+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'Badger' is a Great New Notification-handling Jailbreak Tweak

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default 'Badger' is a Great New Notification-handling Jailbreak Tweak

Those of you looking to enhance the capabilities of your notifications in iOS should check out a new jailbreak tweak called Badger by iOS developers Aehmlo Lxaitn and Brett Schuster.

Badger is unique, because it gives you tons of options right from the home screen whenever you have notifications to deal with. For example, when you receive a text message or iMessage from someone, you can swipe up on the Messages application to reveal a pop-up interface that shows you your notifications for the Messages application. The pop-up interface shows you the content, and time of the notification, including the person that sent it to you.

Badger works with several other applications that handle notifications as well – in fact, just about all of them as long as you have notifications enabled for them!

From the pop-up that shows you your notifications for the application you swipe up on, you can swipe to the right to show several options, such as a quick reply button (pictured below) to quickly respond to a message without having to load up the Messages application, a trash button to delete notifications, and a mark read button to mark the message as read.

Badger adds a preferences pane to the Settings application so that you can configure the tweak’s preferences to your liking:

You’ll be able to enable and disable the tweak on demand, as well as configure an entry animation style and an exit animation style for the pop-up that appears when you swipe up on an application icon.

The entry animation styles you have to pick from include:

• From screen top (default)
    • From screen left
    • From screen right
    • From screen bottom
    • Fade

The exit animation styles you have to pick from include:

• To screen right (default)
    • To screen left
    • To screen top
    • To screen bottom
    • Fade

After you've configured animations, you can also choose to hide or show contact pictures in notifications that involve your contacts, such as incoming text messages or iMessages. You'll also be able to choose how you open the Badger pop-up interface, choose to have multiple ways of opening the interface, switching the action page, and disabling the tweak for individual applications. The methods you have to choose from for opening the Badger pop-up interface include:

• Swipe up on icon (default)
    • Swipe down on icon
    • Double-tap icon
    • Tap app badge

Badger is compatible with several other jailbreak tweaks that enhance iOS, such as Velox, Abstergo, and many others. Importantly, Badger is also compatible with all iOS devices running iOS 5 and later, including iPads, iPhones, and iPod touches. Badger is also themeable for all those iOS modders out there that like making things look different.

If you would like to give Badger a try, it's available in Cydia's BigBoss repository for just 99 cents.

Name: Badger
    Price: 99
    Requirements: iOS 5+
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer(s): Aehmlo Lxaitn and Brett Schuster
    Editor's Rating:  4/5

iPhone? More like MyPhone Ryaninfg's Avatar
    Thanks

It says compatible with velox, but isn't it the same idea?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Need to know if this works for apps in infinifolders! If so, buying!!
    Using and jailbreaking iPhones since 2007.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ryaninfg View Post
    It says compatible with velox, but isn't it the same idea?
    Velox lets you use different application features from the home screen. Badger is a tweak that works with notifications alone. They work together because their core functions are completely different.

My iPhone is a Part of Me slim.jim's Avatar
    Thanks

I installed this but ended up removing it. Notification center is just easier for me to have all my notifications in one place and available anywhere. Contact photos where not showing up for me when I tried it with and SMS either.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to slim.jim For This Useful Post:

vinaygoel2000 (05-22-2013)

Thanks

It does work for apps in folders! But the swipe action to activate does not if you use infinifolders.
    Using and jailbreaking iPhones since 2007.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

it's really the same concept as velox for apps that it doesn't support.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    it's really the same concept as velox for apps that it doesn't support.
    It's really not lol. Let me try and clarify.

Think about what Velox does. Velox allows you to use applications from the home screen without having to open the applications. It includes some notification support for certain applications, but for the most part, the tweak lets you use application functions from the home screen. There are also add-ons for the tweak that let you use more applications from the home screen that aren't supported out of the box.

Badger is a notification-based tweak. It lets you handle notifications from the home screen without opening applications. It doesn't let you use applications from the home screen like Velox will. You can't browse your Facebook feed from the home screen, you can't use your calculator from the home screen, you can't use a stopwatch from the home screen. What you can do though is read and respond to notifications from certain applications.

They work side by side because they do different things.

Thanks

Thanks for the review, guys! The couple of graphical glitches you see above (contact photos, missing action button where that blank spot is by the other action buttons) are being resolved right now!
    Thanks again, guys!
    ~Aehmlo
    Badger for iOS
    Developer

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgunaca View Post
    Need to know if this works for apps in infinifolders! If so, buying!!
    It should!

Thanks

this is the most useless jailbreak in my opinion

12. The Following User Says Thank You to orgy9111 For This Useful Post:

slim.jim (05-23-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone zeppy's Avatar
    Thanks

Lightbulb Useless in your mind...
    Quote Originally Posted by orgy9111 View Post
    Useless for you... yes!

Useful for others... YES!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am downloading it and buying Badger right now...!!!

Thanks so much for developing this awesome tweak, because I have been wanting something like this for so long ever since iOS 5 came out!

Thanks Thanks and more Thanks for Badger!

Please focus on making this app, memory efficient, and lightweight and MANY thanks for the customization in settings!

Please figure out a simple way to allow a user to theme the popup image backgrounds.

If opening the image locally on my computer using iFile for instance, and then editing the image locally and overwriting the original popup image backgrounds will work using iFile, let us know so we can customize our user interface and appearance of your awesome tweak!

Wish you all the best! Aehmlo Lxaitn and Brett Schuster.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ABOSWORTH's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by orgy9111 View Post
    It doesn't really appeal to me either but I'm glad the developer thought of it and made it an option as a lot of people like it. A lot of the tweaks I have may be considered pointless by some but it's all about being able to customize your phone the way you like.