Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Apple Flooded with Police Demands to Decrypt iPhones

  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,059
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 129 Times in 114 Posts

    Default Apple Flooded with Police Demands to Decrypt iPhones


    The iPhone’s encryption is apparently secure enough that even law enforcement agencies are waiting in line to have Apple “crack” the lock and provide data to be used as evidence. According to a report by the folks at CNET, Apple has the ability to decrypt seized iPhones and has created a waiting list to handle the incoming requests.

    At one point last summer, the wait was over seven weeks long and one ATF agent reported that it took his request four months to be processed. The ATF had tried to decrypt the iPhone 4S of a Kentucky man who was accused of distributing drugs and became so frustrated that it contacted Apple for assistance, which is where the wait started.

    Those of you who are at all concerned about how secure your personal information is on an iOS device should be relieved at the fact that devices can’t be cracked by federal agents. No one is entirely sure how Apple can decrypt the information for the police. Whether there is a backdoor that only Apple knows about, has custom hardware for decryption of iOS devices, or just has better-trained cryptologists.

    There are products that are supposed to help crack codes, such as Elcomsoft’s iOS Forensic Toolkit, which claims to crack a four-digit iOS 4 or iOS 5 passcode in less than 40 minutes. It’s when someone uses a PIN or password with more characters that the decryption time takes a much longer time. The post cites Simson Garfinkel from the U.S. Naval Postgraduate School, who estimates that cracking a 10-digit PIN could take as long as 25 years using common brute-force methods.

    What this really means for the average law-abiding citizen is that a longer passphrase or PIN can keep your iOS data protected. For those engaged in illegal activities, it should be known that Apple knows how to free your data to law enforcement and will do just that.

    Source: CNET

    Twitter: @AkshayMasand

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Akshay Masand For This Useful Post:

    Nikhil Gorwani (05-12-2013)

  3. #2
    iPhone? More like MyPhone StuG III's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    186
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts

    I hope iMessages stay encrypted, and require apple to complete its decryption. There's a lot of force behind an "easy wire tapping" internet by federal institutions. I'm not doing anything illegal but I don't like big brother having to watch over me.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to StuG III For This Useful Post:

    ecofrankenstein (05-12-2013)

  5. #3
    They should go to talk to Jonathan Zdziarski, he's been offering police forensic security courses for years. Thanks for helping me get in that game for awhile too.

  6. #4
    Grumpy *T*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Turn around slowly...
    Posts
    670
    Thanks
    122
    Thanked 48 Times in 39 Posts

    Good thing my password is 11 characters and has numbers :P

  7. #5
    I don't have a problem with apple being able to decrypt iPhones. The problem I have is that means one bad leak. And everyone can find out how they do it. One slip of the mouth from an inside employee and you now have that information out to the world. That's what scares me.

  8. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    They should go to talk to Jonathan Zdziarski, he's been offering police forensic security courses for years. Thanks for helping me get in that game for awhile too.
    It is no business to law enforcement what I have in my I phone keep it locked down tight Apple.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to tridley68 For This Useful Post:

    ecofrankenstein (05-12-2013)

  10. #7
    My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    748
    Thanks
    397
    Thanked 76 Times in 61 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by tridley68 View Post
    It is no business to law enforcement what I have in my I phone keep it locked down tight Apple.
    It is if you are planning some criminal activities.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to vinaygoel2000 For This Useful Post:

    NewdestinyX (05-11-2013)

  12. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    It is if you are planning some criminal activities.
    Exactly. Criminal activity voids your right of privacy.. Jeez - don't they teach basic Civics in high schools anymore?!?
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

  13. #9
    They will give it up eventually if they can. Its all just a matter of working through the request backlogs. Just Sayin...
    back13.jpg

  14. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    It is if you are planning some criminal activities.

    You're assuming everybody who wants privacy is a criminal. The United States is corrupt. People have banks, credit card #'s and more on their phone. Their life savings is in fingers' reach. Of course we will want as much privacy/secure device as we can get. Wake up and stop thinking like a cop.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOneProfile For This Useful Post:

    ecofrankenstein (05-12-2013)

  16. #11
    Pssh. This makes me want to remove exchange unlock... I have a 11 digit password with letters, numbers and special characters.
    I'm not hiding anything but value privacy.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to jwil736 For This Useful Post:

    ThatOneProfile (05-11-2013)

  18. #12
    My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    748
    Thanks
    397
    Thanked 76 Times in 61 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneProfile View Post
    You're assuming everybody who wants privacy is a criminal. The United States is corrupt. People have banks, credit card #'s and more on their phone. Their life savings is in fingers' reach. Of course we will want as much privacy/secure device as we can get. Wake up and stop thinking like a cop.
    Read what I said again. Don't twist my statement.

