Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Microsoft Executive Trashes iOS by Calling it "Boring"

Thanks

Default Microsoft Executive Trashes iOS by Calling it "Boring"

At the recent All Things D Conference, Terry Myerson, Microsoft’s head executive for Windows Phone, took the stage to talk about the future of Windows Phone. In the process he also took a few shots at both Apple and Google during the interview and more specifically stated that iOS is “boring.” He mentioned the following:

With Apple, I sense a lack of urgency. When iOS 5 came out and there was a fifth row of icons and not much else, you say, okay, are they running out of steam, is iOS getting boring?”

With Android … it’s kind of a mess, Chrome [OS] and Android coming together, Chrome [OS] does not offer the flexibility of Android.
    When asked for his opinion on Facebook Home and whether Microsoft will try to get it on their devices, Myerson ended up dodging the question. His actions were a bit strange given that Microsoft invested in Facebook before its IPO but has seen the company slowly morph into a competitor of theirs.

Although some may agree with Myerson’s opinion of the iOS platform getting a bit boring, there are millions of iPhone 5 owners who beg to differ. Those who have been waiting for a more drastic change to the iOS platform have something to look forward to as iOS 7 has currently been said to be undergoing a serious UI overhaul thanks to Jony Ive. Ultimately we’ll have to be patient to see how much of the rumor comes to fruition.

Source: ComputerWorld

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

I agree it's boring and not as flashy as WP8 but the bottom line is stability and the App Store that can't be matched. I tried a Lumia 920 for 4 months and would rather have dated looking icons that open current apps. WP8 lacks a lot but it is nicer looking IMHO.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Dummy For This Useful Post:

DA_GHOST (04-18-2013)

He's wrong anyway. It wasn't ios 5 that came with the extra icons, it was the iPhone 5 on ios 6.

At any rate, I had a windows phone (or rather my wife had one) and the live tiles were not what they seemed to be. Not to mention the lack of apps was insane compared to Apples. Boring? Perhaps. But no way is WP8 superior to that of an iPhone. Just look at sales...

The iPhone icons might be a bit dated. They've been around for some time now. Long before windows 7 or 8 phones came about. But personally, I would rather have something that looks dated, than have a missmash of icons around the screen. The windows layout on its phones and win 8 pc's looks horrible.

Reminds me of an old staying "why fix something that's not broken!" So apple haven't.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oldgit9 For This Useful Post:

Reeiiko (04-18-2013), runey71 (04-18-2013), vinaygoel2000 (04-18-2013)

Dated, maybe....functional for work and play, definitely. Windows phone colored squares, I call that a bit boring as well....nothing fancy there as well. Microsoft may want to wait until they are at least #3 in the market before they trash talk.

He's right but stable iOS and phone is what I need

windows 8 phone graphics look like they were made in Windows Paint. At least windows is being loyal to itself it that scenario hahaha!

Maybe when the iphone first came out it was ok but now as it still looks the same it is now boring.
    They should change the look with each version. So the ipad should be on its 4 look now but its still on its first.

Quote Originally Posted by Akshay Masand View Post

At the recent All Things D Conference, Terry Myerson, Microsoft’s head executive for Windows Phone, took the stage to talk about the future of Windows Phone. In the process he also took a few shots at both Apple and Google during the interview and more specifically stated that iOS is “boring.” He mentioned the following:

When asked for his opinion on Facebook Home and whether Microsoft will try to get it on their devices, Myerson ended up dodging the question. His actions were a bit strange given that Microsoft invested in Facebook before its IPO but has seen the company slowly morph into a competitor of theirs.

Although some may agree with Myerson’s opinion of the iOS platform getting a bit boring, there are millions of iPhone 5 owners who beg to differ. Those who have been waiting for a more drastic change to the iOS platform have something to look forward to as iOS 7 has currently been said to be undergoing a serious UI overhaul thanks to Jony Ive. Ultimately we’ll have to be patient to see how much of the rumor comes to fruition.

Source: ComputerWorld
    Yes, quite a lot of expectations from i0S 7.

IOS is pretty boring now, the differences between 5 and 6 are minor and as for being stable, how many versions of IOS have had to be released to overcome issues (apart from fixing the jailbreak), without a jailbreak I would have moved elsewhere to overcome Apples restrictions

13. The Following User Says Thank You to rickuk For This Useful Post:

oldskoolsk8r (04-18-2013)

Clearely he hasn't tried a jailbroken iOS device

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rickuk View Post
    IOS is pretty boring now, the differences between 5 and 6 are minor and as for being stable, how many versions of IOS have had to be released to overcome issues (apart from fixing the jailbreak), without a jailbreak I would have moved elsewhere to overcome Apples restrictions
    Love apple to the core but finally something so true.. iOS 7 needs to be revolutionary or Samsung might just steal customers away again. Come on apple!

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse538 View Post
    windows 8 phone graphics look like they were made in Windows Paint. At least windows is being loyal to itself it that scenario hahaha!
    Ha Ha that is funny once this Terry digs his head out of his bum he will see that IOS is a strong platform and if it ain't broke don't fix it can not wait to see what Apple has in store for us with the release of the 5 s and with IOS 7

Quote Originally Posted by LUFT5_THOR View Post
    I agree it's boring and not as flashy as WP8 but the bottom line is stability and the App Store that can't be matched. I tried a Lumia 920 for 4 months and would rather have dated looking icons that open current apps. WP8 lacks a lot but it is nicer looking IMHO.
    Agreed

Hmmmmm. My iOS device never BLUE SCREENED on me.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kosher1 For This Useful Post:

Silverado1987 (04-18-2013), ttiger (04-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by chiraagnt View Post
    Love apple to the core but finally something so true.. iOS 7 needs to be revolutionary or Samsung might just steal customers away again. Come on apple!
    Not Samsung, but Google. The only reason why I traded in my Galaxy Skyrocket 2 was because of Touchwiz and didn't feel like jumping through hoops to have it removed. If I got a Nexus, then yeah I definitely would've stayed with Android. I'm going to wait to see what Apple has up their sleeve before I jump to the HTC One OR whatever new phone is out.

He's right iOS is boring that's why we jailbreak to give it more spice
    privacy isn't about having something to hide

look here all grammar police, indulge me.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to dsg For This Useful Post:

Silverado1987 (04-18-2013)

It is boring and loooong overdue for a face lift/revamp.... Why is this even news?

I'm gonna bet no huge overhaul. Just new app ui and 200 features+ more features and only 10 of them matter 1 actually is good. That is all

Quote Originally Posted by chiraagnt View Post

This has been going on for a couple years now...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast