+ Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Report: Apple's Smartphone Market Share is 'Dead in The Water'

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by LUFT5_THOR The iPhone was innovative when it first appeared but has been surpassed by many other handsets both in quality and features. I have owned an HTC
    Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,615 Times in 672 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LUFT5_THOR View Post
    The iPhone was innovative when it first appeared but has been surpassed by many other handsets both in quality and features. I have owned an HTC One X and Lumia 920 which both pack more features and better cameras. The one thing they lack is the AppStore. IMHO customer demand will eventually wake apple to their senses and a massive overhaul will happen. Every so many years companies need to rethink their products to stay innovative. Every company submits in the end or meets their end.
    Thats why alot of people are keeping there fingers cross that with Jon Ivie in the driver and Scott gone? The changes can and hopefully be made now that Scott is gone. From reading on Scott? sounded like he was kinda like holding things back rather trying to move ahead on stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Rcworship View Post
    So it turns out Suzuki sold 1896 cars last year while Ferrari sold only 523. That's a 78.3% market share holding by Suzuki. Clearly Ferrari needs to do something quick...
    Love your quote man!! Ya Ferrai better start making a faster more HP motor and change the looks of the car LOL And quit painting there cars red, that color is really outdated now. LOL

Banned
    Thanks

The problem with the iPhone is its NOT jailbroken from the start. The Android can do just about everything a jailbroken iPhone can do so when they release a IOS thats not able to be jailbroken or has to be jailbroken then Android looks so much better as it does more stock than any iPhone can do stock.
    If Apple want the iPhone to make it to iPhone 7 then remove the need for it to be jailbroken and it will get there. if its locked down even tighter and harder to jailbreak then its their own fault and the Android will win.

The only reason why I still have an iPhone is because I dont make enough money to buy a new phone and my iPhone 4 on IOS 5.1.1 jailbroken is going well. As soon as I need to update to IOS6 is the day I really look to update to Android. I'm just about there as the last few app updates are IOS6 updates so app users are forcing me to IOS6 and I hate IOS6. On my iPhone4 its so slow and sluggish its really bad for it.

So it all comes down to Apple and how much they want to win the smart phone war. If they open it up and remove the need to jailbreak then it will stay for another generation at least. If its locked down tighter than IOS6 then I doubt it'll make it to iPhone 7

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,615 Times in 672 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by b1997469 View Post
    The problem with the iPhone is its NOT jailbroken from the start. The Android can do just about everything a jailbroken iPhone can do so when they release a IOS thats not able to be jailbroken or has to be jailbroken then Android looks so much better as it does more stock than any iPhone can do stock.
    If Apple want the iPhone to make it to iPhone 7 then remove the need for it to be jailbroken and it will get there. if its locked down even tighter and harder to jailbreak then its their own fault and the Android will win.

The only reason why I still have an iPhone is because I dont make enough money to buy a new phone and my iPhone 4 on IOS 5.1.1 jailbroken is going well. As soon as I need to update to IOS6 is the day I really look to update to Android. I'm just about there as the last few app updates are IOS6 updates so app users are forcing me to IOS6 and I hate IOS6. On my iPhone4 its so slow and sluggish its really bad for it.

So it all comes down to Apple and how much they want to win the smart phone war. If they open it up and remove the need to jailbreak then it will stay for another generation at least. If its locked down tighter than IOS6 then I doubt it'll make it to iPhone 7
    I hear ya man and agree. Hell i was happy and surprised when they opened up the custom sounds in iOS 5 beta3 i think it was. I was like man this is awesome! LOL I was hoping for more stuff to open up when iOS6 came along but nothing happened.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by b1997469 View Post
    The problem with the iPhone is its NOT jailbroken from the start. The Android can do just about everything a jailbroken iPhone can do
    If handsets running on Android are able to do 'just about everything' 'from the start' why does rooting even exist? Oh that's right, because its locked down and you need to root/jailbreak to get the functionality you desire. This is the oldest and worst argument that Android fans put up.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to slickric For This Useful Post:

hemptation (05-15-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post

Love your quote man!! Ya Ferrai better start making a faster more HP motor and change the looks of the car LOL And quit painting there cars red, that color is really outdated now. LOL
    Ferrari also needs to make a station wagon because I WANT A BIGGER SCREEN ... ER ... CAR.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

Wait... Are you suggesting that apple actually needs to "think differently"? That is sacrilege good sir. They haven't done that since they started their company and I highly doubt that they ever will again.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slickric View Post
    If handsets running on Android are able to do 'just about everything' 'from the start' why does rooting even exist? Oh that's right, because its locked down and you need to root/jailbreak to get the functionality you desire. This is the oldest and worst argument that Android fans put up.
    I think you've not realised what "Rooting" is??

