+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Onavo Releases Onavo Protect in the App Store, Offers Free Wi-Fi Security for iOS

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Onavo is known for their application Onavo Extend, which allows you to shrink the size of data that you use before your carrier counts it against you every month. Onavo
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Onavo Releases Onavo Protect in the App Store, Offers Free Wi-Fi Security for iOS

Onavo is known for their application Onavo Extend, which allows you to shrink the size of data that you use before your carrier counts it against you every month. Onavo also released Onavo Count in October of last year, which breaks down your data usage application by application in a visually beautiful manner.

Onavo has just released their third application in the iOS App Store called Onavo Protect. The application is basically a free VPN service that doubles as a Wi-Fi security application. Not only will you get the layer of VPN security, but you will also get warned when you are about to enter a malicious or phishing site. Harmful Web sites will be blocked for you automatically for your safety.

Notably, the application will also alert you when you connect to an unsecured Wi-Fi network and let you know when you’re about to share information over a non-secured Web site. These additional features help maintain your privacy and let you decide if you still want to continue with whatever you're doing.

Because Onavo Protect is a VPN service, you will see it in the Settings application in the VPN preferences pane:

It’s not entirely necessary to handle the VPN manually, as the VPN enables and disables itself automatically based on when it’s needed. For example, if you put your device to sleep, the vPN turns off. When you unlock your device, the VPN initiates again (this sometimes takes a few seconds).

From the Onavo Protect application, you can access the application's preferences where you can enable and disable the protection or service on demand:

The application itself offers a detailed home screen that shows your current Internet connection status, whether or not it’s secure, and whether or not you have visited harmful sites or given personal information on unsecured Web sites:

Think of Onavo Protect as an always-on VPN service that goes a little further and offers built-in security. Oh, and it’s completely free without data limits! Check out the Onavo Protect video below:

For a mobile-friendly video link that works with our app, tap on the video link below:

YouTube Video

If you’re interested in grabbing the application, and using the Onavo Protect service, you can download the application for free from the App Store via this App Store link. It is a universal application for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad.

Sources: App Store
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 05-02-2013 at 10:46 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

LudaChris (05-02-2013)

Thanks

I tried it; it sucks.

Their own info says it only protects web browsing, not apps, so it's certainly not a real VPN. Further I found it caused my iPhone 5 with jailbreak to slow, freeze, and reboot. Deleted after a couple of hours. If you need real protection, get a real VPN and pay for it.
    Last edited by buggsy2; 05-02-2013 at 10:33 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
    Seems good but how do we know Onavo isn't spying on us.
    Everything you need to know about how Onavo uses your information is available in the Onavo Privacy Policy:

Onavo | Privacy Policy

iPhone? More like MyPhone mgmm1's Avatar
    Thanks

I use Onavo Extend v1.8.1. Under Settings/General/VPN mine shows connected and when I tap on VPN The next screen shows VPN is on; status shows connected and the configuration has Onavo checked. Is the VPN in the Onavo Protect app different?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mgmm1 View Post
    I use Onavo Extend v1.8.1. Under Settings/General/VPN mine shows connected and when I tap on VPN The next screen shows VPN is on; status shows connected and the configuration has Onavo checked. Is the VPN in the Onavo Protect app different?
    Yes.

All of Onavo's services are based off of VPNs; however, each VPN has different special abilities. For example, the one you're using right now with Onavo Extend shrinks your data before it reaches your device. Onavo Extend is also designed to work with Cellular networks, but technically works over everything.

Well, with Onavo Protect, you get a VPN service that doesn't shrink data at all. Additionally, you get Web security from phishing and malicious Web sites, and the VPN helps keep your information safe on public Wi-Fi networks. Onavo Protect is designed to work with Wi-Fi networks, but technically works over everything.