+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Adding iPhone to GoPhone Prepaid Family

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
AT&T, the former exclusive iPhone carrier in the United States, is adding the Apple smartphone to its lineup of fully supported prepaid devices. As of today, iPhone owners have access
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default AT&T Adding iPhone to GoPhone Prepaid Family

AT&T, the former exclusive iPhone carrier in the United States, is adding the Apple smartphone to its lineup of fully supported prepaid devices. As of today, iPhone owners have access to AT&T's prepaid GoPhone plan.

AT&T's prepaid GoPhone service reportedly now includes an iPhone purchase option. What's more, users are gaining the addition of 4G LTE and HSPA+ support.

Customers, we're told, can select from three monthly plans. There's a $65 plan with data access included in part of the package. The $50 and $25 plans, however, require separate data packages in order for them to be activated.

Existing GoPhone subscribers who own an iPhone or 4G device will automatically get updated with the network data access on June 21. However, they can call AT&T customer care to activate the feature before that date.
    In the past, GoPhone has been accessible to iPhone users, but without cellular data access. With these freshly unveiled changes, it looks like the iPhone will finally have access to all the bells and whistles of AT&T services through GoPhone.

Source: CNET

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

So what's the catch? This seems to good to be true to drop net 10.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lilrican21 View Post
    So what's the catch? This seems to good to be true to drop net 10.
    $65.00/mo.
    unlimited talk and text within the US, plus unlimited text to Mexico, Canada and over 100 countries. It also includes 1 Gigabyte of Data /Mobile web usage per month. Unused data allowances do not rollover. Data usage over 1GB will be charged at 5c/1MB.

So if you use 2 GB a month, your bill would be $116. Pretty expensive if u ask me.

I pay $76 a month and I have unlimited data. That's postpaid. And I don't have texting plan.

Green Apple
    Thanks

just called ATT and they have no idea what im talking about. i live in san bernardino california

Banned
    Thanks

[...]AT&T greedy bastards
    Last edited by Orby; 05-24-2013 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Keep it clean...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xhazex9x For This Useful Post:

kosher1 (05-25-2013), primalscream.40 (05-24-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I asked if they support prepaid GoPhone plan for the iphone 5 and hey said only for talk and text, not data.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I think this article or perhaps AT&T that's a little misleading, as one has always been able to get a pre-paid "GO" SIM card and insert it into a GSM iPhone. My dad has been doing this for over a year now.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Speaking from experience, as a current AT&T employee, I read these articles about new plans and releases and AT&T will later introduce this announcement to the employees about a day or two later. So if you contact customer service, they will not know that the iPhone is available as a gophone option. I literally closed the store tonight and have not seen any announcements about this yet, but usually tomorrow or the day after they will make it known company-wide. Just my two cents..

iPhone? More like MyPhone zeppy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xhazex9x View Post
    [...] AT&T greedy ba***ds
    Agreed, We left AT&T after many years mainly due to poor value from their scheming overpriced plans.

Have been with T-Mobile for the last 3 years and very happy with T-Mobile, especially pricing.

Current T-Mobile Value Pricing includes 5 Phones (2 iPhones and 3 HTC OneS Androids):

5 Lines - 1000 minutes/month shared on 5 Lines.
    5 Lines - Unlimited Night/Weekends/Long Distance
    5 Lines - Unlimited Text/Messaging MMS,SMS
    4 Lines - 200MB Data with No Overage Charge.

5 Lines - Total Cost including all Fees & Taxes: $112/month!

That is how I got into jailbreaking, all because I wanted to use my AT&T iPhones on T-Mobile!

Thanks T-Mobile.
    Last edited by Orby; 05-24-2013 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Cleaning the quote...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by znbl View Post
    I think this article or perhaps AT&T that's a little misleading, as one has always been able to get a pre-paid "GO" SIM card and insert it into a GSM iPhone. My dad has been doing this for over a year now.
    you had to insert another imei number and then stick it into the iPhone. Even after doing that, you only get 4G at most. with this plan, u can now get LTE and dont need another imei number.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    MVNO's pricing are still cheaper than Att's GoPhone service. As long as they are around I have no intentions of going to att. I've been with straight talk for a few months now with my iPhone 5 and I have no complaints for $45*month. HSPA+ is enough for me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zeppy View Post
    Agreed, We left AT&T after many years mainly due to poor value from their scheming overpriced plans.

