+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The Popularity of the iPhone Among Facebook Staff May Have Caused Home's Poor Launch

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default The Popularity of the iPhone Among Facebook Staff May Have Caused Home's Poor Launch

The launch of Facebook’s Home layer on Android appears to have been a flop, with relatively low installation rates and even lower user ratings on Google Play thus far. Some of the observers are speculating that the blame is attributed toward an unlikely candidate: Apple’s iPhone.

The popularity of Apple’s iPhone among Facebook’s personnel is one big reason the social network’s power grab on the Android platform has been lackluster according to TechCrunch. It’s being presumed that Facebook simply doesn’t have enough dedicated Android users to know what works best on Google’s mobile operating system. Facebook employees reportedly admitted that many of the testers for Home were normally iPhone users and therefore were unable to see anything wrong with the changes Home made to a user’s Android handset. These included changes like doing away with widgets, removing the dock for often-used apps, and keeping users from creating app folders.

The problem can be attributed in some degree toward the fact that the iPhone is much more popular within Facebook’s ranks than Android on the whole. The Facebook app for iOS is more polished, especially in the tablet front, than its Android counterpart as well. Last year, the social network began an effort to bring its Android app up to par with its iOS counterpart. The company began requiring app developers to carry Android phones and to use Facebook’s Android app in order to see what was wrong with it and how to fix it.

As of right now, Facebook executives have acknowledged their missteps in creating Home and the company is already readying a new version of the Android skin that will address many of the user complaints. Users apparently like Cover Feed and Chat Heads, with the app typically leading to users spending an additional 25% more time on Facebook. The new version though, will bring back the dock for most used apps and present users with a walkthrough when they first start the app up.

Facebook home debuted to much fanfare and attention but just one month later the Facebook-themed android skin has seen little traction among the large U.S. Android install base. Officially made available for six Android handsets, Home, according to Google Play, has only seen between a million and five million downloads, with Facebook and Facebook Messenger both having between 100 million and 500 million installs. The HTC First, which was known as the “Facebook Phone” has seen sluggish sales since debuting alongside Home as well. Sources were claiming that the First has moved fewer than 15,000 units in over a month and that AT&T is discontinuing the device after having it dropped to $0.99 from $99.

Source: TechCrunch

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    So they have been working on this piece of junk the whole time instead of trying to fix the problems with the facebook app crashing all the time on iOS devices?

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,595 Times in 660 Posts

LOL blame it on employees for having iPhones??? Good one!! try again? How about no one wants that crap running there phone or on it LOL. NO ONE wants to know what everyone else is doing 24/7 and considering that alot of people have 500-1000 and more friends??? They have to keep in on the charger because the phone would be going off every min of the day....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Carvensno For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (05-16-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

I think that they should just make it an official JailBreak tweak and advertise for JailBreakers' rights to see how far they can get. Lol.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PokemonDesigner For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (05-16-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    LOL blame it on employees for having iPhones??? Good one!! try again? How about no one wants that crap running there phone or on it LOL. NO ONE wants to know what everyone else is doing 24/7 and considering that alot of people have 500-1000 and more friends??? They have to keep in on the charger because the phone would be going off every min of the day....

Agreed. Seeing I tried it on my play phone (optimus G), and my friend having on his note. Its very awkward for us when in public; people see the full screen of someone random face, or whatever pictures of people that I barely know or care about. Even if I delete some of the not so close people on facebook it seems it'll constantly show something I dont care about. And people do ask, oh what that? Why is that your background.. and its really not my background just the facebook "home".

For the iOS side of things, I love the messaging bubbles in facebook. So I do wish that would be natively integrated into the OS. but for now the tweak that lets you have the bubbles anywhere works great. Totally forgot what it was called.

My iPhone is a Part of Me keenpois0n's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    I think that they should just make it an official JailBreak tweak and advertise for JailBreakers' rights to see how far they can get. Lol.
    as cool as that would be, if it happened apple would pressure facebook to remove it like they did to Toyota when they released an official theme on cydia for one of their new cars

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keenpois0n View Post
    as cool as that would be, if it happened apple would pressure facebook to remove it like they did to Toyota when they released an official theme on cydia for one of their new cars
    Facebook is becoming more important now though, if apple didn't have Facebook integrated into iOS, there would be a revolt. If your company doesn't have at least something to do with Facebook these days, you're going to fall fast. Facebook could do whatever they want because they know that they have apple by the balls right now. Facebook probably wouldn't even be in iOS if the public didn't require it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone 8lias's Avatar
    Thanks

Zuk's Reality Distortion Field, thinking this is how people want to use their smartphone? Reality Zuk, I like playing with Facebook, it's fun, it's NOT my life. It's like starting the Mac with Dashboards, it's a sidekick, that's not what I want my Desktop to look like. So please, get another hobby.

Banned
    Thanks

They really think its the lack of Android devices owned by staff to be its downfall and not the fact nobody wants it?

If Facebook wasn't so faulty and unstable more people might want it but until they fix the current bugs and there are many nobody will be interested in making their whole device as buggy as the app.

I just installed it and its not that good. If your on Facebook all the time it might be useful but thats about it. All it does is change your background to Facebook posts. If the post is text the background is that persons cover photo.
    I'm not on Facebook that often so it doesn't interest me.

It also looks cheap and basic. If it took them a year to make then they had a lot of wasted time and they really need to sack the lot of them. Its something someone would've thought up over a weekend and put together during the week.
    If I knew how to make my own app I could do the same thing in a week and make it awesome the next week. This is just pathetic, no wonder its not doing well.
    I think they would've done better into integrating it into the Facebook app as a full screen mode. That way it could also be on the iPhone and Android and even the PC.
    Last edited by b1997469; 05-16-2013 at 04:03 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

The modmyi staff have been posting throughout the week that apple is going down hill and android has the majority of the market... This has nothing to do with Facebook staff favoring iPhones lol

FLOP!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,303 Times in 1,609 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    Facebook is becoming more important now though, if apple didn't have Facebook integrated into iOS, there would be a revolt. If your company doesn't have at least something to do with Facebook these days, you're going to fall fast. Facebook could do whatever they want because they know that they have apple by the balls right now. Facebook probably wouldn't even be in iOS if the public didn't require it.
    FB is crap! #DownfallOfSociety
    Twitter Id: @Jato_BZ
    Ask questions here or there, or follow/preview my theme build process...something different

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jato_BZ View Post
    I agree...

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jato_BZ View Post
    But what I said is true...