+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung Responds to Galaxy S4 Complaints By Telling Users to Go Buy an SD Card

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 Buying an SD card to increase storage is logical. Not sure what u r trying to ask. It is a d1ck move to advertise storage as
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    Buying an SD card to increase storage is logical. Not sure what u r trying to ask. It is a d1ck move to advertise storage as 16gb when only half is available. But buying an SD card is totally logical.
    While it does feel like deceptive advertising (makers should have to advertise the general usable space or at least make it clear some how, like "16GB, 9GB usable for storage" or so), I have a hard time faulting Samsung the same way that I might hold Apple accountable, since Sansung doesn't make the operating system, Google does, and thus the latter is responsible for such a space consuming OS. I'm not sure how much space a vanilla Android installation of the same version number consumes, but are handsets makers really that much more bloated over a a vanilla install?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EMH View Post
    To get a better idea of how ridiculous this is, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (the x64 version, BTW) takes up 8.2 GB. That's for a full-featured, 64-bit, desktop-class OS. How on Earth Samsung justifies taking up almost 7GB with a mobile OS is beyond me.

Source: SuperUser
    Sansung doesn't make the OS though, Google does. The problem is all the extra apps and content that Samsung (and other handset vendors) pre-loads onto their devices, not unlike how a lot of computer OEMs pre-load all sorts of crap onto Windows and such computers (HP/Compaq, Dell, Gateway, Acer, Toshiba, etc), where as a stock install of the same OS is typically much smaller. Likewise, I'm fairly certain that a stock Android install is much smaller than the same version that comes on many handsets.

iPhone? More like MyPhone HovikGas's Avatar
    Thanks

Wait a minute, so if you buy the 8 GB model, you're stuck with less than 2 GB of space for apps? Infinity Blade and you're done?! Wow, that's absurd...

My iPhone is a Part of Me GrandMstrBud's Avatar
    Thanks

Out of the box my S4 has about 9GB free. Not very happy about this even if it has an option for a micro SD slot. If some of these companies didn't have to put so much bloat on it then it may be a little better but come on a 16GB phone turns into 9GB right out of the box. I'm sure once some custom ROM's come out it will be much better but that's not the point.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
    So are iOS devices officially the only ones with a usable portion of advertised storage anywhere near the advertised amount?
    I bought 16GB iPhone 5, capacity is 13.5GB.
    Don't ever recall Apple advertise 13.5GB for storage.

At least they can upgrade storage for data like movies, books, etc.

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,062 Times in 4,204 Posts

The day apple comes out with a sd card slot. That will be great.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 2k1 For This Useful Post:

Carvensno (05-06-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2k1 View Post
    The day apple comes out with a sd card slot. That will be great.
    And the chances of this happening are next to zero.

2k1
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yearoftherat View Post
    And the chances of this happening are next to zero.
    Hey it could happen

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ohh wow! REALLY? Apps these days, especially the heavy games are 1.5-2 gbs. And the average size continues to grow.
    So ure telling me that no matter what, no matter how many sd cards they get, they'll be able to install 5 gb less worth of apps than an iphone of the same capacity?
    Hahahahaha. This is hilarious.
    U know its mess ups like these which prevent the hardware (samsung) and the software (android) companies to take over apple in real sense (consumer satisfaction and loyalty and ****).
    Google wont allow apps to get transferred to sd cards because they'll run slower and crash more often and people would blame android.
    Samsung can do pretty much nothing about it so it comes up with foolish solutions.
    Software-hardware integration!
    Thats what ive been talking about all this while!
    Anyway m happy that going at the current rate of the increase in size of the apps, gs4 will become obsolete before the 4s which was launched in 2011.
    Some phones are smarter than the others? Well a smartphone is smart BECAUSE of the apps that u can install on it.
    And samsung's or rather android's IQ didnt quite match up to the iphone!
    M so happy!

Quote Originally Posted by yearoftherat View Post
    You can say the same thing if you bought a 16 gab iPhone and u ran out of space too. I had a 16 gb iP4 and it wasn't enuff so now 32 is the minimum for me
    At least you can add more storage to an existing product w/o having to upgrade your phone to get more space
    Oh so u think running out of storage is the problem? The problem is scamming the consumer. And if u think that 8.5 gb(gs4) is the same as 13.5 gb(iphone), then u must also think that 500 mb(gs5) is also fine so long as there is an sd card! Good. Ull have all your movies and songs in your sd card.
    But apps? Too bad, they dont do that.
    But hang on. Movies and songs was a feature of regular phones. Apps actually make a phone smart.
    Not feeling so smart after all, huh?
    Last edited by Mohit555; 05-05-2013 at 12:29 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by abosworth View Post
    i find it really hard to believe that the os takes up half of the space. That is completely ridiculous if true. It's very disappointing that the sd card cannot be used for app storage as well.
    bloatware......

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You can store apps on the sd card... you just have to root and install a bit of software...

iPhone? More like MyPhone Venom1234's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rtalley45 View Post
    You can store apps on the sd card... you just have to root and install a bit of software...
    I shouldn't have to root my phone to install apps on an SD card, that's just even more crap right there.

2k1
    Thanks

Another thing rooting and jailbreak.

Jailbreak is so easy to do on the iPhones.

Rooting on the other hand well I have a s3 and still haven't got it rooted yet.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Dirty little secret
    I've been told that the SD cards only offer data storage space, not storage for more applications. So, if you're running out of space for applications, you're screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambi_Valence View Post
    " The additional space, although it canít be used to store apps...... "
    Eh? So I can ramp my self up to 80GB but still can't have any larger a selection of apps? That might be a problem for me. At an absolute minimum I've alwats got at least 4.5GB of just apps. Unless I'm reading this wrong and app data isn't accounted for?

My iPhone is a Part of Me fanboyfanboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rtalley45 View Post
    I don't believe you can? Because google removed that feature it would require a partial re-write of that part of the OS, and I don't believe there are any Roms that do that.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

Rooting is not that hard, but no where as easy as jailbreaking.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tperry's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Venom1234 View Post
    I shouldn't have to root my phone to install apps on an SD card, that's just even more crap right there.
    And I shouldn't have to JB to run the browser I want as default, or the SMS app, or to have the equivalent of lock info capability. Your point was?

Takes all of 10 minutes.
    Not a waterboy for Android OR Apple.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ABOSWORTH's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fanboyfanboy View Post
    It's not the OS, it's all the standard apps that Samsung throws in there, don't you want your S health app?!
    Are you able to delete those apps without rooting?

Thanks
    Thanked 14,873 Times in 6,898 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
    Out of the box my S4 has about 9GB free. Not very happy about this even if it has an option for a micro SD slot. If some of these companies didn't have to put so much bloat on it then it may be a little better but come on a 16GB phone turns into 9GB right out of the box. I'm sure once some custom ROM's come out it will be much better but that's not the point.
    All those gimmicks take up space lol

My iPhone is a Part of Me fanboyfanboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ABOSWORTH View Post
    Are you able to delete those apps without rooting?
    Without rooting I don't believe you can