Have been with T-Mobile for the last 3 years and very happy with T-Mobile, especially pricing.

Current T-Mobile Value Pricing includes 5 Phones (2 iPhones and 3 HTC OneS Androids):

5 Lines - 1000 minutes/month shared on 5 Lines.
    5 Lines - Unlimited Night/Weekends/Long Distance
    5 Lines - Unlimited Text/Messaging MMS,SMS
    4 Lines - 200MB Data with No Overage Charge.

5 Lines - Total Cost including all Fees & Taxes: $112/month!

That is how I got into jailbreaking, all because I wanted to use my AT&T iPhones on T-Mobile!

Thanks T-Mobile.
    You forgot to add 2 x $649 and 3 x however much htc costs.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albort View Post
    you had to insert another imei number and then stick it into the iPhone. Even after doing that, you only get 4G at most. with this plan, u can now get LTE and dont need another imei number.
    Not quite the case with the other imei number. All you have to do is purchase a cheap $10 gophone, put the sim card in the iPhone itself (or cut it, depending on the model) and activate it online with I'm fairly sure the sim number. I've been using an iPhone (and subsequent updates of the iPhone) since 2009 with their gophone service. ;P until mine pooped out on me, sadly.

szr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by devteamtools View Post
    Not quite the case with the other imei number. All you have to do is purchase a cheap $10 gophone, put the sim card in the iPhone itself (or cut it, depending on the model) and activate it online with I'm fairly sure the sim number. I've been using an iPhone (and subsequent updates of the iPhone) since 2009 with their gophone service. ;P until mine pooped out on me, sadly.
    Actually it can be much simpler than that. AT&T can sell you a stand alone pre-paid SIM card by itself that's activated on the spot in the store. It's the same card that would be in a "Go Phone" and works as soon as you insert it into your phone of choice. I've helped people with this on many occasions and have seen it work just fine with iPhone 3GS, 4 and even once an iPhone 5.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Just went to ATT here in Cleveland, Ohio. Employees had no idea about this plan. I tried to explain, but they told me it's not possible that ATT would allow iPhone (or any LTE ready device) to jump on pre-paid. Either way, they said that LTE will not work. They did give me a free sim card.

Oh, what I meant to say about that is that ATT doesn't know s...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by devteamtools View Post
    why pay $10 when ATT will just give you a nano sim card for free. :P
    my cousin did this, because all u really wanted was data. i think he was paying like $35 for 2 GB of data or something. i forgot.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Dranon's Avatar
    Thanks

So here it is! ATT is going to force people to pay for data wether they want it or not! THIS SHOULD BE ILLEGAL! Forcing people to pay for something they do not want. Lets not get into the argument about how the phone is useless without data (only need it when I m on wi-fi) etc. etc. I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO PAY FOR DATA IF I DO NOT WANT IT!!! PERIOD! Do not tell me to get a dumb phone and an ipod touch! Why should I have to carry 2 devices! THIS! is where the government should get involved!

szr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dranon View Post
    So here it is! ATT is going to force people to pay for data wether they want it or not! THIS SHOULD BE ILLEGAL! Forcing people to pay for something they do not want. Lets not get into the argument about how the phone is useless without data (only need it when I m on wi-fi) etc. etc. I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO PAY FOR DATA IF I DO NOT WANT IT!!! PERIOD! Do not tell me to get a dumb phone and an ipod touch! Why should I have to carry 2 devices! THIS! is where the government should get involved!
    As I said already, one has been able to get a pre-paid SIM card (which part of the Go-Phone program, where you get just the card) for quite some time now and it is without data, so you're not forced to get data when going this route.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by szr View Post
    As I said already, one has been able to get a pre-paid SIM card (which part of the Go-Phone program, where you get just the card) for quite some time now and it is without data, so you're not forced to get data when going this route.
    Is this before or after the iPhone is accepted into the GoPhone? I know for sure you can get an iPhone on GoPhone without a data plan before but what about now?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albort View Post
    Is this before or after the iPhone is accepted into the GoPhone? I know for sure you can get an iPhone on GoPhone without a data plan before but what about now?
    All US carriers require a data plan with smartphones. AT&T is no exception, iPhone is no exception. Even Verizon Galaxy S4, for example, requires a data plan. Prepaid or postpaid.