Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T: We Plan to Enable FaceTime Over Cellular for Everyone by This Year's End

Default AT&T: We Plan to Enable FaceTime Over Cellular for Everyone by This Year's End

AT&T in November of last year began enabling FaceTime over cellular for iPhones running iOS 6 that had the ability to connect to 4G LTE, in other words, the iPhone 5. It was supposed to be limited to tiered data plans and shared data plans only.

Monday AT&T has revealed to The Verge that they will be enabling FaceTime over cellular for everyone and anyone, as long as they have an iOS 6 device. The new system will allow all subscribers with iOS 6 devices (because Apple enabled FaceTime over cellular in iOS 6 only) to use FaceTime over cellular whether they’re on 4G LTE, 4G HSPA+, or even 3G. It also will not matter what kind of data plan the subscriber is paying for, whether it's capped or unlimited:

Quote Originally Posted by AT&T
    For video chat apps that come pre-loaded on devices, we currently give all OS and device makers the ability for those apps to work over cellular for our customers who are on Mobile Share or Tiered plans. Apple, Samsung and BlackBerry have chosen to enable this for their pre-loaded video chat apps. And by mid-June, we’ll have enabled those apps over cellular for our unlimited plan customers who have LTE devices from those three manufacturers.

Throughout the second half of this year, we plan to enable pre-loaded video chat apps over cellular for all our customers, regardless of data plan or device; that work is expected to be complete by year end.

Today, all of our customers can use any mobile video chat app that they download from the Internet, such as Skype
    AT&T will begin enabling all pre-loaded video chat applications for multiple platforms over 4G LTE in June of this year, and hopes to have everyone, no matter the plan or cellular speed, on the same page by the end of the year. While FaceTime is the built-in video chatting option for iOS, Android devices and Blackberry devices use a different kind of video chatting software that is also expected to be enabled under the same terms.

Once FaceTime over cellular is enabled for all customers, on all data plan types and cellular speeds, not only will iPhones be able to use the feature over a cellular network, but so will iPads.

Notably, while everyone is still waiting to use FaceTime, users can still download non-pre-loaded video chat applications from the App Store to use, such as Skype, Tango, and others to video chat over their cellular network.

Sources: The Verge
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 05-20-2013 at 10:48 PM.

Why block it in the first place?? AT&T thought they would make people change their data plans to make more money from there customers, but FaceTime is not an option to make me change my data plan. I have unlimited and staying as long as possible!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Slmchrist For This Useful Post:

BennyPR (05-20-2013)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You know why they did it, to get people grandfathered in on unlimited plan to switch.
    Too bad to most people Facetime is not significant enough to switch, I have yet to use Facetime, it end up blowing up in their face because they wasted time and money on this project.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to unison999 For This Useful Post:

BennyPR (05-20-2013)

**** At&t i cant wait to leave them for t-mobile when my plans up

7. The Following User Says Thank You to xhazex9x For This Useful Post:

BennyPR (05-20-2013)

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

I am grandfathered in and never used it or felt the need to use it.

"Always remember your special and unique!"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to thetoothfairy For This Useful Post:

BennyPR (05-20-2013)

I'm granfathered with unlimited data and just checked. Mine is already enabled and turned by it's self.

* turned on...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to boozie For This Useful Post:

BennyPR (05-20-2013)

Thanks

Finally they will stop screwing over their loyal customers who have unlimited data plans.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to slim.jim For This Useful Post:

BennyPR (05-20-2013)

Ditto grandfathered unlimited just checked was activated & already turned on...wow

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Paddycakes For This Useful Post:

BennyPR (05-20-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paddycakes View Post
    Ditto grandfathered unlimited just checked was activated & already turned on...wow
    Yea my wife just checked her iPhone 5 on 6.1.4 and it works with her unlimited data plan. I'm jail broken so I've had it for a long time.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to slim.jim For This Useful Post:

BennyPR (05-20-2013)

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 749 Posts

Wow just checked mine, its on too!!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Carvensno For This Useful Post:

BennyPR (05-20-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Mine is on as well. Woohoo. No need for 3G Unrestrictor any more.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Video Chat has been around for at least a decade, if not more. US Carriers never embraced it unlike the other European/Asian markets. Apple is to blame for even allowing Carriers a way to block this feature. It should work right out the box as long as there's a data connection... Anyways, being grandfathered into AT&T's unlimited data plan is nothing to rave about. They throttle you after 3GBs or so in which the data becomes unusable. T-Mobile offers comparable speeds, often better, for far more less.

