+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'Background Manager' Lets Applications Run in the Background Rather Than Being Suspended

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default 'Background Manager' Lets Applications Run in the Background Rather Than Be Suspended

In iOS, when you close an application and launch a new application, the application you closed is suspended in the iOS device’s memory so you can focus on the new application that you have open. This means the processes of the application you closed will be suspended and will resume when you open the application again.

A new jailbreak tweak called Background Manager by iOS developer deVbug allows you to choose if you want the applications you close to be suspended in the iOS device’s memory, or if you want the applications to continue running in the background while you open other applications to start doing other things. The tweak lets you configure its settings for all applications globally, or you can configure the tweak for each application on your iOS device individually.

When you download the tweak and you go to the Settings application, you will notice a new Background Manager preferences pane that you can open to start playing with the tweak’s settings:

You will see two main groups – global and each app. The global preferences will apply to all applications on the iOS device, while the each app preferences will apply only to each individual application that you change the settings for.

Starting with global, you will be able to choose a background mode; you have three choices: none (for no multitasking at all), background (for having the application run in the background), or native (for having the application get suspended in memory).

You will then be able to enable or disable a feature that lets the application fall back to the native memory suspension after the background processes are finished. You will also be able to enable or disable forcing the native mode, and enable or disable the tweak at launch.

For configuring the tweak on a per-application basis, you will be able to tap on the each app cell rather than global. From here, you can add individual applications to the list that you want to customize your settings for.

Just like the global preferences, you will be able to choose if you want the application to run in the background, get suspended, or neither. You’ll also be able to force native mode, enable at launch, and choose auto launch or auto re-launch options.

The tweak seems to work very well; as an example, we were able to upload photos to Dropbox even after we exited the application. Usually, the photo uploads would pause until you re-opened the application.

If you'd like to give Background Manager a try, it's available in Cydia's BigBoss repository for 99. The tweak is compatible with iOS 6.0 and later.

Name: Background Manager
    Price: 99
    Version: 0.9-9
    Requirements: iOS 6.0+
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: deVbug
    Editor's Rating:  4/5
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 05-26-2013 at 10:29 PM.

Thanks

all this needs is is an activator feature to choose what you want while you're in the app and i would so buy it

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Bought it I wanted something like this so my line2 will stay on insomnia didn't help in this regards I was missing backgrounder so much!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I've tried it and it does nothing for me

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

When I choose 'Background' mode, under it there is another option 'in Background mode'; there's another 2 option: Fallback to Native (ON/OFF) and Force Native mode (ON/OFF); what this 2 options do? Can someone explain? If I want to put an app to background mode, should this 2 options be off or on? Confuse ~ Please advice. Thanks ..

Thanks

Only for iOS6, when most of us are at 6.1.2 and going. What's wrong with people is it so hard to make for 6+
    And then you have the nerve to charge for something that's going to be no good in a month or so.
    Just a quick buck tweak- useless :-/

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

Really just iOS 6? I'm on 6.1.2. No dice for me. Seemed like a good one. V

iPhone? More like MyPhone xXDrizzyyXx's Avatar
    Thanks

iOS 6 does mean 6+ lovely person.

Mod edit
    Last edited by Cowboy; 05-28-2013 at 01:14 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xXDrizzyyXx For This Useful Post:

5kylar (05-27-2013), buggsy2 (05-26-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

It works for me but I don't really find it that useful, can someone kindly name a couple of mainstream apps that this would be useful for? Or any apps at all? I really like the concept. I just can't find a use.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Scotty Manley Silberhorn For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (05-26-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone xXDrizzyyXx's Avatar
    Thanks

One example is Cydia it'll keep running in the back ground. I don't think some of you understand the difference between suspending an app and keeping it running in the BG.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xXDrizzyyXx View Post
    One example is Cydia it'll keep running in the back ground. I don't think some of you understand the difference between suspending an app and keeping it running in the BG.
    Explain why it would be beneficial to keep cydia running though. It's really not something you launch all of the time. I launch it about once a day to check to see if there's updates, other than that it can stay suspended or even closed so it saves some battery.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WiiWendy View Post
    Only for iOS6, when most of us are at 6.1.2 and going. What's wrong with people is it so hard to make for 6+
    And then you have the nerve to charge for something that's going to be no good in a month or so.
    Just a quick buck tweak- useless :-/
    iOS 6.1.2 and later are still iOS 6.... edited for clarity...