An Android phone can do most Jailbreak things stock. You only need to root to be able to access the deep system files that run the OS. It is basically required for flashing new firmware.

You can't flash new (or custom) firmware on an iPhone even when you're Jailbroken.

No I'm not an Android fanboy, I'm running Jailbroken iOS 6.1.1 at the moment on an iPhone 5. It's good but I understand why people complain; mainly cause I have to wait for a confirmed Jailbreak release before upgrading my phone. The iPhone is just too restrictive and boring without it!

Master Theme Creator (aka Bluemetal) Blue's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,186 Times in 3,333 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper488 View Post
    I absolutely hate Androids software. I don't care how great the phone is, the software is horrid to work with.

It's just like the example of:

Viper which makes 600 HP and will do the 1/4 in 11.8 sec
    Eclipse which was beefed up to make 900 HP and does the 1/4 in 10.2 sec
    Which one would you want in your garage?
    Definitly: A Porsche

Banned
    Thanks

Do you have an Android? Do you use an Android?
    I do and I can do just about everything a jailbroken iPad can do and more stock. There is only 1 thing I need to root it for. With the iPad I need to jailbreak it to do what I want with it.

its like this;
    iPhone 10% available, jailbreak = 100%
    Android 90% available, root = 100%
    THATS the difference between Android and IOS. You can do just about everything a jailbroken IOS device can do without rooting your Android.

And my Android is a Galaxy Tab 7.7 Wifi tablet. I cant use it as a phone as its not 3G its Wifi only. If it did have 3G I would use it instead of my iPhone as its so much better. Yea, at 7.7 inch its too big for a phone but you can connect a bluetooth headset to it and use it that way.
    Try using a iPad as a phone with bluetooth headset... OH, thats right you cant. Another thing Android is better.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This post is about market share...

The car analogy I like. Every year more drivers are added to the roads thus more cars on the roads. But the vast majority of car increase is on cheaper models while new Ferraris, Porsches, and BMWs increase very little without adding new product lines (like a cheaper iphone or iPad mini). Thus these higher end cars continually lose market share when compared to all cars. Thus the only valid way to compare them is to other high end or sports cars. That is not what is being done here. Plus it doesn't take it into account the many people entering the smartphone market that would rather have a used iPhone 4 than a new Android product - everyone knows how in demand used Apple devices are.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

if handsets running on android are able to do 'just about everything' 'from the start' why does rooting even exist? Oh that's right, because its locked down and you need to root/jailbreak to get the functionality you desire. This is the oldest and worst argument that android fans put up.
    thank you!!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjh View Post
    That was a really terrible explanation.
    Yeah I understood his original post but that analogy was just really bad.

How is it a bad argument? Android can do so many things without root that an iPhone requires jailbreaking to do.

And on an Android phone, you can flash custom ROMs to update and stay rooted. You only have to root once. You can't update an iPhone without losing your jailbreak and if you do, you're stuck waiting sometimes months for someone to finally release a new jailbreak tool. A lot of Android phones get rooted before they're even released.
    Last edited by Channan; 05-15-2013 at 09:45 AM.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

Thanks

I had the iPhones (2G*, 3G, 3GS, 4*) from 2007 to 2010. I left for Apple for three reasons. The first reason being, competition has surpassed Apple. iOS updates consisted of old jailbreak tweaks I used for months already. Secondly, the iPhone became officially became a fad in 2009. Seriously, who camps out for something that isn't limited quantity? A blind follower? A person with low self-esteem to claim bragging rights of they had it first? Last but not least, Carriers just decided to faded out unlimited data in attempts to stick it to the average consumers. Keep in mind, AT&T has never subsidize the iPhone for me. I've always paid full retail so I made sure I used the iPhone to its fully capabilities. Yes, I was one of the top %5 who gave the network a beating. Eventually I got throttled to the point where the phone was unusable. Goodbye iPhone.

I found a loophole to get unlimited un-throttled data through the dumbphone data plan. The catch was I use unlocked Carrier unbranded International phones as the IMEI's went infected. After the 2009 IMEI sweep iPhones and Carrier branded phones are instantly flagged causing AT&T to switch me to a tiered data plan. Hence, I decided to for unpopular international phones such as the Nokia N9, Nokia E6, and Meizu MX 4-Core to name a few. I specifically went for the phones that contained a penta-band radio capable of running on either AT&T or T-Mobile GSM Networks. I thugged it out with AT&T before switching over to T-Mobile. I pay a flat fee of $70 dollars for unlimited EVERYTHING!!!

The End.

