+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Messaging Through Chat Applications Has Finally Overtaken SMS in Popularity

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
SMS messaging is losing its popularity to free chat applications according to a research firm known as Informa . Free chat applications, such as Facebook Messenger, iMessage, and others, are
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Messaging Through Chat Applications Has Finally Overtaken SMS in Popularity

SMS messaging is losing its popularity to free chat applications according to a research firm known as Informa. Free chat applications, such as Facebook Messenger, iMessage, and others, are apparently grabbing more interest from users.

According to the research firm, only 17.6 billion SMS messages were sent in 2012, while more than 19 billion messages were sent across all kinds of chat applications in 2012, which are becoming more popular among users and are expected to only become more popular as time goes on. Apple also introduced iMessage in iOS 5, a chat feature that works from the Messages application like SMS. iMessage messages are different from SMS messages – they offer more flexibility, features, and Apple's own iCloud servers handle iMessages.

Facebook has also been pushing users to take advantage of their own chat service, Facebook Messenger. The service is offered for free for all Facebook users, and makes it easy to keep in touch with friends. Just recently, Facebook launched a new Chat Heads feature to make messaging in the Facebook application easier and more fun.

While some wireless carriers offer unlimited texting plans for a monthly premium, some plans still only give users a limited amount of text messages per month and charge extra for each text message sent after reaching the limit. The carrier limitations and even costs of SMS messaging offer more incentive for users to look for and use free alternatives to SMS messaging for keeping in contact with their friends on a daily basis.

Informa's Ms. Clark-Dickson explains to BBC that even though smartphones can take advantage of other chatting solutions, SMS probably won’t be going anywhere any time soon because it doesn’t require a smartphone to send messages via SMS. It can also be used across multiple platforms, which is sometimes a limitation of those chatting applications that are becoming more popular:

Quote Originally Posted by Informa
    There is a lot of life still in SMS. They (non-smartphone users) don't have mobile data plans, so there is an awfully big base of mobile phone users who are going to still find that SMS is the best messaging experience for them for a while. There are a few things that, I think, will keep the SMS alive for a few years yet.
    I have to admit; I probably use iMessage even more than SMS. I find that most of my friends have an iPhone, so I hardly ever use SMS. Do you find yourself using SMS, or other chatting solutions more? We’d love to hear in the comments!

Sources: Informa via BBC

Thanks

..and the popularity will continue to grow..its FREE :]

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

iMessage & Facebook chat cause it's FREE

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    If you took the fact that iMessage overrides the default SMS for iPhone this probably would not be right if that was taken in to consideration

iPhone? More like MyPhone bigbaba's Avatar
    Thanks

I wonder if this includes bbm?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Won't be long till the networks find a way to charge for these services!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Saved0ne's Avatar
    Thanks

I think the fact that iMessage is free, quick, and provides delivery reports is why I love it the most... plus the blue is pretty hahah. But I use iMessage more than anything else to send messages. I only use FB chat for people I don't talk to much.

Chat apps are awesome because it provides iPod touch users and other smartphone users the ability to talk, such as kik, for example.

But I don't think SMS will be phased out anytime soon.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ABOSWORTH's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpySod View Post
    Won't be long till the networks find a way to charge for these services!
    I wouldn't be surprised...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

And AT&T planned ahead of the iMessage release and eliminated the $5/200 SMS and the $10/1000 SMS plans, and force everyone on the $20/unlim.

Blood suckers!

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't even have a texting plan.

iPhone? More like MyPhone shigh's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deltabell View Post
    If you took the fact that iMessage overrides the default SMS for iPhone this probably would not be right if that was taken in to consideration
    So you would use sms over imessage? Regardless i the person ur contacting has imessage? 😶

Thanks

iMessage, Kik, Textplus, Facebook, and the list goes on.