+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Germany Not Taking Kindly to Apple's Customer Data Privacy

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Germany Not Taking Kindly to Apple's Customer Data Privacy

Apple’s customer data sharing policies have been found violating Germany’s consumer privacy protection laws. The iPhone maker has been ordered to retool the way it deals with some of the consumer data as a result. To be more specific, according to Bloomberg, a Berlin court struck down eight of 15 Apple provisions governing its use of customer data. The provisions had all been challenged by German consumer advocate group Verbraucherzentrale Bundesverband (VSBV), which celebrated the court's ruling on its website.

As a result of the court’s decision, Apple is forbidden from seeking “global consent” to use customer data like location information. The company may have to specify in each case what a customer’s data will be used for and by which programs. The VZBV’s officials cheered and as a result said the following:

The verdict shows the importance of privacy for consumers in the digital world.
    Apple already signed a binding agreement with VZBV that it would use seven of the 15 clauses that make up its general data use terms. The court’s decision on Tuesday invalidated the remaining eight clauses. The decision also blocked Apple from giving consumer data to other companies that used it for advertising. The amount and importance of data customers enter into their iOS devices has grown as the devices have become more popular. Furthermore, the sensitivity of the data gathered by and entered onto these devices has led to numerous efforts around the world to ensure consumer privacy.

Two years ago, governments in France, Germany, Italy, and South Korea asking Apple to clarify its use of location data after tests reportedly found that users’ iPhones were collecting and storing location information even when location information services were turned off.

Source: Bloomberg via AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Green Apple
    Thanks

When will the rest realize ?

iPhone? More like MyPhone 5kylar's Avatar
    Thanks

I've said it before and I'll say it again. When it comes to privacy and mobile tracking, Who Cares? Legit, is it hurting you? No. It's the price we pay for the modern age. Everybody is so damn paranoid nowadays, I'll never understand how people live in fear of EVERYTHING. Open your eyes people to the things that really matter in your life, like your families. If activists want something to b**** about, how about the fact that pot is still illegal in 90% of the world

Btw FirewallIP is great tool for blocking the connections that iOS apps use to collect user data from you, if your really dead set on remaining anonymous to the world :P

iPhone? More like MyPhone StuG III's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 5kylar View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. When it comes to privacy and mobile tracking, Who Cares? Legit, is it hurting you? No. It's the price we pay for the modern age. Everybody is so damn paranoid nowadays, I'll never understand how people live in fear of EVERYTHING. Open your eyes people to the things that really matter in your life, like your families. If activists want something to b**** about, how about the fact that pot is still illegal in 90% of the world

Btw FirewallIP is great tool for blocking the connections that iOS apps use to collect user data from you, if your really dead set on remaining anonymous to the world :P
    I would not say I live in fear, but it's the fact the you're being watched all the time is a little unnerving

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 5kylar View Post

Come on, you know it is shady when they supposedly gave you ability to turn off the location information service it still collect and store them.

iPhone? More like MyPhone 5kylar's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StuG III View Post
    I would not say I live in fear, but it's the fact the you're being watched all the time is a little unnerving
    Most people do live in constant fear, even if it's minor or totally irrational. Things like anxiety and even depression (the two most widely spread mental illnesses) have their roots in fear. Most of us just aren't very self aware unfortunately and don't particularly like to think of ourselves as a fearful creature. Oddly enough, fear is healthy in concentrated shots

But in relation to this thread. I'm basically saying it's one more damn thing you don't need to worry about.

...And btw, there's too many phone's on this planet for any combination of governments or whoever you think is watching you, to constantly watch everybody's cell phones.
    iPhone 5c - iOS 7.0.4 Jailbroken