Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Confirms 900 Million Android Device Activations

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Google Confirms 900 Million Android Device Activations

As you may have guessed in light of the flurry of Google-related headlines on MMi today and elsewhere in the tech news space, Google's sixth annual developers conference kicked off today in San Francisco.

During the opening festivities of Google I/O, Sundar Pichai, senior vice president of Chrome and Apps at Google, dropped an Android-related bombshell: more than 900 million Android devices have now been activated. Not bad considering that this number stood at 400 million just one year ago, and 100 million the year before that.

“People are adopting these devices at an amazing pace,” Pichai revealed, reminding everyone that Android is still the No. 1 operating system for smartphones in the world. “When you look at all of these computing devices, it’s a multi-screen world … they have sensors, they can look, they can feel.”

Incredibly, Google also confirmed today that 48 billion Android apps have now been downloaded. As Apple continues its high-profile countdown to 50 billion app downloads, it likely won't be longbefore Android catches and surpasses Apple's once dominant app download achievements.

Source: NY Daily News

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,730 Times in 741 Posts

Big whoop???? With every Tom, Harry, and Sally company making 5 models each? flooding the market of course they could have 900 million devices LOL. An as far as app go? Yeah how many of those app are freebee crap apps??? with malware??? LMAO

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Carvensno For This Useful Post:

celeron (05-15-2013)

I'd like to see the galaxy s4 vs iPhone 5 activations, or better yet note 2 vs iPhone 5 as they were both released around the same period.

900 million! HOLY! and it isn't even July yet. Plus the 2013 shopping season is yet to come. Anyone else sees 2 billion in 2013? Oh, and no wonder Saurik created Mobile Substrate (and winterboard) for Android. He sees the writing on the wall!!
    Last edited by Lohand; 05-15-2013 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohand View Post
    900 million! HOLY! and it isn't even July yet. Plus the 2013 shopping season is yet to come. Anyone else sees 2 billion in 2013? Oh, and no wonder Saurik created Mobile Substrate (and winterboard) for Android. He sees the writing on the wall!!
    Android is the future for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JedixJarf View Post
    Android is the future for sure.
    if you like android so much, why are you on an apple iphone forum?

There more google phone out there then iphone that's why those # are high

Quote Originally Posted by BoostedEvoIX View Post
    I have an iPad? Idk, I have been hanging around this forum since 07 so it would be odd to stop bringing up the site now

Quote Originally Posted by BoostedEvoIX View Post
    Because its a fact that android is the future, plain and simple.

How many deactivations and returns?

Quote Originally Posted by mlee19841 View Post
    Lol would love to see those numbers

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JedixJarf View Post
    I have an iPad?
    How would I know. U tell me.

The best way to predict the future is to create it. Did you know the iPad was invented before the iPhone? Who the hell are we to predict what's the future going to be? I do hope that Apple continue to create the best stuff and not more stuff.

is that since the beginning of Android? How many of those devices are still in use? The reason there are so many is because Android is fast replacing the feature phone market with free pieces of crap whose users don't buy apps and don't even know what Android is. The differential between paid Android apps and paid iPhone apps being downloaded is still huge. Not to mention mobile safari vs everybody else's browser. iPhone users buy more apps, browse the web more, and are just plain better looking

I agree to this, companies, are releasing so many new Android models , this explains the massive figure. Well, when it comes to Apps, Apple is ahead....it has 50 billion apps downloaded as a single company, if we were to compare it with the multiple companies using Android together, that make it 48 billion.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mlee19841 View Post
    some iDiot said the same thing last year. 12 months later the number of activations has nearly doubled. so you do the math. 100, 500 and now 900 million. do you see any indication of massive returns?

Quote Originally Posted by claustin View Post
    is that since the beginning of Android? How many of those devices are still in use? The reason there are so many is because Android is fast replacing the feature phone market with free pieces of crap whose users don't buy apps and don't even know what Android is. The differential between paid Android apps and paid iPhone apps being downloaded is still huge. Not to mention mobile safari vs everybody else's browser. iPhone users buy more apps, browse the web more, and are just plain better looking
    NO, the reason there are so many Android devices is because people wanted dual core processors when iPhones only had one. the people wanted quad core processors and apple currently has none. people wanted screens larger than 3.5" and the last iPhone has finally bumped up to 4" people wanted HD displays, people wanted 5.1 and now 7.1 surround sound. people wanted expandable memory, people wanted widgets, people wanted customization.

people most of all wanted very very simple things like multitasking, flash support, the ability to add attachments to emails and text messaging.
    Last edited by jOnGarrett; 05-16-2013 at 03:26 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    some iDiot said the same thing last year. 12 months later the number of activations has nearly doubled. so you do the math. 100, 500 and now 900 million. do you see any indication of massive returns?

NO, the reason there are so many Android devices is because people wanted dual core processors when iPhones only had one. the people wanted quad core processors and apple currently has none. people wanted screens larger than 3.5" and the last iPhone has finally bumped up to 4" people wanted HD displays, people wanted 5.1 and now 7.1 surround sound. people wanted expandable memory, people wanted widgets, people wanted customization.

people most of all wanted very very simple things like multitasking, flash support, the ability to add attachments to emails and text messaging.
    No. It's because I had tilapia and rice for dinner last night.

Dude! Did you even read the post before responding to it? Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil Gorwani View Post
    I agree to this, companies, are releasing so many new Android models , this explains the massive figure. Well, when it comes to Apps, Apple is ahead....it has 50 billion apps downloaded as a single company, if we were to compare it with the multiple companies using Android together, that make it 48 billion.
    II imagine that 48 billion is just from the Google Play store, which is just one place (like the app store) to download from. It doesn't take in to account all the other places you can download from, like amazon, side loading directly from websites, OEMs own app stores. The number is probably far greater if all those were taken into account.

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post

You do realize flash is basically dead right...? Even android has moved on to HTML 5... Besides that I also wanted a phone that won't lose support 4 months after release. And that won't take me 6 months to get a FW update pushed. I also want a phone that does have half the listed memory, with an SD Slot that I can't store apps to... I also want a phone that doesn't crash the OS because I open up a 3rd party App, I also want a phone that doesn't have apps specifically designed to infect phones with malware. See everybody can rant on about phones. Now can we get back on topic please?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to fanboyfanboy For This Useful Post:

vinaygoel2000 (05-16-2013)