were a Turing Prize for voice recognition, Google would have won it several years ago.
    Try it over a good BT headset - absolutely infallible (if you speak unaccented English).
    Its voice functionality makes Google Search THE most impressive app ... period!
    http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-574...oice-hands-on/

Period.

They're both hopeless.
    Deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    I really only used it when I first got my iPhone but not much more after. Siri is honestly pretty useless except when driving.
    Lol Siri is useless except when its useful. Something doesn't have to be used all the time or regularly to be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    Lol Siri is useless except when its useful. Something doesn't have to be used all the time or regularly to be useful.
    But something has to be usable to be useful.
    Apple should just do a deal with Google (or Dragon Dict.) and use their algorithm for Siri.
    Now that WOULD make the iPhone more of a force.

Thanks

But something has to be usable to be useful.
    Apple should just do a deal with Google (or Dragon Dict.) and use their algorithm for Siri.
    Now that WOULD make the iPhone more of a force.
    Siri is totally usable for me. Here's a few examples I use Siri for several times a day:

Remind me to call John Doe at 8pm

Text my uncle that I'll be there at 6

Set a timer for 45 minutes

Wake me up at 5:45 am

Remind me to call my sister when I reach home

Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    Siri is totally usable for me. Here's a few examples I use Siri for several times a day:

Remind me to call John Doe at 8pm

Text my uncle that I'll be there at 6

Set a timer for 45 minutes

Wake me up at 5:45 am

Remind me to call my sister when I reach home
    Denial much.

Thanks

Denial much.
    English is not my first language so I don't quite understand what u mean by denial much. Please explain.

English is not my first language so I don't quite understand what u mean by denial much. Please explain.
    Google is your friend.

Thanks

Google is your friend.
    Why do u think I'd lie to you that I use Siri all the time? I do and it works great for me. Maybe it doesn't work for you for whatever reason and that's beyond me.

Why do u think I'd lie to you that I use Siri all the time? I do and it works great for me. Maybe it doesn't work for you for whatever reason and that's beyond me.
    I agree. I've had zero issues with Siri. I find it 10x more useful than google now. I've used both