Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is This The Budget iPhone's Plastic Rear Shell?

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default Is This The Budget iPhone's Plastic Rear Shell?

For the second time this week, Tactus is challenging us to consider whether the exclusive images shared on their tech blog are, indeed, legitimate.

On Thursday morning, the tech world was asked to take a gander at what is purportedly the plastic rear shell of the low-cost iPhone, which is rumored for roll-out to consumers later this year.

"So what exactly is this image hinting at?" Tactus posts. "Well, it looks like it features an all uniform plastic polycarbonate shell very different to the iPhone 5′s sleek aluminum look, but still modern and covetable..."

"...the plastic shell measures in at 0.4-0.6mm thick," the speculation continues, "however the actual phone might be around 9mm thick, 120mm in height and around 62-65mm in width, which means its likely both taller and wider than the iPhone 4/4s!"

Although an increasingly wide array of industry analysts and sources believe that Apple's next-gen iPhone - the iPhone 5S - will debut in early summer, there are still few solid leads to suggest that the so-called budget-iPhone is poised for imminent release.

Source: Tactus

As mush as I want to be more considerate about the idea of cheap iPhone, I really dont see Apple's point if they will ever do this. iPhone 4 is already free and soon will be iPhone4s and so on. Im sure Apple wont make any phone worst than 4 or 4s. If they will align this cheap iPhone with the new iPhones with cheaper materials, they will kill the high end iPhones or vice versa. I really dont grasps the purpose of cheap iPhone u guys. Help!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sean637 For This Useful Post:

iH85CH001 (04-19-2013)

Yeah idk either. So why should I pay for a cheaper iPhone when I can get the 4 for free? Unless it has anything to do with contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by sean637 View Post
    As mush as I want to be more considerate about the idea of cheap iPhone, I really dont see Apple's point if they will ever do this. iPhone 4 is already free and soon will be iPhone4s and so on. Im sure Apple wont make any phone worst than 4 or 4s. If they will align this cheap iPhone with the new iPhones with cheaper materials, they will kill the high end iPhones or vice versa. I really dont grasps the purpose of cheap iPhone u guys. Help!
    One word; "India" (and China and Africa). Ok three words ;^)...

Thanks
    Hope this is not the real one of cheap IP5s
    its so ugly......

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i kind of like the plastic backing it looks like it would be less prone to scratches...

Mr Jobs must be tossing in his grave, he hated the plastic idea... i rather spend a little more and get the real deal

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    Yeah idk either. So why should I pay for a cheaper iPhone when I can get the 4 for free? Unless it has anything to do with contracts.
    It's a budget iPhone that is below the $400 price mark. The 8GB iPhone 4 from Verizon is $449 retail. They're putting out a cheaper iPhone to get people with a lower income a taste of iOS. Then one day hopefully they'll be able to afford the real deal. Building brand loyalty in other words just like Samsung. Have to think with a business sense of mind.

The only time I have ever seen the back of my iPhone is when I'm transferring it from otter box to lifeproof case. Lol

Interesting. Still like the feel of the 3G and 3GS because of the curved back. Well I guess we will see soon enough....

Yea i don't think this is for the us market more so the other county's

I agree 100% sean637 about the idea of cheaper version of iPhone and yes it will kill the high end iPhones and I have no idea what Apple is getting at with this so-called "cheap iPhones".....

So offering an unsubsidized iPhone under $400 is a bad idea? How come this is so hard for people to understand? The iPhone 4 8GB unsubsidized is $450. People who can't afford that, will be able to get this budget unlocked iPhone to take to any carrier.

Why? Because google has an unlocked premium android smartphone (nexus 4) for $300 that's why they have to do it.
    The only things apple needs to catch up (sort off) specially in emerging markets is allow iOS to perform Bluetooth file transfers include NFC and price that close to $300 and they will seriously step on google's toes. This device will not be sold in the US through official channels I suspect, it will mostly be for foreign markets where most carrier are prepaid and there is no subsidy model or contracts for users.

Love this tbh. Best iPhone to hold is the 3G/s, I have the iPhone 5 but loved the 3GS in the hand felt much more comfortable

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mc-Lovin_341 For This Useful Post:

iH85CH001 (04-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Rickyfl84 View Post
    Why? Because google has an unlocked premium android smartphone (nexus 4) for $300 that's why they have to do it.
    The only things apple needs to catch up (sort off) specially in emerging markets is allow iOS to perform Bluetooth file transfers include NFC and price that close to $300 and they will seriously step on google's toes. This device will not be sold in the US through official channels I suspect, it will mostly be for foreign markets where most carrier are prepaid and there is no subsidy model or contracts for users.
    +1 for Bluetooth file transfer and also sd cards would be nice but won't ever happen since apple will probably not move away from using iTunes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sean637 View Post
    I agree

Quote Originally Posted by Mc-Lovin_341 View Post
    Love this tbh. Best iPhone to hold is the 3G/s, I have the iPhone 5 but loved the 3GS in the hand felt much more comfortable
    I agree.