+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Original iPhone to Become "Obsolete" in Apple Retail Stores

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Original iPhone to Become "Obsolete" in Apple Retail Stores

According to internal Apple documentation, the original iPhone which first debuted in 2007 will be entering an “obsolete” status, with a few exceptions. The official switch will happen on June 11, 2013 when the iPhone along with several other Macs and Xserve models officially being classified as vintage and obsolete products. For those of you interested, Apple’s support site defines vintage products as:

…those that were discontinued more than five and less than seven years ago. Apple has discontinued hardware service for vintage products with the following exception:

-Products purchased in the state of California, United States, as required by statute.
    -Owners of vintage Macintosh products may obtain service and parts from Apple service providers within the state of California, United States.

-Owners of vintage iPod products in the state of California may obtain service from Apple Retail Stores or by contacting AppleCare at 1-800-APL-CARE.
    To clarify, an obsolete product is one that is discontinued more than seven years ago and won’t be supported under any circumstance. It should be pointed out that over 18 months ago, AT&T even stopped activating the original iPhone, without any roundabout solution. While the original iPhone will now be considered obsolete in the U.S. at walk-in Apple stores and around the world, the “vintage” status will still apply with AppleCare and Authorized Service Providers, meaning it is possible to have the device if you call directly.

Does this affect you or anyone you know? It’s a bit hard to believe it does as the price of the newer models is relatively cheap compared to the cost of maintaining a first-gen iPhone as well as the sacrifice in features one has to experience to continue using it.

Source: Apple (Support) via 9to5Mac

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me ProfessorJack's Avatar
    Thanks

There's always one 👍

My iPhone is a Part of Me radioBirdman's Avatar
    Thanks

Cracks me up that a few people I know seem to think their 3G is "the original iPhone"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by radioBirdman View Post
    Cracks me up that a few people I know seem to think their 3G is "the original iPhone"
    Haha man, that unbelievable xD

iPhone? More like MyPhone Colin9001's Avatar
    Thanks

Enjoy that 3.1.3 advanced OS

Green Apple
    Thanks
    wish i could refurbish it to "new" condition. mine's all scratched up.

Thanks

^^HAHA^^ I would think the 3G is right around the corner..next to get the obsolete axe

Green Apple
    Thanks

the price of the newer models is relatively cheap as compared to the cost of maintaining a first-gen iPhone ......time to move on people

Thanks

Should have been smart back when the 3G came out. I unlocked my original iPhone and sold it for $600 on eBay 6 months after I bought it and paid $400 for it. Used that money to buy 2 iPhone 3G's for the wife and myself and still pocketed $200.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

As an original iPhone user, and only ever t-mobile customer, (ZiPhone was the unlock tool I had to use way back when), I must say that I honestly miss it, banged and battered as it was. I recently (a week ago) upgraded to an iPhone 5, now that T-Mobile finally got with the program but I swear my original jailbroken iPhone could do as much if not more. Don't get me wrong, new screen, faster speeds, sure, all those bells and up to date whistles, but I'm afraid to drop it and I can't do a 10th of what I could with my jailbroken original! That the timing of T-Mobiles release of their 'official' iPhone came only a week or two after Apple patched Evasions wonderful work really irks me. T-Mobile iPhone users (pre iPhone 5) will understand. We've been in the world of unlock/jailbreak from the get go and this is our reward..? :-\ Sometimes I wonder.

Original iPhone, you will be remembered and for a while at least, greatly missed!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I remember getting the original iphone when it first came out. The how nervous I was when jailbreaking it (when it was a little more involved then running a program and clicking a button.) I still have mine, turn it on every now and then just to relive "the old days".

It was definitely a beats phone.

Banned
    Thanks

I got one in the cupboard in the box. I think its the best iPhone as its made of steal not plastic. When I upgraded to the 3G I have this to my daughter and she dropped it and put it through the tests and its still fine. It works without any problems.
    You try the same tests with the iPhone 5 and I bet it'll break first go.

I remember my favorite pic of the iPhone compared to a rock. Both cant send MMS, both cant record Video, Both dont have a front camera, Both dont have a memory card slot. BUT if you drop it the rock wont break. So the rock is better than an iPhone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by b1997469 View Post
    I got one in the cupboard in the box. I think its the best iPhone as its made of steal not plastic. When I upgraded to the 3G I have this to my daughter and she dropped it and put it through the tests and its still fine. It works without any problems.
    You try the same tests with the iPhone 5 and I bet it'll break first go.

I remember my favorite pic of the iPhone compared to a rock. Both cant send MMS, both cant record Video, Both dont have a front camera, Both dont have a memory card slot. BUT if you drop it the rock wont break. So the rock is better than an iPhone.
    It was made of aluminum and plastic, not steel. The iPhone 5 is made of CNC'd aluminum and gorilla glass, much better and stronger materials.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by radioBirdman View Post
    It kinda is. Despite the external similarities with the 3GS, the internal hardware is the exact same as the original iPhone except with a 3G radio that has GPS.

The firmware filenames make this clear:
    iPhone1,0 - original iPhone
    iPhone1,1 - iPhone 3G
    iPhone2,0 - iPhone 3GS

Same memory.
    Same CPU.
    Same GPU.
    Same frequencies (speeds).
    Yes, even the Bluetooth hardware that Apple claimed was different when excusing themselves for disabling A2DP on it was actually the same. A2DP Enabler proves this for jailbroken phones. The real reason iOS4 was released for 3G and not original iPhone was because 3G users were not all eligible for upgrades yet.

The iPod Touch 2G was actually slightly better/faster.
    Last edited by CZroe; 04-30-2013 at 10:52 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
    It kinda is. Despite the external similarities with the 3GS, the internal hardware is the exact same as the original iPhone except with a 3G radio that has GPS.

The firmware filenames make this clear:
    iPhone1,0 - original iPhone
    iPhone1,1 - iPhone 3G
    iPhone2,0 - iPhone 3GS

Same memory.
    Same CPU.
    Same GPU.
    Same frequencies (speeds).
    Yes, even the Bluetooth hardware that Apple claimed was different when excusing themselves from disabling A2DP on it was actually the same. A2DP Enabler proves this for jailbroken phones. The real reason iOS4 was released for 3G and not 3GS was because 3G users were not all eligible for upgrades yet.

The iPod Touch 2G was actually slightly better/faster.
    All good things must come to a end when better and faster technology becomes aviliable it is the nature of the electronics Buisness!

iPhone? More like MyPhone ABOSWORTH's Avatar
    Thanks

In other news, water is wet.

I even don't know who I really am
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,006 Times in 2,354 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Colin9001 View Post
    Enjoy that 3.1.3 advanced OS
    Actually, great Firmware! Stable, 8 different ways to jailbreak.
    Blobs up the Ying-Yang! I'd take one. Should have never of sold mine

Thanks

3.1.3 was my first jailbreak... I waited for a while for that one...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,056 Times in 924 Posts

Wish I had one...that phone changed the world!

Thanks

If you own a iphone 3g or 3gs models in holland the apple store rufuse to repair them saying its cheaper to buy a new one , the biggest no comes for the power button , as its not repairable according to apple