  19. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    Read what I said again. Don't twist my statement.
    He didn't twist your statement. He only pointed out that by your own words you seem to agree with the nanny state. Wanting a secure device does not make a criminal. Maybe you need to go read a lil more, or just keep being a smart ***, it's your life.

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KockBurn For This Useful Post:

    ecofrankenstein (05-12-2013), ThatOneProfile (05-12-2013)

  21. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by KockBurn View Post
    He didn't twist your statement. He only pointed out that by your own words you seem to agree with the nanny state. Wanting a secure device does not make a criminal. Maybe you need to go read a lil more, or just keep being a smart ***, it's your life.
    What he said is that law enforcement have the right to the information on your phone if you committing, or planning to commit, criminal activity. He did not say that wanting privacy implied you were perpetrating criminal acts. Read his statement carefully because it can be easily misinterpreted.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to runey71 For This Useful Post:

    vinaygoel2000 (05-12-2013)

  23. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by runey71 View Post
    What he said is that law enforcement have the right to the information on your phone if you committing, or planning to commit, criminal activity. He did not say that wanting privacy implied you were perpetrating criminal acts. Read his statement carefully because it can be easily misinterpreted.
    And where's the line to determine what the police see as criminal activity? If I have a text and picture confirming the next iPhone and I don't want to show police, why should they be able to force into my phone and see what I'm hiding? It's nothing illegal, but they don't know that and I just don't want to show them.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to fanboyfanboy For This Useful Post:

    ecofrankenstein (05-12-2013)

  25. #16
    There's no mention of this in the article, but I hope there are warrants or some kind of court order required by Apple before they do this. We're talking about the same government that passed the current NDAA and keeps trying to pass bills like CISPA, after all.

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to td1439 For This Useful Post:

    ecofrankenstein (05-12-2013)

  27. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by fanboyfanboy View Post
    And where's the line to determine what the police see as criminal activity? If I have a text and picture confirming the next iPhone and I don't want to show police, why should they be able to force into my phone and see what I'm hiding? It's nothing illegal, but they don't know that and I just don't want to show them.
    That's between you and the politicians you vote for.

  28. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by td1439 View Post
    There's no mention of this in the article, but I hope there are warrants or some kind of court order required by Apple before they do this. We're talking about the same government that passed the current NDAA and keeps trying to pass bills like CISPA, after all.
    About time someone mentioned the real issue here. Without a warrant, law enforcement has no right to violate your privacy, regardless of what they "think" might be on your phone. Our right to privacy is guaranteed by the constitution, and without a warrant (which must be very specific by the way), it is illegal for any government official to violate that privacy. We are talking about the same government which blatantly suspended the 4th Amendment for thousands of law abiding citizens while searching for a 19 year old college student. At this point, I'd say every American citizen has a duty to be skeptical of the government when they engage in activities which infringe upon our unalienable rights, often for reasons which are never substantiated to a legal degree.

    It's quite likely that all law enforcement requests to Apple on this matter have a legitimate warrant to back them up, however, it's still very important to remain vigilant. The NDAA and CISPA are extremely offensive to the freedom of the people of the United States. Don't let the latest jailbreak tweak distract your from the slow dismantling of our "unalienable" rights.

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to twitchee3 For This Useful Post:

    ecofrankenstein (05-12-2013)

  30. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by fanboyfanboy View Post
    And where's the line to determine what the police see as criminal activity? If I have a text and picture confirming the next iPhone and I don't want to show police, why should they be able to force into my phone and see what I'm hiding? It's nothing illegal, but they don't know that and I just don't want to show them.
    Exactly. It doesn't matter what you have/may have/will have on your iPhone, or for that matter, in your home. To assume you have committed something illegal is very different from having actual proof. And this 'proof' doesn't count if the police decide to just take your property for the sake of it. Even criminals have rights because having the title of 'police' on your jacket, doesn't make your hands any cleaner. If anything, the government and police are more corrupt and dirty.
    People are so blind and open to just bending over and giving away your rights. Take a look at what the government is getting away with lately... pitiful.

  31. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by td1439 View Post
    but I hope there are warrants or some kind of court order required by Apple before they do this.
    back13.jpg
    Last edited by Lohand; 05-12-2013 at 09:28 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •