+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Serious Claims of iPhone Interference in 2011 Airplane Incident

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
It isn't a big deal. The question isn't is it a big deal to turn off your phone. The question is, is there any science out there that says the
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

It isn't a big deal.

The question isn't is it a big deal to turn off your phone. The question is, is there any science out there that says the reason to turn them off is the plane will crash and everyone will die if you leave it on, which there isn't.

The rules are, turn off your phone, you should follow the rule or you will get in trouble.

The rule was made a long time ago, and probably had to do with wanting people to pay attention to the announcements, same reason they make everyone turn off all electronics.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Albort View Post
    Considered that some airlines has converted their big paper manual for flight checks to iPads(approved by faa), i dont see any harm in having our devices on during take off and landing. Your holding the passengers on a double standard!

besides, mythbusters already proved that it doesnt harm anything... i bet its something else that was disrupting...
    I agree ..

Thanks

If only there was something like oh I don't know, maybe an airplane mode?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Some mud wasps making a nest inside a pitot tube, a small mis-calculation in take-off weight, a couple of extra loops in a holding pattern, a child inadvertently pushing a button during a tour of the cockpit - none of these were a big deal, yet they all led to fatal crashes. Anything that requires the attention and intervention of a pilot creates a risk. Why take that risk?

Please folks - just put your devices in airplane mode. If your SMS is that important, take the train instead.

Thanks

Why take the risk of driving when there are people texting while they drive? Again people loved to get riled up out of fear and it prevents them from listening to facts.
    I'd like to see a link to the story of a crash resulting from a child pressing buttons.

Thanks

It is about the airlines nickel and diming us to death. If the FAA allows phones in flight, then there is one less revenue stream for the airlines. Airplanes fly through cell phone signals from both cell phone and the towers. Planes go through the signals while on the ground, during takeoff, and while landing. Yet they fly fine. There is not a single proven instance of a cell phone interfering with a plane. It is all about loss of $$$$.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Villebilly View Post
    I'd like to see a link to the story of a crash resulting from a child pressing buttons.
    Here you go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroflot_Flight_593

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 778 Posts

OH-MY-GOODNESS!?!?

Stop your arguing! The rule is to turn it off so turn it off. I could understand if the rule was 'hurting' you in some way but it's not.

Or are you all so 'cool' that you have to buck every little part of 'the system' regarding every little tiny thing?!?! That just makes you look like children.

Choose your battles wisely and this isn't one of them...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I NEVER, yes NEVER turn off any of my electronic devices..... Don't even put my phone on airplane mode. Never had an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by csglinux View Post
    Some mud wasps making a nest inside a pitot tube, a small mis-calculation in take-off weight, a couple of extra loops in a holding pattern, a child inadvertently pushing a button during a tour of the cockpit - none of these were a big deal, yet they all led to fatal crashes. Anything that requires the attention and intervention of a pilot creates a risk. Why take that risk?

Please folks - just put your devices in airplane mode. If your SMS is that important, take the train instead.
    Next time I fly I'll have every one of my phones blazing away..... I hope I'm on your flight.
    Last edited by rkswat; 05-16-2013 at 07:11 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Sorry, that crash was a result of pilot stupidity. An electronic device being active does not equal letting your kid up in the cockpit to play with controls of the plane.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by midnyt View Post
    Sorry, that crash was a result of pilot stupidity. An electronic device being active does not equal letting your kid up in the cockpit to play with controls of the plane.
    The pilot wasn't stupid; he just wasn't extensively trained on the A310. Are you sure you've never been on a flight where the pilot's training might have been slightly lacking, or the pilot might have been tired or even intoxicated? Pilots are humans and humans make mistakes. Most air crashes are the result of something small + pilot "error". A radio transmitter quite possibly equals something small. A radio transmitter + faulty shielding definitely equals something small. But I realize I'm in the minority here, so you folks go ahead and drain your batteries with your cellular radios mid-Atlantic for no good reason.

Thank goodness for Darwin...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The pilot wasn't stupid; he just wasn't extensively trained on the A310. Are you sure you've never been on a flight where the pilot's training might have been slightly lacking, or the pilot might have been tired or even intoxicated? Pilots are humans and humans make mistakes. Most air crashes are the result of something small + pilot "error". A radio transmitter quite possibly equals something small. A radio transmitter + faulty shielding definitely equals something small. But I realize I'm in the minority here, so you folks go ahead and drain your batteries with your cellular radios mid-Atlantic for no good reason.

Thank goodness for Darwin...
    It's not his training or lack of that is the issue. it's the fact that he thought it would be a good idea to put his kids in the seat and let them "pretend" to fly the plane (that he was not fully familiar with) in the first place. that is the judgement error that could have prevented this tragedy. You want to let you kid pretend to fly the plane? fine, do it with your own plane, not the one i'm traveling on as your passenger.

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,332 Times in 5,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UrghArgh View Post
    The fact that you call it the "aircraft industry" indicates otherwise.
    Yeah, the fact that I design aircraft engine components doesn't really qualify as the aircraft industry. I'll keep you in mind the next time I am determining just how many cooling holes should be on the leading edge of a stage 1 HPT nozzle segment. You wanna test me bro, just ask away!

I've been on thousands of flights all with my phone on, never a problem.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

ABOSWORTH (05-17-2013)

Thanks

The point of turning your phone off isn't because it causes interference. I can assure you that on every flight, half of the passengers don't do it. If it was actually endangering the aircraft, they would confiscate the phones during boarding.

The main reason is so that you would at lease try to pay attention to the flight attendants instructions AND not be bothering anyone (because you're talking on your phone) who is trying to listen in. Or heck, just plain bothering people. I honestly really do hate people talking loudly (because they think the other person on the other side can't hear you) on their phones in public places. Really, really annoying.

Or just get something like this as backup...

+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123