Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Pentagon Finally Grants Security Clearance to iOS 6

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Pentagon Finally Grants Security Clearance to iOS 6

Following months of rigorous review and testing, the Pentagon finally awarded security clearance to Apple's iPhone and iPad on Friday. Specifically, the Defense Information Systems Agency confirmed the approval of the Apple iOS 6 Security Technical Implementation Guide (STIG).

Approval of the STIG means that government-issued iOS 6 mobile devices are approved for use when connecting to DOD networks within current mobility pilots or the future mobile device management framework.

The Defense Department presently has more than 600,000 mobile devices (470,000 BlackBerrys, 41,000 Apple products and another 8,700 devices powered by Android), according to estimates from Bloomberg.

News of the Pentagon's security clearance for iOS 6 comes on the same day that the U.S. Force revealed that its recent procurement of 18,000 iPads will save the military branch an estimated $50 million over the next ten years.

To read the full announcement from the U.S. Defense Information Systems Agency this morning, click here.

Source: DISA

Just in time for the release of iOS 7

Quote Originally Posted by rickuk View Post
    Just in time for the release of iOS 7
    That's too funny but so true.

iPhone? More like MyPhone 5kylar's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm surprised they have any Androids in service. Talk about security holes ;P
    iPhone 5c - iOS 7.0.4 Jailbroken

Thanks

This just shows how much our government wastes. How could spending 9mil on tablets save money?

This actually doesn't surprise me. We have a huge deficit and they drop millions on iPads...Kinda like obamacare. Screw the taxpayers.

It could be the get more save from this step

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    This just shows how much our government wastes. How could spending 9mil on tablets save money?
    So just because you don't know how spending 9 mil saves money, you assumed that its wasting money?

One example of savings could be that now they won't have to print pounds and pounds of manuals and other media again and again. Saves paper, saves time, etc. This is just one small example. I'm sure there are tons of other savings.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to vinaygoel2000 For This Useful Post:

5kylar (05-20-2013)