+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's 'Antennagate' Settlement Checks Out for Delivery

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default Apple's 'Antennagate' Settlement Checks Out for Delivery

Apple has begun distributing settlement-related checks to iPhone 4 owners who filed their claims in a class-action lawsuit targeting the Cupertino, California-based iDevice maker.

Stepping from the controversy dubbed 'Antennagate' by the blogosphere, the $15 settlement checks are meant to bring about a final end to the long battles surrounding Apple internally and externally.

So if you were a party to this settlement and haven't yet received your check in the mail, be careful not to dump any unwanted mail or leave anything from Apple unopened.

Antennagate, as if you need a reminder, was born of Apple’s idea to make the smartphone antenna an external feature of the iPhone 4. Unfortunately for Apple, cooking up a new design meant taking considerable heat after the fact.

Following the iPhone 4's release, concerns about the new antenna mounted. But, at the end of the day, it's nothing that a $53 million dollar settlement can't handle.

Oh, and by the way, if you have any trouble cashing the settlement check... that probably just means that you're "holding it wrong."

Source: Ars Technica

Thanks

Not really sure why settlements like this even exist. $15 a head for what? If you had antennae problems and were in an emergency then what? Silly to me. Our governments answer to everything is a payout. As of that really hurts an entity worth billions. Apple definitely got the last laugh on this one.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigboyz For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (04-23-2013), kosher1 (04-23-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Not really sure why settlements like this even exist. $15 a head for what? If you had antennae problems and were in an emergency then what? Silly to me. Our governments answer to everything is a payout. As of that really hurts an entity worth billions. Apple definitely got the last laugh on this one.
    I agree. All iPhone 4 owners should've been given a free 4S as a replacement.

No sarcasm intended.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to vinaygoel2000 For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (04-23-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Apple definitely got the last laugh on this one.
    How, exactly? Even for a multi-billion dollar company, $53 million isn't chump change.

Thanks

$53,000,000.00 is a losing situation even for apple.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

SMH...such a pointless lawsuit.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GTRagnarok View Post
    How, exactly? Even for a multi-billion dollar company, $53 million isn't chump change.
    The $15 dollars should have been in the form of a itunes Gift card then Apple would get it all back and then some.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tridley68 For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (04-23-2013)

Thanks

Lol

Thanks

Couldn't you of just returned your phone?

iPhone? More like MyPhone kosher1's Avatar
    Thanks

The attorneys pocket all the money in these lame class actions.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kosher1 For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (04-23-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me slim.jim's Avatar
    Thanks

They gave out free cases, most of which retailed for $30. Wasn't that enough... Many companies wouldn't have done anything.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I wanted Apple to do a full replacement with coated antenna so I do not lose reception just by holding the damn phone.
    Though I do not have iPhone 4 anymore I lived with it for 2 years, that is worth more than $15 on dropped calls + repeat what I had to say because of bad reception yet still charged for making longer calls.
    Apple got away with this cheap I personally would want more than this measly $15, too bad the lawyers got most of the money for this class action lawsuit. I personally prefer to do it at small claims court, cut out the damn lawyers and get higher payout than what is offered from class action lawsuit.

Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
    They gave out free cases, most of which retailed for $30. Wasn't that enough... Many companies wouldn't have done anything.
    Please... Retailers sells those bumpers for $1.50 on Amazon and eBay and still makes money, for Apple buying in bulk it cost Apple less than the postage that it cost to send it.
    Last edited by unison999; 04-23-2013 at 06:01 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to unison999 For This Useful Post:

vinaygoel2000 (04-23-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    I wanted Apple to do a full replacement with coated antenna so I do not lose reception just by holding the damn phone.
    Yeah, that's all I need is an iPhone that has a coating flaking off.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
    Yeah, that's all I need is an iPhone that has a coating flaking off.
    You could get a vinyl skin for the antenna in almost any color you wanted off Etsy for a few dollars. They worked great and added a nice touch of color. I'd love to know where you could buy a name brand case or official Apple bumper for $1.50. I have tried all the eBay cases and none of them end up holding up as well as a speck, contour, incase, etc.

Thanks

Couldn't you of just returned your phone?
    You think Apple would also return $500 worth of apps I bought?

iPhone 4 was and is a defective phone and should be taken out of market. End of discussion.

You could get a vinyl skin for the antenna in almost any color you wanted off Etsy for a few dollars. They worked great and added a nice touch of color. I'd love to know where you could buy a name brand case or official Apple bumper for $1.50. I have tried all the eBay cases and none of them end up holding up as well as a speck, contour, incase, etc.
    Get it from meritline.com. It'll even come in Apple packaging. $2 shipped. It'll come from where its manufactured.

Thanks

I have no complaints about the iPhone 4, that was in repose to the solution of adding a coating over the antenna. I rather have bare metal over a coating. Apple did do a coating because any coating would wear faster than any other part of the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    You think Apple would also return $500 worth of apps I bought?

iPhone 4 was and is a defective phone and should be taken out of market. End of discussion.
    Yeah, my wife cheats on me and makes me feel worthless... I already bought her a boob job so I'm kinda committed.
    Last edited by Norb; 04-23-2013 at 06:39 PM.

Thanks

I have no complaints about the iPhone 4, that was in repose to the solution of adding a coating over the antenna. I rather have bare metal over a coating. Apple did do a coating because any coating would wear faster than any other part of the phone.
    I wasn't arguing against your comment about the coating, I was more reinforcing it that I wouldn't want a coating on it either but those who did could easily get one. I never had any issues with the iPhone 4 antenna problems myself and I am left handed and always hold the phone in my left hand, supposedly that made it worse.

Thanks

Yeah, my wife cheats on me and makes me feel worthless... I already bought her a boob job so I'm kinda committed.
    That and iPhone is the best phone out there. They messed up on the 4 and they should pull the product off the shelf. Simple as that.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iH85CH001's Avatar
    Thanks

its better than nothing.

its better than nothing dude.

its better than nothing man...
    Last edited by iH85CH001; 04-23-2013 at 09:29 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

It may not hurt them much or cripple them.....but it stings. And even Apple is upset. $53mil is a lot of money wasted on reimbursements for a design flaw on their part. That's ALOT of money that could be well spent on countless numbers of better uses within the company.