+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sprint Earnings Show Dip in iPhone Sales, Subscriber Base

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Sprint Earnings Show Dip in iPhone Sales, Subscriber Base

On Wednesday, Sprint - the nation's third largest wireless carrier - topped Wall Street estimates while still posting a first-quarter 2013 loss of $643 million. In Q1 of 2012, the company's net loss was much greater at $863 million.

For the quarter ending March 31, 2013, 1.5 million iPhone sales represented a decline from the 2.2 million iPhone sales logged during Q4 of 2012. Total smartphone sales for the quarter were 5 million.

Perhaps the most troubling aspect of today's earnings report is that Sprint saw a precipitous decline in its subscriber base. From January through March of this year, Sprint shed 560,000 subscribers.

All told, shares of Sprint didn't take much of a hit today. Why? Losses continue to narrow. Additionally, the wireless operator has been fielding promising acquisition and merger proposals from the likes of DISH Network Corp. and SoftBank Corp.

“This is a transformative year for Sprint and we’ve gotten off to a good start,” said Dan Hesse, Sprint CEO. “Record Sprint platform service revenue and subscriber levels fueled our performance. We achieved significant Adjusted OIBDA growth while investing heavily to improve our network, expanding our 4G LTE footprint and offering customers the best smartphones with truly unlimited data plans.”

Source: Sprint

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Sprint. LOL! The iPhone runs like azz on that network (slow CDMA/EVDO, poor coverage, drops, no simultaneous voice/data). Perhaps for the Billions spent on that Apple deal Sprint should have insisted they include WiMax and iDen (push to talk) radios in their iPhones ;^(...

They better stop playing hard to get like a delusional fat chick at a prom concealing a weeping girdle and struggling spanks under garments. Softbank and Dish are asking to dance, so pick one and dance before your girdle/spanks combo explodes!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lohand View Post
    Sprint. LOL! The iPhone runs like azz on that network (slow CDMA/EVDO, poor coverage, drops, no simultaneous voice/data). Perhaps for the Billions spent on that Apple deal Sprint should have insisted they include WiMax and iDen (push to talk) radios in their iPhones ;^(...

They better stop playing hard to get like a delusional fat chick at a prom concealing a weeping girdle and struggling spanks under garments. Softbank and Dish are asking to dance, so pick one and dance before your girdle/spanks combo explodes!
    Sprints ready to get bought out just a matter of being approved by the government. All the share holders (including me)are onboard because we want our shares to go up.

Personally hoping softbank is the company who buys Sprint out, as they already have LTE rolled out in Japan with the same frequency, which means they have access to all the equipment sprint needs for an aggressive rollout (backed with the $20B they are putting in) by the end of the year. Plus their LTE I believe was topping out at around 110mbps. Which would be great.

Oh and Softbank is great partners with sony, and sharp and a few other asian companies who make great androids. Although I'm an iPhone fanboy, more options and competition the better I think!

c0w
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by UrghArgh View Post
    Declining sales and a shrinking subscriber base is hardly surprising when your service sucks worse than all of your competition. I'll bet a good chunk of those 560,000 lost subscribers were customers that had just freshly upgraded to an iPhone 5 and then promptly returned it and switched to ATT or Verizon.
    I was one of those ppl!!! I had been a loyal customer since the days of the palm 700w! the Internet back then was ok until the iPhone5!!! My GF is stuck in her contract and wants to throw her phone whenever she tries to load anything using the Internet!!!!! I switched to Verizon and it was like a breath of fresh air!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I have Sprint and their 3G speeds is an absolute joke...totally unusable, might as well not have it but everything else is great.
    Last edited by swifty7; 04-25-2013 at 02:19 AM.

Thanks

I've never heard anyone say anything good about sprint..how are they one of the giants in the industry?