+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 5S to Have Double the Resolution of the iPhone 5?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The iPhone 5 comes with a four-inch display that carries a retina resolution of 1136 pixels by 640 pixels. This is already a stunning display, and Apple has one goal
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iPhone 5S to Have Double the Resolution of the iPhone 5?

The iPhone 5 comes with a four-inch display that carries a retina resolution of 1136 pixels by 640 pixels. This is already a stunning display, and Apple has one goal with the future of the iPhone – make it better.

The latest rumor via Chinese site WeiPhone.com tells us that Apple is planning to double the iPhone 5’s retina display resolution in the iPhone 5S, which is expected to be Apple’s next iPhone to be released some time this year.

The source (a little rough because of the translation) indicates that the iPhone 5S will have not only double the resolution, but also a narrower bezel:

According to sources, iPhone 5S (or iPhone 6) or to have a more narrow screen frame, is now preparing, will ship in September. In addition, the product also has a screen 1.5 million pixels, compared to nearly 730,000 iPhone 5 the number of pixels, if not the screen size continues to increase, the resolution will be greatly improved.
    With Apple’s current retina display it’s difficult to see any pixels in the display, but a focused eye can still see them. With double the resolution packed in nearly the exact same area, it would be even harder, if not nearly impossible to see the pixels with the naked eye.

Notably, any changes that would impact the resolution this much would require App Store application developers to re-work application resolutions to prevent the blurriness that occurred over the transition from the iPhone 3GS to the first retina display in the iPhone 4.

The iPhone 5S is expected to also carry a faster processor than the iPhone 5, but the main design of the device itself is expected to remain similar to the iPhone 5 following a pattern of previous iPhone releases.

Sources: WeiPhone via MacRumors

Thanks
    Thanked 3,808 Times in 2,187 Posts

Please someone explain why apple would do this
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    Why would they not do it? Would you rather less pixels and a slower processor?

*T*
    Thanks

Apple isn't doing this, it's a rumor, nothin more.

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

more pixels require a beefier processor - we all see what happened with the iPad 3 - It performed as well as the iPad 2. We only sway a true upgrade with the release of the iPad 4 or iPad 3S (whatever). Now we are getting excellent benchmark results. I seriously doubt that Apple is going to double the PPI.

I want better battery life, more RAM, and a much much much better camera - and that will make me happy.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vietkool's Avatar
    Thanks

Just a rumor !!! Apple is not gonna do anything non-profitable to them

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xhazex9x View Post
    They wouldn't do it because it would be completely ******* useless. 99% of people can NOT see the individual pixels on the iPhone 5S, and though I'm part of that 1%, I'm not going to be sitting there straining my eyes and going, "Hey! I can see the pixels!!"

The resolution is EXTREMELY high as is, and increasing that resolution won't do A THING. THAT'S why. It'll be a complete waste of processing AND price!

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,304 Times in 705 Posts

If android did it why wouldn't apple?

Thanks

Simple yet complex answer is going to be
    A) the power it will take to keep that screen going
    B)unless they have some new battery technology your looking at a 8 mins battery life phone.
    C) it's pointless they could get a higher ppi to be competitive with the other phones out their but test show apple has the best color or rgb performance you can't have both right now technology just isn't there yet.
    D) expense. Nuff said for it to be on the mass consumer market they can't do it and make it affordable
    E) performance you would have to have a super processor
    F) it's a rumor and that's all it will then out to be

Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Wasnt there an article that stated that Samsung was/is coming out with a display better than apple's current retina display? If this story is true, this might be a "response" to "beat" samsungs' new displays.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    Because that's all Crapple knows how to do these days is resize and recycle old sh.it!

Most of the crap out there doesn't even fit in the current resolution, might as well start from scratch, AGAIN!

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,304 Times in 705 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JustCause152 View Post
    Because that's all Crapple knows how to do these days is resize and recycle old sh.it!

Most of the crap out there doesn't even fit in the current resolution, might as well start from scratch, AGAIN!
    My only defense is if its not broke don't fix it. And to make an app in the App Store it has to be available for iPhone 5 as well. Plus old developers have gotten emails to update their apps.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scorpio02150 View Post
    Wasnt there an article that stated that Samsung was/is coming out with a display better than apple's current retina display? If this story is true, this might be a "response" to "beat" samsungs' new displays.
    There are multiple samsung and HTC phone with a better ppi then apple

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scorpio02150 View Post
    Most new phones out have better ppi than the iPhone

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I can see this happening on the i phone 6 with the new ios7 this would be killer.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Doubling the resolution wouldn't be enough. I'd still be able to make out the individual pixels with my electron microscope.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
    I want better battery life, more RAM, and a much much much better camera - and that will make me happy.
    Buy a tesla, a desktop, and a dslr

My iPhone is a Part of Me slim.jim's Avatar
    Thanks

They wouldn't do this as part of an S series device.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,839 Times in 876 Posts

I can maybe see increasing it but not sure about doubling it. Just don't see the point really. But hey I'm always down for better stuff. So if that's the plan then Bring it lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
    Your profile says you have a 3GS...
    They have made MANY improvements since then....