+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'WeatherUnderground for Notification Center' is an Informative New Weather Widget

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The stock iOS Weather application is a little… eh… boring. So why not replace it with a better one? A new free Notification Center widget called WeatherUnderground for Notification Center
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 773 Posts

Default 'WeatherUnderground for Notification Center' is an Informative New Weather Widget

The stock iOS Weather application is a little… eh… boring. So why not replace it with a better one? A new free Notification Center widget called WeatherUnderground for Notification Center by iOS developer Andrew MacKie-Mason pulls your weather information directly from Weather Underground, and it’s more informative than iOS’ stock Weather application.

You will get the main widget, shown above in the middle, that looks similar to the stock Weather application widget. It displays an icon to show the weather conditions outside, as well as the temperature. Additional information, such as what the weather actually feels like, the humidity level, and the wind speed is also included.

Swiping to the left on the widget reveals the widget above on the left, which shows the temperature, and what the temperature actually feels like in a more detailed format. You will see a line graph where you can view how the temperature will change throughout the day, and you will get information about the highs and lows for the day.

Swiping to the right on the widget reveals the widget above on the right, which shows what the weather will be like for the next 4 days (unfortunately, not the next 7 days). You get the expected highs and lows for the day, as well as the rain chances.

If you swipe all the way to the left, you will get the widget's credits, as well as a refresh button that you can use to refresh your Weather information in the widget:

If you tap on the widget, Mobile Safari will be launched with all of the weather information loaded for you about your current location on the Weather Underground Web site. The widget detects your current location for you automatically, and there doesn't appear to be a way to edit the location.

When you head over to the Settings application, and go into the Notifications preferences pane, you will be able to enable and disable the widget on demand. You can tap on the widget pane to reveal some additional options:

The options you can configure include a data refresh delay, an hourly forecast length, and a place to input your API key. To get an API key from Weather Underground, you will need to sign up and get a free one via this link.

WeatherUnderground for Notification Center is not only free, but it’s also open source. You can view the source code for the Notification Center widget via this GitHub link. WeatherUnderground for Notification Center is compatible with iOS 6. If you're interested in trying it out, you will find it in Cydia's BigBoss repository right now!

Name: WeatherUnderground for Notification Center
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.1.2-3
    Requirements: iOS 6
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Andrew MacKie-Mason
    Editor's Rating:  4/5
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 04-28-2013 at 09:24 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

Lando_Jarvis (04-29-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Breezy215's Avatar
    Thanks

I'll be glad when someone figures out how to use yahoo weather app as a lockscreen widget

Banned
    Thanks

Pity it doesn't work on the iPad.

AND It doesn't work in IOS 5.1.1 either. It says it needs IOS 6.0
    Last edited by b1997469; 04-28-2013 at 09:05 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

damn i definitely want this sort of a mod to the regular weather widget... we definitely need to have the "feels like" option in the stock weather widget!!

Previously known as weedsmart
    Thanks

Edit: wrong thread

Livin the iPhone Life Sniper488's Avatar
    Thanks

I signed up but where do you see your api key?

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 773 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper488 View Post
    I signed up but where do you see your api key?
    It will show up on their Web site in your API settings.

Thanks

I'm there but where do you find that?

Banned
    Thanks

It got updated and now it works on the iPad but its all in F. How do I change it to C?

Thanks

Got it to work, had to resubmit everything and then it was successful and showed my key!

iPhone? More like MyPhone sirbebe's Avatar
    Thanks

Forecast dose about the same and blends in nicely with the lock screen.
    Black iPhone 4 32G jail-broken iOS 5.1 R.P

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper488 View Post
    Got it to work, had to resubmit everything and then it was successful and showed my key!
    I signed up and couldn't find my API key. What do you mean by resubmitting everything?

Thanks

To get the key took me 10 mins. It's a huge mess. And now that I have the key everything is cluttered and centered on the left margin. I'd say this tweak is in early alpha state.

Edit: a respring solved the layout issues. Would like to see Celsius support. Albeit this - nice alternative to the stock app.

Edit2: It's messes up again. Not useable atm.
    Last edited by Lando_Jarvis; 04-29-2013 at 03:28 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I'm still confused on how to get an API key. I created account. Went through the options for the plan. Then when I get to the summary, I see what my summary is but I get no option to submit or don't get an API. What am I doing wrong?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lando_Jarvis View Post
    To get the key took me 10 mins. It's a huge mess. And now that I have the key everything is cluttered and centered on the left margin. I'd say this tweak is in early alpha state.
    exact same issue. It looks great in Notification Center, but the widget is smashed on the left side of the screen, sort of overlapping itself. I would love to use this, as it has more info than Weather Widget.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Never mind. Had to do it on my laptop. Eh it's an okay app so far. Can't get my location right. Keeps giving me the weather for the neighboring city