Thanks

Finally a JB app that isn't a theme or another lockscreen tweak.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mlee19841 View Post
    Really just iOS 6? I'm on 6.1.2. No dice for me. Seemed like a good one. V
    You realize iOS 6.1.2 is iOS 6, right? The first number is the actual OS number and anything that follows are minor fixes and tweaks.

Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
    Finally a JB app that isn't a theme or another lockscreen tweak.
    +1

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by plcrules View Post
    all this needs is is an activator feature to choose what you want while you're in the app and i would so buy it
    +1

Backgrounder allowed to force run an app in background at will using activator.
    This functionality is missing in both, InfinityTask and Background Manager

Green Apple
    Thanks

Disappointed with this, thought it was gonna be the same as backgrounder. It misses the functionality of being able to disable the app completely from entering a suspended state, thus not clogging up the switcher and using up ram. I pray someone can fix backgrounder to work with iOS 6 one day.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    This tweak is great and cheap too but the dev did make the mistake of leaving the tweak disabled by default after installing it so some people end up thinking it doesn't work. A guide/tutorial would also have been nice to explain to people how the settings effect behaviour. By choosing background and turning off fallback and force to native an app can in theory run forever or until your out of RAM. Fallback to native just means after the current task an app is doing is completed it will be suspended (just like normal). "Remove recents" is a great companion to this tweak as there's no confusion as to which switcher apps are open/suspended/backgrounded and which are recently opened but closed at the moment.

How is this tweak useful?
    Example: If your downloading something big in safari and want to lock the device or use another app the download will continue and not restart every time you go back to safari like it normally does.

Quote Originally Posted by dazdaman80 View Post
    Disappointed with this, thought it was gonna be the same as backgrounder. It misses the functionality of being able to disable the app completely from entering a suspended state, thus not clogging up the switcher and using up ram. I pray someone can fix backgrounder to work with iOS 6 one day.
    I don't fully get what you mean. Do you want to have some apps not background or suspend at all? If so choose the "off" setting for that specific app and it will disable Apples native multitasking. "Remove recents" tweak is good at keeping switcher clean.

Quote Originally Posted by yohu123 View Post
    +1

Backgrounder allowed to force run an app in background at will using activator.
    This functionality is missing in both, InfinityTask and Background Manager
    Like I've already said above; turning off all the settings related to native will run all apps in background until you kill them using switcher or your out of RAM (you can't get round the limitations of RAM).
    Last edited by Gervs; 05-27-2013 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Answering people's questions.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gervs View Post
    I don't fully get what you mean. Do you want to have some apps not background or suspend at all? If so choose the "off" setting for that specific app and it will disable Apples native multitasking. "Remove recents" tweak is good at keeping switcher clean.

That's great, exactly what I was looking for. I wanted to disable all apps from going into a backgrounded or suspended state as this was a RAM drain, selecting 'none' under global sorted this. Installed 'remove recents' too, no more clogging up the switcher. This is far less complicated than what backgrounder was. Thanks a lot.

iPhone? More like MyPhone 5kylar's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dazdaman80 View Post
    That's great, exactly what I was looking for. I wanted to disable all apps from going into a backgrounded or suspended state as this was a RAM drain, selecting 'none' under global sorted this. Installed 'remove recents' too, no more clogging up the switcher. This is far less complicated than what backgrounder was. Thanks a lot.
    Why not just disable multitasking altogether if your not going to use it? Saves even more memory
    iPhone 5c - iOS 7.0.4 Jailbroken

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 5kylar View Post
    Why not just disable multitasking altogether if your not going to use it? Saves even more memory
    How would I do this ?, I used to disable it through 'springtomize' before they removed that option. Last time I looked in Cydia there was no iOS 6 compatible tweak that done this.