Note: The "*" indicates an innovative device at the time. The others are slight renovations aka catch up devices.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

So it turns out Suzuki sold 1896 cars last year while Ferrari sold only 523. That's a 78.3% market share holding by Suzuki. Clearly Ferrari needs to do something quick...
    I know you are trying to exaggerate for effect, but the difference between Android and iOS is not that much. I'd swap my iPhone 5 out for S4 right now because it is better than iPhone 5.
    At most iOS devices is BMW and Android devices is VW/Audi, but lets not forget VW owns Bugatti Veyron.
    Last edited by unison999; 05-15-2013 at 10:56 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    I know you are trying to exaggerate for effect, but the difference between Android and iOS is not that much. I'd swap my iPhone 5 out for S4 right now because it is better than iPhone 5.
    At most iOS devices is BMW and Android devices is VW/Audi, but lets not forget VW owns Bugatti Veyron.
    It's called hyperbole. True, it's not a perfect example, but the comparison is not OS, it's hardware. Right to the basics, iPhone 5 has a build and design quality that far outweighs any of samsung's offerings. Sure they (samsung) have cute little niche capabilities, but honestly, I'd venture to say that the vast majority of people will never use most of the new features. Granted, the technology is inspiring, but for me, after having only had second hand iPhones that I had to fix to use, and always jailbroken, then finally getting a brand new iPhone 5 with no jailbreak, I was happy as a clam! Of course, once the jailbreak came out, I utilized it!

Samsung phones work, but they are plastic and feel cheap. At least they are copying apple (again) and adding some steal around the perimeter to "fancy it up" some. Still, my iPhone 5 (and ipad mini) have billet aluminum cases. Samsung?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tperry's Avatar
    Thanks

Because a lot of people want to run a vanilla version of the OS, others want to overclock or underclock the CPU or voltage. Those are the main reasons for me.

Quote Originally Posted by lokenj88 View Post
    If you want a bigger screen, but an iPad mini. A phone shouldn't double as a tablet.
    Funny. Can you explain how to use the mini to make native voice calls on Verizon (no VOIP tech).
    Last edited by Tperry; 05-15-2013 at 01:11 PM.
    Not a waterboy for Android OR Apple.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

It's called hyperbole. True, it's not a perfect example, but the comparison is not OS, it's hardware. Right to the basics, iPhone 5 has a build and design quality that far outweighs any of samsung's offerings. Sure they (samsung) have cute little niche capabilities, but honestly, I'd venture to say that the vast majority of people will never use most of the new features. Granted, the technology is inspiring, but for me, after having only had second hand iPhones that I had to fix to use, and always jailbroken, then finally getting a brand new iPhone 5 with no jailbreak, I was happy as a clam! Of course, once the jailbreak came out, I utilized it!

Samsung phones work, but they are plastic and feel cheap. At least they are copying apple (again) and adding some steal around the perimeter to "fancy it up" some. Still, my iPhone 5 (and ipad mini) have billet aluminum cases. Samsung?
    Just so you know Ferarri built quality is not as good as you think.
    One of my family member owns one, breaks down often. It goes to and stay in the shop for a long time, and it is expensive to maintain. He needs a beater (BMW) in case Ferarri is in the shop which is very often. Average cost for simple maintenance is $5,000. If you want an example of Ferarri "quality", before track event he had the car inspected and it was in "perfect working condition" (requirement for tracking a car). At the event on the 3rd lap something actually fell off the car, the car has to be towed to a shop specialize in Ferarri because normal garage can not get the replacement part and their insurance to not cover expensive cars like this.

If you must compare Ferarri vs whatever you compare to the performance, which the S4 out perform iOS iPhone 5 period. And I've held the S4 it is built very well, I prefer it over iPhone 5 with glass in front and back that cracks easily. I have to fix iPhone cracked screen/back plate numerous times versus I only have to fix an HTC (Android device) twice. Before you ask I do not fix electronics for a living, I am just handy and I fix things for my company's hardware on my free time.
    Last edited by unison999; 05-15-2013 at 02:27 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    If you must compare Ferarri vs whatever you compare to the performance, which the S4 out perform iOS iPhone 5 period. And I've held the S4 it is built very well, I prefer it over iPhone 5 with glass in front and back that cracks easily. I have to fix iPhone cracked screen/back plate numerous times versus I only have to fix an HTC (Android device) twice. Before you ask I do not fix electronics for a living, I am just handy and I fix things for my company's hardware on my free time.
    um iphone 5 doesn't have glass on the back. so I guess you were comparing the S4 to the 4S?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

Android is open in a sense that there are not the harsh restrictions on what you can and can't use. So yes there are a lot of things that you can do right out of the box like launchers and such.

However, androids are not fully open. They still have root access blocked. A lot of good tweaks require root access to work.

Apple doesn't just serve the regular population they also serve in business worlds. Having a secure platform is key in mobile devises for companies with sensitive information.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    i like the iphone but apple really needs to make a bigger screen iphone (4.8in or above). if they do, it will definitely be my next phone. i think they can make both a small screen and a big screen to accommodate all smartphone users.