What is FaceTime?

They spent so much $ blocking it when Verizon just let customers use it from the start 3G or LTE no matter what plan... Maybe AT&T should quit shafting there customers or they will drop like flies

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iBwizzle View Post
    Anyways, being grandfathered into AT&T's unlimited data plan is nothing to rave about. They throttle you after 3GBs or so in which the data becomes unusable. T-Mobile offers comparable speeds, often better, for far more less.
    That's where you are wrong. Switching to T-Mobile for unlimited data would cost me an extra $65+ a month. I have 4 iPhones all with grandfathered unlimited data, unlimited text and 750 mins a month (we only use about 300 a month because of free mobile to any mobile and have over 6000 rollover minutes) and pay $215 a month. T-Mobile would be $280 a month for unlimited everything before taxes and what not so the actual bill would be upwards of $300. Lets not forget that the iPhone only cost me $200 versus $629. That's a savings of another $1700! Everyone loves to hate AT&T but over my two year contract I will have saved $3500 versus switching to T-Mobile. And, don't try to argue that the T-Mobile iPhone is unlocked because after 18 months AT&T will unlock it free of charge.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to slim.jim For This Useful Post:

vinaygoel2000 (05-21-2013)

Thanks

I'd have to Agree with SlimJim. I live in Alaska and AT&T is thee only Major Cellular Compmay here with our local ones of course, but even after pricing what we have on AT&T verses Verizon & Sprint & T-Mobiles offering it's still Cheaper on AT&T, I'm glad they FINALLY enabled this Option. I for one was not going to switch to a Tiered data plan just to use this option; so I waited signed a Petition to practically force AT&T to enable it. We have 3 iPhone 5s all with UNLIMITED EVERYTHING! & pay a mere $208 a month; now with this enabled its still $208 no one comes CLOSE to what I pay now for Service.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to AKCHRIS For This Useful Post:

vinaygoel2000 (05-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    You know why they did it, to get people grandfathered in on unlimited plan to switch.
    Too bad to most people Facetime is not significant enough to switch, I have yet to use Facetime, it end up blowing up in their face because they wasted time and money on this project.
    I've had my 4S for a year and a half and I have yet to use it as well. I do have tweak from cydia that allows me to use facetime on 3g/4g in case I ever want to though.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iBwizzle View Post
    Video Chat has been around for at least a decade, if not more. US Carriers never embraced it unlike the other European/Asian markets. Apple is to blame for even allowing Carriers a way to block this feature. It should work right out the box as long as there's a data connection... Anyways, being grandfathered into AT&T's unlimited data plan is nothing to rave about. They throttle you after 3GBs or so in which the data becomes unusable. T-Mobile offers comparable speeds, often better, for far more less.
    More less?

You get far less coverage too. AT&T has LTE in some places where T-Mobile only has EDGE. T-Mobile may beat AT&T's HSPA+ in a lot of areas, but AT&T's LTE is a lot faster than T-Mobile's HSPA+. T-Mobile is a great deal if you get the $30 unlimited data plan or if you need truly unlimited data, but if you've got unlimited data with an LTE device on AT&T (5GB unthrottled), it's worth it for some people to stick with AT&T.

Best deal around though IMO is Verizon if you're grandfathered into unlimited and take advantage of that. I've got the best coverage, fast data speeds wherever I go, and never throttled unlimited data. It's worth having to buy my phones off contract because I use 20+GB most months.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Channan View Post
    More less?
    You know more less stuff, like when you want more and your parents won't let you have any because there's only a little bit but you want more, you want more!

Quote Originally Posted by Channan View Post
    Best deal around though IMO is Verizon if you're grandfathered into unlimited and take advantage of that. I've got the best coverage, fast data speeds wherever I go, and never throttled unlimited data. It's worth having to buy my phones off contract because I use 20+GB most months.
    I didn't think Verizon allowed you to keep the unlimited plan if you wanted to upgrade to the iPhone 5. Or is that only if you want to pay the subsidized price for the iPhone 5?
    Last edited by slim.jim; 05-21-2013 at 02:02 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    What is FaceTime?
    That's the name of the new iWatch that is releasing June 31st this year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast