+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'DataChanger' Lets You Replace the 4G Indicator With 3G

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,103 Times in 808 Posts

Default 'DataChanger' Lets You Replace the 4G Indicator With 3G

Carriers like AT&T tout having massive 4G networks with nationwide 4G coverage, when in reality, itís mostly 4G HSPA+ with very little 4G LTE mixed in. If youíre one of the many that still disagrees that HSPA+ should be considered part of the 4G network spectrum, then you can stop fooling yourself and replace your 4G indicator in your Status Bar with a 3G indicator.

The jailbreak tweak youíll need to do this is called DataChanger by iOS developer rms, and it is now available in Cydia's BigBoss repository for free. DataChanger will make it so whenever you connect to 4G HSPA+, a 3G indicator appears in your Status Bar. On the other hand, if you connect to 4G LTE, you will still see the LTE indicator, that way you will be content with knowing when you are connected to the truest 4G network there is.

Even though the Status Bar will say 3G, the tweak is not dropping your connection from 4G HSPA+ to 3G HSPA, so the tweak definitely doesnít slow down your data speeds.

DataChanger doesnít come with any options to configure, and itís not exactly the worldís most useful tweak either. On the other hand, if that 4G indicator is just bugging you to no end, you can use this tweak to get rid of it.

Name: DataChanger
    Price: FREE
    Version: 0.0.1-1
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: rms

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I don't know how you can argue with hspa+ not being 4g. Really lte should be considered 5g or not even tag it as a generation. Hspa+ is more than twice as fast as hspa for me according to the speedtest app. Lte is crazy fast considering your probably never going to use 30mbps at once on your phone, unless you tether which I would bet that 99% of people who own smartphones don't tether.

Thanks

What....? Why...?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pkmaximum For This Useful Post:

2fast (04-28-2013), iH85CH001 (04-28-2013), vinaygoel2000 (04-28-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Technically current LTE isn't 4G. Real 4G is LTE-Advanced and supposedly it isn't really 4G until you have throughput of 1Gb down stationary and 100Mb down at 60 mph. Just sayin'.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Glad someone finally made a user-friendly tweak, rather than having to edit the bundles

What really bugs me is not having a '3G' toggle in cellular settings.
    (When getting throttled to Edge speeds, why connect to LTE or even HSPA+ for the same speed at the cost of more battery!)

iPhone 5 AT&T

iPhone? More like MyPhone Mc-Lovin_341's Avatar
    Thanks

Is they any way of having a 4g icon rather that a 3G one. I'm from UK and they's only one network that does 4g and its 15mbps d/l which is barely 4g

Thanks

4G - as defined by Ofcom here in the UK should give speeds of 6Mbits/s - nice to see they are aiming high....
    Ofcom | What is 4G?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

My iPhone is a Part of Me GrandMstrBud's Avatar
    Thanks

I thought this app was supposed to change the 3G icon to 4G? Installed and it did nothing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
    I thought this app was supposed to change the 3G icon to 4G? Installed and it did nothing.
    That's exactly the opposite of what it does...
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
    You have it backwards. It changes the 4G to a 3G. Why you ask? None of us know why anyone would bother to develop a tweak that is so useless.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I was just talking with an AT&T rep and we were discussing what data speeds I was getting in Clintonville, Wisconsin. I informed the rep that I occasionally got a 4G on my phone so I must be getting some 4G for a little bit of the time. She said no. That there is NO 4G in my area. I then asked her why my phone was saying 4G in the upper left hand corner.
    She didnt have a good answer for that other than to say that it still wasnt really 4G. I then asked her if thats even legal or is a form of false advertising... She also didnt have a good answer for that...