+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS Developer Working on Hack to Bring Facebook Chat Heads Everywhere in iOS

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iOS Developer Working on Hack to Bring Facebook Chat Heads Everywhere in iOS

Facebook 6.0 was released just a few days ago and added support for a new feature called Chat Heads, which allows you to keep your Facebook chats open in the Facebook application from anywhere in the application. The Chat Heads can be moved around by tapping and holding, then dragging them, and deleted by dragging to the bottom of the display where the deletion area is.

The feature is popular among users, and many iOS users want to be able to use Facebook Chat Heads anywhere in iOS just like Android users can in Facebook Home.

Citing The Verge, 21-year-old iOS developer Adam Bell is in the process of developing a small hack to bring Facebook’s Chat Heads system-wide. This will allow users to keep messaging their Facebook friends with the Chat Heads feature while on the home screen, or within other non-Facebook applications. The hack will be released as a jailbreak tweak in Cydia – The Verge has a video demonstration of an early beta of the tweak, which can be viewed below:

For a mobile-friendly video link that works with our app, tap on the video link below:

YouTube Video

As shown, the tweak is still in an early development stage, so there are still some bugs that need to be worked out before it can be released to the public. For now, the beta serves as a proof of concept that will likely become popular among Facebook Chat Heads-lovers when it can be released to the public.

Bell, the developer of the hack, notes that the tweak won’t be very resource heavy. We will be looking forward to the release of the tweak, and we will be sure to keep you updated!

Sources: The Verge

Thanks
    Thanked 2,887 Times in 1,462 Posts

This would be cool IF it was used for messages app and facebook..i barely use fb so for me itd mever be used

iPhone? More like MyPhone Boker's Avatar
    Thanks

That is hands down awesome.. I wish sms, facebook, and twitter messaging could all just be incorporated into one app.

Green Apple
    Thanks

The latest FaceBook update makes me wish I had never update it! and the chat heads thing is the most annoying part of it.

If I wanted stupid gimmicky features on my cell phone I'd own an Android!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AdonisBlue View Post
    The latest FaceBook update makes me wish I had never update it! and the chat heads thing is the most annoying part of it.

If I wanted stupid gimmicky features on my cell phone I'd own an Android!
    Disagree. I think chat heads are an amazing innovation to Facebook. I wish it was adopted for iMessage. I like being able to quickly access a conversation without having to dig for it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

What are the chances that Apple might implement this if it turns out to be a success? I mean, they're already trying to do integration with Facebook, this is just the next step. Bell, I'd imagine you might have an offer sometime soon.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fimeg View Post
    What are the chances that Apple might implement this if it turns out to be a success? I mean, they're already trying to do integration with Facebook, this is just the next step. Bell, I'd imagine you might have an offer sometime soon.
    Unlikely. Highly unlikely.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fimeg View Post
    It wouldn't be like Apple to let a third-party company take messaging control over iOS. That's something you'll only find on Android.

Apple would make a competitor before they allowed Facebook's chat heads to pop up all over iOS.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DA_GHOST View Post
    This would be cool IF it was used for messages app and facebook..i barely use fb so for me itd mever be used
    The first second I saw chat heads I thought, if I knew how I would make a jailbreak tweak that would add this feature to either the messaging app or even better biteSMS. I rarely use fb messaging myself, but I like the idea if having something similar to chat heads across my entire device for messaging