+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Reportedly Returns Millions of Bad iPhones to Foxconn

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Apple Reportedly Returns Millions of Bad iPhones to Foxconn

When consumers buy a gadget that doesn't work as advertised, they return it for an exchange with one that does. Same goes for Apple when Foxconn delivers a product that isn't up to Apple's standards.

According to published reports early Monday morning, Apple has returned somewhere between 5 and 8 million iPhones to Foxconn. The devices were deemed "defective" by sources speaking with China Business.

The defective aspect of the devices has only been vaguely described as an "appearance of substandard or dysfunctional problems. What that means, exactly, is yet to be determined. But Foxconn could take a hit worth $1.6 billion to cover the cost of repairs or replacements.

China Business is silent on which model of iPhone failed Apple's quality tests. If it's the current iPhone 5, or the still-on-sale 4S, the impact of eight million phones failing to appear would punch a two-or-three-week hole in Apple's supply chain.
    It remains to be seen if or how severe the setback will impact plans to launch the iPhone 5S this summer.

Source: U.K. Register

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,608 Times in 667 Posts

Wonder what samsungs and the other companies are then lmao??? My buddy has went thru 3-4 moto Atrixs, 3 gs2, and 2 gs3, and is now on his 2nd or 3 rd nexus plus switching between carriers lol

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree with poster above. My bud at work is always getting his droid replaced at least once a month. I'm not even exaggerating.

Thanks

I wonder what the percentage of returned phones is in relation to overall production numbers... Like is this 1 in 100 or 5-8 million out of 1 billion... Crazy... I'm glad my iPhones have been good to go... Never had to return one, never had problems (except for problems I've caused by messing with tweaks that weren't compatible.)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    Wonder what samsungs and the other companies are then lmao??? My buddy has went thru 3-4 moto Atrixs, 3 gs2, and 2 gs3, and is now on his 2nd or 3 rd nexus plus switching between carriers lol
    Tell your friend to stop dropping his phone in the toilet.

Thanks

iPhone 5 Sleep/Wake button I bet!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    I agree with poster above. My bud at work is always getting his droid replaced at least once a month. I'm not even exaggerating.
    Once the device has been purchased in the consumer level, the one year warranty takes affect. That's done through refurbishing programs where the loss is basically recycled. In this case, I think these were defective right out of the plant so the manufacturer has to take the hit without the turn-around that refurbishing the phone would give.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ugotpwned5 View Post
    iPhone 5 Sleep/Wake button I bet!
    Pain in the hole of a button. I got my first iPhone 5 replaced because of it, and in less than 24 hours use if was the same on the replacement.
    Couldn't be bothered trying for another.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    lmao., you drag Samsung and other companies into this to do what? make excuses for apple? Samsung sells 4 times the number of phones apple does so Im sure they have returns as well--millions of them? perhaps perhaps not.

Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    so a guy replaces his phone at "least" once a month and all this is the manufacturers fault? dont you think your bud is the problem? or are you one of those who likes to make excuses for apple?
    Last edited by jOnGarrett; 04-22-2013 at 01:30 PM.

Thanks

I had to return my first iphone 5 -- disagreeable home button out of the box. Replacement works perfectly.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anekin007 View Post
    Tell your friend to stop dropping his phone in the toilet.
    U can still fix that! Refer to the other article about the yahoo app

Thanks

The difference in looks between a used black iPhone 4s and black iPhone 5 is night and day!
    The 5s (in addition to the other rumored tweaks) will fix that by finally implementing "liquid metal" watch!

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,608 Times in 667 Posts

Had 3G, 4, 4S and now the 5 and never had any issues/never had to send one back. No issues with my 5 either and have had it since 9-21-12 1st day available 😛

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    so a guy replaces his phone at "least" once a month and all this is the manufacturers fault? dont you think your bud is the problem? or are you one of those who likes to make excuses for apple?
    He's a licensed professional engineer. Trust me he's not clumsy. His phone will have the most unique issues too: phone rings on a call - u touch the phone and it'll answer; won't receive text - phone and email works; etc.

Thanks

My first iPhone 5 suddenly started saying "no service" a few months after release and bricked completely when I attempted a restore. No hassle replacing it, except that the closest Apple Store is vey far away.