Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 33 of 33

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: iOS 6.1.4 for iPhone 5 Released

  1. #21
    Livin the iPhone Life slim.jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Maryland, US
    Posts
    1,011
    Thanks
    116
    Thanked 128 Times in 98 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Nice explanation but too techy - even for the avid jail breaker. What they need to do is go to BestBuy and get a "dual band" N router. Then their home wifi will be screamin' again!! I think DOCSIS 3.0 is still the standard for their modem for fastest thru. Right?
    Unless you are on dial up the only thing limiting your speed would be your ISP. Even older routers support 54Mbps. In my case having a 54Mbps wifi connection could theoretically limit my Internet speeds because I can test and get as high as 62 Mbps on a 450Mbps wifi connection. The iPhone 5's will support up to 150Mbps over wifi. This not something that an iOS update can change because it is a hardware limitation.

  2. #22
    If I had a nickel... thazsar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    4,713
    Thanks
    825
    Thanked 2,874 Times in 1,244 Posts

    I really need to be on the latest firmware and stay jailbroken. Why won't you help me!?!?

    I accidentally upgraded my iPhone 4S to 6.1.4. What's the name of the jailbreak tool for my phone?

    Trolololol

  3. #23
    Livin the iPhone Life slim.jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Maryland, US
    Posts
    1,011
    Thanks
    116
    Thanked 128 Times in 98 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    I really need to be on the latest firmware and stay jailbroken. Why won't you help me!?!?

    I accidentally upgraded my iPhone 4S to 6.1.4. What's the name of the jailbreak tool for my phone?

    Trolololol
    I always love the "I accidentally upgraded" post. It takes effort to update the phone accidentally because it ask you 3 or 4 times if you are sure. LOL.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
    Unless you are on dial up the only thing limiting your speed would be your ISP. Even older routers support 54Mbps. In my case having a 54Mbps wifi connection could theoretically limit my Internet speeds because I can test and get as high as 62 Mbps on a 450Mbps wifi connection. The iPhone 5's will support up to 150Mbps over wifi. This not something that an iOS update can change because it is a hardware limitation.
    But Slim, you can't really get anywhere near the 54MBps on the single band N's. I've done dozens of tests. And with LTE getting even better than 57 the only way to have home Wifi these days "feel zippy" - is Dual Band. But you're right - if the iSP is slowing you down that's a whole 'nother story.. But most of the major American, European, Japanese and Australian ISPs have thruputs well above 57.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

  5. #25
    For some reason the update isn't coming up for me. 6.1.3 it is...

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by helstar View Post
    So I see this still doesn't fix the slow wifi speeds! What the heck are they thinking. Most the the world have older routers. Can't even use wifi to download apps. Horrible slow!
    If your iPhone 5 is "horrible slow" on wifi with your old router, its probably because of your OLD ROUTER...

  7. #27
    Livin the iPhone Life slim.jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Maryland, US
    Posts
    1,011
    Thanks
    116
    Thanked 128 Times in 98 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    But Slim, you can't really get anywhere near the 54MBps on the single band N's. I've done dozens of tests. And with LTE getting even better than 57 the only way to have home Wifi these days "feel zippy" - is Dual Band. But you're right - if the iSP is slowing you down that's a whole 'nother story.. But most of the major American, European, Japanese and Australian ISPs have thruputs well above 57.
    Agreed, the only way you would get 54Mbps on an older router is to make sure nothing else is connected to it and be right next to it. A newer dual band has enough bandwidth for multiple devices. My original point though was that it is not the iPhone that is limiting his WiFi speeds.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
    Agreed, the only way you would get 54Mbps on an older router is to make sure nothing else is connected to it and be right next to it. A newer dual band has enough bandwidth for multiple devices. My original point though was that it is not the iPhone that is limiting his WiFi speeds.
    Yes. Yes.. Sorry I muddied those waters. I was only responding to your point about a single band N router being 'sufficient'. My single band N was a VERY POOR performer compared to LTE even getting only 3 of 6 bars in my house. I knew it was time to upgrade routers - when Cellular was faster than my home Wifi.. LOL!!!
    ANd WAAAAY less expensive too. My 6GB plan was getting pretty full there for a while. NOW my home wifi beats LTE cellular again.. The N Dual band routers ARE pretty pricey.. A word to the wise...

  9. #29
    Livin the iPhone Life slim.jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Maryland, US
    Posts
    1,011
    Thanks
    116
    Thanked 128 Times in 98 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Yes. Yes.. Sorry I muddied those waters. I was only responding to your point about a single band N router being 'sufficient'. My single band N was a VERY POOR performer compared to LTE even getting only 3 of 6 bars in my house. I knew it was time to upgrade routers - when Cellular was faster than my home Wifi.. LOL!!!
    ANd WAAAAY less expensive too. My 6GB plan was getting pretty full there for a while. NOW my home wifi beats LTE cellular again.. The N Dual band routers ARE pretty pricey.. A word to the wise...
    You can pick up a Netgear WNDR3700 for under $100 now (I paid $150 for it when it came out) which isn't too bad and it is a good router. I use a WNDR3700 and a WNDR4500 as access points to cover my house and both provide great speed. I stream 1080P movies over wifi from the router to my smart tv all the time.

  10. #30
    Livin the iPhone Life xboxbml's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    US-MI
    Posts
    1,297
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 66 Times in 63 Posts

    That update was for ip5 only...

  11. #31
    Seriously no review on the changes it makes to the audio. Is modmyi totally done with the non jailbreak community? There was a time when we would get at least most of a story here now I have to look elsewhere for a real review of the update.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by nicrfe View Post
    Seriously no review on the changes it makes to the audio. Is modmyi totally done with the non jailbreak community? There was a time when we would get at least most of a story here now I have to look elsewhere for a real review of the update.
    That's all apple has told anyone, no one in the public really knows what it did exactly.

  13. #33
    Livin the iPhone Life xboxbml's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    US-MI
    Posts
    1,297
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 66 Times in 63 Posts

    Right...I've been looking around on n off n haven't found anything specific...I did the OTA update...first one I've ever done...haven't seen any issues or changes in anything...
    Last edited by xboxbml; 05-06-2013 at 10:25 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •