+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Report: Engineers Scrambling to Finish iOS 7

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Report: Engineers Scrambling to Finish iOS 7

With Apple's WWDC 2013 set to kick off early next month, the pressure is on for engineers at Apple to finish iOS 7 for its big preview on the global stage.

In recent weeks, we've heard plenty about Sir Jonathan Ive’s purportedly ambitious redesign efforts for Apple's mobile operating system. So elaborate is the redesign, we're told, that Apple's engineers will need every minute between now and the start of WWDC to finish iOS 7.

Ive, 46, has begun revamping iPhone and iPad applications, shunning realistic images, such as wood bookshelves for the Newsstand feature, and he’s exploring more dramatic changes to the e-mail and calendar tools, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the plans are private.
    Bloomberg reported this morning that Ive is also "methodically reviewing new designs, seeking to avoid a repeat of last year’s release of map tools." The prominent design chief is also said to be encouraging collaboration between the software and hardware divisions, which "operated in silos" under Steve Jobs.

Sources inside Apple indicate that the company still plans to release iOS 7 in or around the month of September. But internal deadlines for submitting features for testing "are being set later than past releases."

Source: Bloomberg

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

Can't wait for iOS 7. Wonder if it'll be good enough to warrant my release from my JailBroken 4s for the months until the next JailBreak?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PokemonDesigner For This Useful Post:

Bryan334 (05-01-2013)

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 667 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    Can't wait for iOS 7. Wonder if it'll be good enough to warrant my release from my JailBroken 4s for the months until the next JailBreak?
    Hear ya man!!! Torn between keeping my jailbroken 5 or let it go for beta testing iOS 7😟 since I only have 1 idevice lol

My iPhone is a Part of Me fanboyfanboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    Hear ya man!!! Torn between keeping my jailbroken 5 or let it go for beta testing iOS 7😟 since I only have 1 idevice lol
    Agreed! I've been waiting since January to buy an iPad, because I want the new generation, but knowing I won't be able to play around on iOS 7 betas' and keep my jail broken 4S at the same time will be a tough decision...

iPhone? More like MyPhone cockyjeremy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    Who knows, it might be jailbroken soon after launch. They could find an exploit in the iOS 7 beta and have it about ready to go upon release.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,111 Times in 1,831 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cockyjeremy View Post
    Who knows, it might be jailbroken soon after launch. They could find an exploit in the iOS 7 beta and have it about ready to go upon release.
    That's ambitious thinking IMO. They will still need to apply it to the GM as things can change between the beta & the final version. If you look at the trend for iOS 5 to iOS 6 for the JBs they have taken longer each time. I'd certainly like a JB straight after 7.0 drops as would everyone but I think realistically it ain't going to be that simple.
    Twitter Id: @Jato_BZ
    Ask questions here or there, or follow/preview my theme build process...something different

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jato_BZ View Post
    That's ambitious thinking IMO. They will still need to apply it to the GM as things can change between the beta & the final version. If you look at the trend for iOS 5 to iOS 6 for the JBs they have taken longer each time. I'd certainly like a JB straight after 7.0 drops as would everyone but I think realistically it ain't going to be that simple.
    I think that ios7 jb will come out in lesser time than the amount it took to jb ios6.
    With ios 6, the developers started with a clean slate.
    Right now they already have 3 exploits which have not been detected by apple, so theres a great possibility that they still might be there in ios 7. And if thats the case, then they just need to find one more and BAM! We'll have an ios 7 jb! (I read somewhere that they needed at the most 4 exploits for all the past jbs.)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Rushed iOS = more holes to be used for a jailbreak!

Glad they are doing some major overhauls.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgunaca View Post
    Rushed iOS = more holes to be used for a jailbreak!

Glad they are doing some major overhauls.
    Not true, if all they're doing is cosmetics on apps, that (I'm almost positive is not a low enough root access to cause a jailbreak, exactly why you can't create a jailbreak off a 3rd party app, unless apples apps have more root access it won't make a difference if that's all they're doing.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I hope the JB doesn't get released right after iOS 7, there's usually bugs or software problems that get fixed in later updates. So I hope they wait for a nice stable version of 7. This way we don't get stuck between choosing to have a JB or have something not work right on the iPhone.

I do think Ive's will do a great job on iOS 7!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve-z17 For This Useful Post:

Silverado1987 (05-01-2013), vinaygoel2000 (05-01-2013)

Thanks

Good thing I have an iPhone 4 so I can update to iOS 7 and enjoy a tethered jailbreak until the evad3rs release a new untethered jailbreak☺

iPhone? More like MyPhone andygev35's Avatar
    Thanks

My wish, however foolish, is an impressive enough revamp of iOS that I won't even care about jailbreaking. I know... It's a pipe dream...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to andygev35 For This Useful Post:

Bryan334 (05-01-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This is great news-- I only have to keep my iPhone 5 that's already laggy as hell and constant safe modes on 6.1.2 for another 8 months (assuming that the devs jailbreak it by January and that's a very modest estimate. It could very well be March or April before we see a released JB.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,111 Times in 1,831 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bradmullins007 View Post
    This is great news-- I only have to keep my iPhone 5 that's already laggy as hell and constant safe modes on 6.1.2 for another 8 months (assuming that the devs jailbreak it by January and that's a very modest estimate. It could very well be March or April before we see a released JB.
    I'm finding 6.1.3 all good. Not JB but fairly good batt wise & reliability wise. Lost my 6.1.2 JB some time ago. It's not all doom & gloom. Still rings still texts.
    Twitter Id: @Jato_BZ
    Ask questions here or there, or follow/preview my theme build process...something different

Thanks

Odd. My 6.1.2 jailbroken iPhone 5 isn't laggy at all, and it never crashes to safe mode. I'm betting its a tweak you have installed, rather than the OS causing your issues.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

I hope iOS 7 is less than 1 GB.

Thanks

I have a 4S with 20+ tweaks installed, and yet it crashes maybe once a day if I forget to close out of apps in the multitask bar (I usually leave 4 at Max in there) I'm gonna guess its a bad tweak or a conflict of tweaks not your ram, you have twice as much as I do haha

Thanks

I'm anxious to see what new changes iOS 7 will bring.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Colin9001's Avatar
    Thanks

Yess new calendars! Just what we want.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I'm anxious too. How iOS 7 looks is going to determine whether I stay with iOS or jump ship. I really hate the flat UI of Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8. If iOS 7 is going to emulate that look, I won't like it one bit.