+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New York Authorities Ask Smartphone Manufacturers to Help Stop Smartphone Thefts

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default New York Authorities Ask Smartphone Manufacturers to Help Stop Smartphone Thefts

The Attorney General for the state of New York recently asked Apple and other tech leaders to do more to stop smartphone thieves and further aid in the elimination of a growing black market for the stolen devices. In a letter to Apple CEO Tim Cook, Eric Schneiderman called the company to task on not implementing tech to cut down on theft. The following was part of his letter:

I seek to understand, why companies that can develop sophisticated handheld electronics, such as the products manufactured by Apple, cannot also create technology to render stolen devices inoperable and thereby eliminate the expanding black market on which they are sold.
    Schneiderman’s letters to Apple, Google, Microsoft, and Samsung came just a few days after a piece in The New York Times called out Apple and other manufacturers, saying that the telecoms companies essentially profited off smartphone theft. In the specific piece, San Francisco district attorney George Gascón said he met with Apple to discuss antitheft technology but Apple had given no indication that they were interested in implementing such technology.

As of right now, a number of antitheft technologies are already built into many smartphones. Users can track stolen iOS devices with Apple’s iCloud-based “Find My iPhone” service, while AT&T offers a system that blocks stolen iPhones from accessing its network. According to critics though, these efforts don’t deter thieves who will typically hack a device to erase all of its data and basically make it brand new. Schneiderman addressed this issue in his latter to Google Chairman, Eric Schmidt:

Foreign trafficking of stolen devices has proliferated and an abundance of domestic black market resellers, including right here in New York, means as a practical matter that phones do not, contrary to your website’s assertion, become unusable.
    It was reported that thefts of Apple devices alone caused a 14% jump in crime in New York City. It’s likely that NYC isn’t the only area affected by such a negative trend.

Source: Bloomberg

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Next iPhone will come with a lanyard like the current iPod touch.

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,074 Times in 798 Posts

what does he want to do, get the companies to make them undesirable, oh wait if they did that they wouldn't sell

sell the devices for less money, making resale value less which could relate to no point in stealing them

make the device self destruct after a certain length of time after it's stolen, not going to happen

it's not the companies problem, you do your job and find the offenders and let the companies do theirs by making desirable devices

we have insurance we can take out, their is find my iPhone, Android and Windows phone probably have something similar and there are alternatives to these as well

I think that should be enough and I personally believe there's already too much surveillance that invades privacy for my liking,

Edit: ah the lanyard, these bring conflict, person has phone yanked out of hand just for the thief to be recoiled by the lanyard, if said thief is the scared type, they just run off not too much of issue. If the thief is the kind that is willing to do more to get the device your stuffed, not everybody is a black belt
    Last edited by dsg; 05-13-2013 at 11:37 PM.
    privacy isn't about having something to hide

look here all grammar police, indulge me.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    iCaughtU pro... It's how Apple should have made Find iPhone.
    Last edited by iM1sf1t; 05-13-2013 at 07:23 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post

it's not the companies problem, you do your job and find the offenders and let the companies do theirs by making desirable devices

we have insurance we can take out, their is find my iPhone, Android and Windows phone probably have something similar and there are alternatives to these as well

Edit: ah the lanyard, these bring conflict, person has phone yanked out of hand just for the thief to be recoiled by the lanyard, if said thief is the scared type, they just run off not too much of issue. If the thief is the kind that is willing to do more to get the device your stuffed, not everybody is a black belt
    I agree and the lanyard was a joke.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to vinaygoel2000 For This Useful Post:

dsg (05-13-2013)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    Next iPhone will come with a lanyard like the current iPod touch.
    Why should Apple care this way they can get you to buy another phone why would they want to squash profits.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Why are the authorities asking manufacturers to do their job? Apple lets you lock your iPhone, so they've done their duty.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to luvmytj For This Useful Post:

dsg (05-13-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I seek to understand, why authorities who are paid to do a job, can't do it without asking others to do it for them.

iPhone? More like MyPhone BhadKarma's Avatar
    Thanks

Pull the SIM card. Turn off the phone. Restore.

Find my iPhone does nothing. Jus sayin.

:looksaroundmischievously:

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MCleveland89 View Post
    I seek to understand, why authorities who are paid to do a job, can't do it without asking others to do it for them.
    Maybe because people made it their job because they're lazy. Safety is not the responsibility of the police, it's the responsibility of the people. There is no safety in places like NYC because people aren't allowed to be armed.

Thanks

Any software that Apple puts on a device a work around will be discovered by thieves.

dsg
    Thanks

Software will never stop a physical theft FULL STOP

Thanks

Forget all the technical bla, bla, bla for now. Apple could start by just stopping dirt-bags from boldly waltzing up to the "genius bar" and warranty exchanging stolen iPhones for "clean" ones. Sayin...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MCleveland89 View Post
    If you want cops finding your stolen iphone, you are wanting to pay more taxes for more cops, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by ramicio View Post
    Maybe because people made it their job because they're lazy. Safety is not the responsibility of the police, it's the responsibility of the people. There is no safety in places like NYC because people aren't allowed to be armed.
    Yeah. Guns in NYC will be a good way to prevent iphone theft...

Grow up.
    Last edited by quidam_brujah; 05-14-2013 at 02:31 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    A problem of this kind of security app is if the iphone goes to safe mode, the app will not able to do anything.

dsg
    Thanks

The safe mode on the iDevices is a jailbreak thing, it's not there on a jailed iDevices and like I said above, software can't stop physical thefts
    Last edited by dsg; 05-20-2013 at 07:29 AM.