Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Consumers Spending More on iOS Games than on Dedicated Handheld Games

Thanks

Default Consumers Spending More on iOS Games than on Dedicated Handheld Games

According to a new report, revenue from gaming on iOS and Android devices is at three times the size of revenue on dedicated portable gaming consoles. This shows that the trend that’s seen in portable gaming with devices such as Apple’s iPhone continues.

In the first quarter of 2013, revenues for iOS gaming rose significantly while revenues for dedicated portable consoles made by Nintendo and Sony dropped due to seasonal effects. The information was discovered in a recently published study by IDC and App Annie. Apple’s iOS led in overall gaming revenue generation for the quarter as they outpaced Google’s Android, as it already does in terms of overall revenue. Google’s Play Store continued to see its revenues grow and it is currently expected that Google Play will move ahead with gaming-optimized handhelds in terms of revenue generation sometime in the second quarter.

The published study found that gaming still forms the foundation for both app stores. Games accounted for roughly 40% of all downloads in both the App Store and in Google Play, up slightly from last quarter. The report has games making up roughly 70% of iOS App Store spending and more than 80% of Google Play spending as well. The findings put relief in the growing importance of mobile devices in the gaming segment, which is a trend that has the traditional gaming companies scrambling to adjust. The emergence of Apple’s iPhone on the gaming scene sparked an exodus of casual gamers from the dedicated portable console market, as those consumers found that one device could handle both their gaming and communication needs.

Sony and Nintendo have been looking to retool operations in response to the industry trends. Sony recently cut the price of its PlayStation Vita portable console in the hopes that doing so would attract more buyers. The electronics giant also courted developers for the PS Vita by offering free developer tools. Nintendo seems to have fared better in the portable segment after cutting the price on its 3DS console. The shift toward devices like Apple’s iPad has meant trouble for Nintendo’s new Wii U console. In response, the company has been trying to court developers in hopes that they will bring their best-selling smartphone games to the touch-capable Wii U.

We’ll have to wait and see if the efforts pay off.

Source: App Annie (blog)

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Thanks to the freemium games.
    Nobody in their right mind would spend $3000 on games for dedicated handheld system during a vacation, but someone did with the freemium games on iOS and not just once... So it is not hard to believe what this article claims is true. But gaming on dedicated system is a hell of a lot better than iOS games, better control better choices as well.

Everyone will buy an odd game for their smartphone, I can't see a lot of older folk buying a dedicated handheld game machine

Considering how fruit ninja cost $.99 and Super Mario 3D land cost $39.99 more people will buy fruit ninja...

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd rather buy 60 games for my iPad and get an average experience rather than buying 1 PS3 game and get an awesome experience, for the little amount of time I spend playing games. Maybe about an hour a week.

Its a bit hard to buy games that dont exist. I've got everything I want for the Vita and there is nothing else to buy for it till they finally release them later in the year.
    Same goes for the WiiU and 3DS. Still waiting for more games to get released on them too.

IOS releases a new game a minute and they are usually crap games thats why more games are getting sold on IOS.

iPhone? More like MyPhone 5kylar's Avatar
    Thanks

It's also a lot more convenient in this day in age to have any portable games on your phone, rather then dragging a separate system around everywhere you roam. I just have one of the Gamebox apps on my phone and I only ever play it on the go.
    iPhone 5c - iOS 7.0.4 Jailbroken

You're telling me someone who has constant access to a game on there phone plays it more then someone who doesn't carry around a Nintendo DS constantly? Wow!