Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS Powers Just 19% of Smart Mobile Devices Shipped in Q1 2013

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default iOS Powers Just 19% of Smart Mobile Devices Shipped in Q1 2013

Independent analyst firm Canalys is out with a new report highlighting total smart mobile device shipments for Q1 of 2013.

For the quarter, global shipments of notebooks, tablets and smartphones reached 308.7 million units, which represents year-on-year growth of 37.4%.

When it comes to OS vendors, Android remains the global OS leader, powering 59.5% of all smart mobile devices shipped.

Apple’s iOS only claimed a 19.3% share, while Microsoft’s 18.1% share reflects its relative strength in the PC market but continued challenger status in the smartphone space, the report reads.

“Despite its slowing growth, Apple still shipped over 37 million iPhones,” says Pete Cunningham, Canalys Principal Analyst. “But HTC and Samsung have raised the bar with their latest handsets and Apple needs to respond with its next iPhone. The iPhone user interface is now six years old and badly in need of a refresh. Hardware-wise, the biggest dilemma that Apple faces is what it does with the size of the display on the next iPhone. It cannot afford to ignore the trend for larger displays in premium smart phones. We expect an increase on the iPhone 5’s 4″ display but are not anticipating a ‘Phablet’-style iPhone.”

Source: Canalys

Sounds pretty good for having under 10 devices lol. Compared to 100 devices with 'other companies'

Quote Originally Posted by BhadKarma View Post
    Sounds pretty good for having under 10 devices lol. Compared to 100 devices with 'other companies'
    That's exactly what i say when it comes to these #s, Apple has always in a way competed with 1 device while Android releases 100's and 100's of phones per year, 1 company vs i don't know how many company's make android phones now, but i know its a lot.

So in a way not bad for Apple 1 device vs 100's, 1 Company vs 100's, Not bad at all.

iPhone? More like MyPhone 5kylar's Avatar
    Thanks

All this report says to me is 80.7% of people have $hitty phones
    Last edited by 5kylar; 05-10-2013 at 11:39 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 5kylar For This Useful Post:

Silverado1987 (05-10-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

There are currently 310 separate and distinct android phones on the market. Ranging from Acer, HTC, Motorola, LG, Samsung, Sony, Sony Ericsson, Dell, and many more.

310 Different version of the same crap OS and these guys still find a way to talk about the validity of which phone or operating system is better. 310 vs 1 and the one is still destroying all the other models on a per phone basis. Why does Engadget, CNET, CNN, Modmyi, and all the others think this is relevant? Is there nothing else to talk about or do they think people are stupid enough to believe the iPhone has lost it's luster? (actually some people are that stupid). The Galaxy 2, 3, and 4 were all iPhone killers and yet the iPhone 4 is outselling these phones. The new HTC One was supposed to end the debate...Have they even sold 5 million units yet? WTF people? Can we put this pointless and baseless argument to rest once and for all?

Quote Originally Posted by 5kylar View Post
    All this report says to me is 80.7% of people have $hitty phones
    You sir are 100% correct 80.7% of people have $hitty weak and unstable Android phones.

Thanks

Here is a novel idea, give us stats for Androids best seller VS iPhone or iOS. Get the best Android sellers and have the amount of hardware be equal. Compare at that time..that would be interesting. Bet Apple would beat them.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Here is a novel idea, give us stats for Androids best seller VS iPhone or iOS. Get the best Android sellers and have the amount of hardware be equal. Compare at that time..that would be interesting. Bet Apple would beat them.
    Maker Model Year Sold Millions
    Apple iPhone 4S 2011–2012 16.7
    Samsung Galaxy S 2010–2012 20
    Samsung Galaxy S II 2011–2013 40
    Apple iPhone 3GS 2009–2012 35

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kline1 View Post
    That's exactly what i say when it comes to these #s, Apple has always in a way competed with 1 device while Android releases 100's and 100's of phones per year, 1 company vs i don't know how many company's make android phones now, but i know its a lot.

So in a way not bad for Apple 1 device vs 100's, 1 Company vs 100's, Not bad at all.
    Yeah if all of those companies each had their own OS. Android OEMs have to compete with each other for the best Android phone. Apple doesn't have to compete with anyone for the best iOS phone.

If I wanted an Android phone with a great low-light camera and amazing speakers, I would get the One. If you wanted an Android phone with a microSD slot and a bigger screen, you would get the Galaxy S4. That's one sale for each company.

If I wanted an iOS phone with a great low-light camera and amazing speakers, oh well, the iPhone is my only option. If you wanted an iOS phone with a microSD slot and a bigger screen, oh well, the iPhone is your only option. That's two sales for one company.

With Samsung selling close to half of all Android phones despite the competition between other Android manufacturers, that's more impressive to me than Apple commanding less than 20% of the smartphone market.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

Seeing as how Apply only releases ONE phone a year....that's pretty damn good!

Seeing as how Apple only releases ONE phone a year....that's pretty damn good!