+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cook: Apple to Open iOS to Third-Party Developers

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Cook: Apple to Open iOS to Third-Party Developers

Of the myriad of topics crammed into Cook’s one hour interview at the D11 conference, one of the topics that came up was regarding the company’s mobile OS and third party developers. Cook said that third-party developers would slowly gain access to iOS application programming interfaces (APIs) in the future, allowing for apps to integrate with higher functions of iOS devices.

When asked whether the company’s mobile OS would become more “open” to developers, Cook ended up telling AllThingsD’s Walt Mossberg and Kara Swisher the following:

Of course. On the general topic of opening up APIs, I think you'll see us open up more in the future, but not to the degree that we put the customer at risk of having a bad experience. So there's always a fine line to walk there, or maybe not so fine.
    Cook believes customers pay for Apple to make certain choices on their behalf, including the system’s security and stability. Mossberg referenced Google’s Android lock screen assets as an example of being open to developers. He even went as far as pointing to Facebook’s Home Android launcher, saying he heard the social network offered a similar solution for iOS. When asked about this in specific, Cook responded with the following:

I've see some of these settings screens, and I don't think that's what customers want. Do some want it? Yes
    As a result, he expects iOS to become more open but hinted that the control will still ultimately lie in Apple’s hands.

Source: AllThingsD

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Akshay Masand For This Useful Post:

gogi6 (05-29-2013)

Thanks

This is a positive in my book. Who remembers around pre 2007 & nokia N95 when it was such a hassle getting apps on your phone! Apple stepped up first with a great os then born from cydia ( I believe) the AppStore. Every phone manufacturer owes a lot to apple and now this is the news we have all been waiting for.
    Last edited by se23; 05-29-2013 at 05:35 AM.

Banned
    Thanks

He's right. People who buy Crapple do expect Crapple to make choices on their behalf. That's because most of the people who buy Crapple products are simple and have no imagination and are about as tech savvy as a rock!

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

I have to agree, Apple is not doing a bad job with the iPhone/iPad/iPod (iOS). It's very stable, rock solid, and has a TON of support in every way shape and form. If he says they will open up more year after year that's enough for me. (jailbreak or not) JustCasue152, as soon as you used the word Crapple I couldn't take you serious. The world is a better place because of how standard/stable iOS is. They haven't abused their control yet. I'll be happy the jump ship if they cross the line in the future, but so far so good.

Thanks

Justcause.. You're so smart. I wish apple people were smart as you. /s

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JustCause152 View Post
    He's right. People who buy Crapple do expect Crapple to make choices on their behalf. That's because most of the people who buy Crapple products are simple and have no imagination and are about as tech savvy as a rock!
    Heh, and I'm sure you're using Windows right? I'm sure you expect Windows to make a few choices on your behalf as well. Like for example what the default design of your overall OS is like. Not because you are as tech savvy as a pair of socks, but because you can't be arsed.

Thanks

It's always so amusing when ignorant shows itself...

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to plaintom For This Useful Post:

slim.jim (05-29-2013), wiipro (05-29-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me fanboyfanboy's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd like to see widgets for notification center and quick reply a standard thing. But to get things like MCP+, intelliscreen x, zephyr etc. I doubt iOS will open up that much

Thanks

This is sarcasm right?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by se23 View Post
    This is a positive in my book. Who remembers around pre 2007 & nokia N95 when it was such a hassle getting apps on your phone! Apple stepped up first with a great os then born from cydia ( I believe) the AppStore. Every phone manufacturer owes a lot to apple and now this is the news we have all been waiting for.
    Both Installer and Cydia I miss Installer, those were retro days. And I also agree, this is a positive thing. I'm excited, the next 11 days couldn't go faster

Thanks

Just a troll on our site. Ignore him, he'll go away. After all, he has nothing to add except for...., nope, he has nothing to add.
    Senior

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mr117 For This Useful Post:

Rcworship (05-29-2013)

Thanks

Would it be too complicated if they made both an open and closed version? What I like about everything in the App Store is I don't have to worry about complications or viruses like in Cydia for my wife's phone. For me I JB but download cautiously.

Thanks

How's your Galaxy?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Oh my a apple troll in a apple news blog. Someone get this guy a LIFE.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by devteamtools View Post
    Both Installer and Cydia I miss Installer, those were retro days. And I also agree, this is a positive thing. I'm excited, the next 11 days couldn't go faster
    Lol I forgot about installer I reckon they are going to open it up a bit because of the rumoured iwatch. Devs could make some cool new integrated apps with it. Personally I'd get more out of an iwatch than google glass

iPhone? More like MyPhone mbeezy81's Avatar
    Thanks

Yet your in an Apple Forum, smh. Somebody doesn't get enough attention in life huh?!

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,334 Times in 728 Posts

Yeah he obviously owns an android.

Thanks

Wait...I don't get it...who's crapple? 😬

Thanks

"Cook believes customers pay for Apple to make certain choices on their behalf, including the system’s security and stability."

He sounds like the US govt, knowing what's best for us.

I enjoy the security and stability, however, I think it should be up to the user to customize the overall look of the UI. I've seen some people do some ugly things with their UI, but it's their phone so more power to them.

They really need to add a "sheep mode" button for people that want ios to "just work" and open up the UI for the rest of us.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

That's great, but I'd prefer a mobile OS that's more open to consumers.
    I don't much care for all these locks and restrictions to protect the consumers from themselves. For example, preventing iPhone owners from downgrading to an older version of iOS. Why do that? I can see they want everyone to have a modern, consistent experience, but if someone wants to downgrade their phone to an older iOS and are fine with the drawbacks of running an older iOS, why not let them? Imagine if Microsoft somehow made it so if you've ever installed Windows 8 on a PC, you could never downgrade back to Windows 7, or back in the Vista days, you couldn't downgrade back to XP. I don't think most people would like that at all, so why have that kind of restriction on a mobile OS? Also, why fight jailbreakers? Why not let users decide if they want to take the risk of installing apps from unknown sources? I can understand not wanting to offer technical support to these people and telling people with jailbroken phones that they're SOL unless they want to restore back to stock, but people should be allowed to jailbreak their phones if they want to. Better yet, just add the ability to install apps from unknown sources in Settings and few people would need to jailbreak in the first place.

It's those kinds of restrictions against consumers that have me eying Android more and more.