+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'Define' Adds a Simple Dictionary Search Field to Notification Center

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Looking for another hidden gem in Cydia? – Here’s one! Define is a simple new Notification Center add-on by iOS developer ravirajm that allows you to define words through iOS’
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 770 Posts

Default 'Define' Adds a Simple Dictionary Search Field to Notification Center

Looking for another hidden gem in Cydia? – Here’s one!

Define is a simple new Notification Center add-on by iOS developer ravirajm that allows you to define words through iOS’ built-in dictionary via Notification Center.

As shown above, the add-on is literally just a text field bar that says, “Search Dictionary.” You will be able to tap on the text field to begin searching. Immediately as you begin typing, a Cancel button will appear so you can dismiss the keyboard if you decide you don't really want to search for a word. You can tap on the ‘X’ button in the text field to clear anything you type, or you can backspace manually.

When you tap on the Search button on the keyboard after typing a word into the text field, the word you type in gets defined with iOS' built-in dictionary feature; this is the same dictionary you get when you highlight a word and tap on the Define button from the pop-up menu.

Define doesn’t come with any options to configure; however, you can enable and disable the add-on at any time, just like any other Notification Center widget, by dragging it in and out of Notification Center in the Notifications preferences pane in the Settings application:

For as simple as a tweak that Define is, it definitely feels like it will come in handy. It’s very minimalistic, and feels like a stock feature. Kudos to the developer!

If you're interested in giving Define a try, you will find it for free in Cydia's ModMyi repository.

Name: Define
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0
    Requirements: WeeLoader, iOS 5+
    Repo: ModMyi
    Developer: ravirajm
    Editor's Rating:  5/5

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Someone should add this into the search page on the home screen.

iPhone? More like MyPhone GooseG's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    There is a tweak for this. It adds a dictionary button to the spotlight. Not sure what its called, but searching for "dictionary" in Cydia may find it

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    Spotlight? There's a tweak called SpotDict. I've been using it for months. Beats any other way of looking up a word if you ask me.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I just use the Dictionary App

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Why don't you just use the stock ios firmware then while you're at it since you obviously don't get the concept of tweaks...kidding...Hey am I the only one unable to find Define in modmyi?

Nm, it's back
    Last edited by howtorob; 05-01-2013 at 09:00 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GooseG View Post
    There is a tweak for this. It adds a dictionary button to the spotlight. Not sure what its called, but searching for "dictionary" in Cydia may find it

its called spotDict